Confirmed with Link: [ARI/NYR] Derek Stepan and Antti Raanta for 7th overall and Anthony DeAngelo

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Rangers fan here. I liked Stepan, but he struggled this year. Big cap number and a NMC that kicks in July 1st. Raanta is good, real good. Deserved to play more than he did, but it just wasn't going to happen with Lundqvist, although I wish it did.

Stepan is low end 1st line center, high-end 2nd line center. He is not a Crosby, Malkin, or Kane, but saying he is not in their class is not an insult. He is a good player and you guys will like him.

Now, what can you tell me about DeAngelo? Rumor all week was for Ekman-Larsson.

I posted on your guys' board but opinion slightly varies on Deangelo on this board. I'm one of his biggest proponents in terms of thinking he is a legitimate grade A prospect with a decent chance at becoming a star. The most surprising thing for me this year was how solid he was on defence. On offense, he's just fun to watch as his vision and agility are far and above better than most defencemen in this league.

Last edited:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Stepan isn't a #1, he's a #2A, but at the moment with the inexperience we have down the middle, it was the right call.

I didn't want to lose the #7 overall...but we all have to admit that the #7 wasn't going to help until year 3. This puts a fastforward to respectability and allows us to put Keller alongside Stepan which should help both players.

We did need a starting goalie and Raanta hasn't shown he can become one yet, but he's got great potential.

Although I have to say that this is the most even trade Chayka has pulled off. The other trades he's done he's won each of those by a mile.

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Look at whats happened......The old guard players are out....Tippet out.....Hjalmarsson......Stepan and Raanta........ill take a SLIGHT overpayment on our end for that. Things are looking up IMO

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Overpayment. ****.

Is Stepan better than Ribeiro 2014? Totally different, but is he better?

Yes. Better. Different, but better. Still a real playmaker who doesn't need heavy sheltering. You'll like him.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Overpayment. ****.

Ribeiro had us close to making the playoffs that year, until the melt down. We looked like a dangerous team with him for the first couple months of the season.

I'd like to think Stepan is as good as that additional talent Ribeiro brought, without the nose candy problem.

Would have liked to see how the draft played out before making this deal. This was one of the higher prices I would have paid, but I'm not thrilled right now. Opening day, yep I'm going to be excited. Hoping Chyaka heard his guys were going to be gone by 7. Also hoping we find a way to move up in the draft.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Overpayment. ****.

Both suck on faceoffs and have average mobility at best. Stepan is far more of a two way guy who has no questions about his character and compete level or the off-ice baggage.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Unknown if Keller makes the team this year. But I do think Strome will now he has Stepan to shield him.

I would still rather sit Strome in Tucson for the year lining up with Keller or Fischer.

But if this still allows Strome to be brought along slowly at the NHL level I'm all for it. Just keep Keller down in Tucson for the year with Fischer then

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Glad we didn't keep waiting in the basement before moving the kids. They needed more seasoned pros like Stepan and Hjalmarsson to learn from. It will help their growth in the short term.

Agreed.

Steps will be a good player and excellent leader for the young guys, well worth the price.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'm alot less worried about Strome's chances for success than I was 16 hrs ago.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Excellent move grabbing Antti Raanta. With Scott Darling off the table he's the best unproven goalie in the NHL that was available. Over the past three seasons Raanta has been the most consistent goalie in the NHL and made the 3rd largest impact (GSAA/60) in the same time frame. Now of course in those three years Raanta has averaged ~18 starts per season so like I mentioned above he is unproven.

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Would still like to see us bring back Burmistrov. Seems like he would be a solid fill in, in case of injury or if Strome isn't ready. Worst case, he sits in the press box or Richardson moves over to wing, depending on who is performing.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
On balance with the Hjalmarsson deal (gonna have to work on spelling that) I think we've come out ahead and not lost much of anything significant. DeAngelo could turn into an elite #2 and make us look dumb but as long as we still get better out of it it will be alright. I'm not really sure Raanta is the guy long term either but we needed somebody so he'll do. I've also been concerned about center insulation for too long to complain about this too much.

Get a steal of a pick with 23 or move up a few spots to grab someone and there's a chance we've turned the corner.

I'm alot less worried about Strome's chances for success than I was 16 hrs ago.

Indeed.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
You mean, who will play with Chychrun on the bottom pairing.

If we don't make another move Schenn just got promoted to the top 4 :shakehead

Schenn was playing ahead of Murph already by the end of the season, there's a decent chance he'd have stayed up with OEL anyway.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Nice trade, guys. Stepan is such an underrated player, he'll help inject offense right away and make others better, plus he brings leadership and a winning mentality. You need guys like him and Hjalmarsson to rub off on your young players if you intend to take the next step. And Raanta will be great for you as well.

I think you guys won this trade, though I am very intrigued with the 7th pick and Deangelo. Don't know much about Deangelo, I've read that he has the potential to be a young Dan Boyle type if he puts it all together. Any more intel?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad