PTO: [ARI] F Ryan Dzingel (released), D Austin Strand (released), D Olli Juolevi (released)+ others sign PTOs with the Coyotes

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Oddly enough I saw Peter DiLiberatore play in person in both Savannah and Cleveland (while on WBS) last season. He's a hockey player. Likely not an NHLer.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dzingel is in that funny position of being too offensively skilled to be a bottom six guy and not offensively skilled enough to be a regular top six guy.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
How does Arizona have three preseason games on the same day?

Makes sense why they need extra players.

But why?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Arizona has 5 preseason games in three days on two different continents. They need extra players!

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
It doesn’t preclude players from attending NHL camps (or signing NHL contracts)

Yeah, appearently not. I guess I never payed much attention to AHL level guys on PTO's. Strand just caught my attention because he was recently a Duck and because his last name is of Swedish origin.

But this makes me wonder, can NHL teams sign AHL players also when the season is ongoing? And I don't mean NHL teams signing players from their own AHL affiliate, but rather from AHL teams affiliated with other NHL franchises.

I guess teams are too tight up against the 50 contracts limits to bother doing this regardless. But if one day a new Martin St. Louis ends up with the San Diego Gulls, it would kinda suck if another NHL team "stole" him from Anaheim mid-season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yeah, appearently not. I guess I never payed much attention to AHL level guys on PTO's. Strand just caught my attention because he was recently a Duck and because his last name is of Swedish origin.

But this makes me wonder, can NHL teams sign AHL players also when the season is ongoing? And I don't mean NHL teams signing players from their own AHL affiliate, but rather from AHL teams affiliated with other NHL franchises.

I guess teams are too tight up against the 50 contracts limits to bother doing this regardless. But if one day a new Martin St. Louis ends up with the San Diego Gulls, it would kinda suck if another NHL team "stole" him from Anaheim mid-season.

I believe they can. AHL contracts offer no protection of rights for the NHL.

You usually see it more with AHL teams poaching the ECHL though.

Reactions: Elvs

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
C5F41DEA-E79F-4B8B-AA77-EF6B8761DD11.jpeg

bwhsocal

May 4, 2023
How does Arizona have three preseason games on the same day?

Makes sense why they need extra players.

But why?
the real roster is in Australia playing the kings for couple games, why they two other games in US same time is so odd

Reactions: uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I thought Strand already signed an AHL contract with the Wolves :huh:
It doesn’t preclude players from attending NHL camps (or signing NHL contracts)

I believe they can. AHL contracts offer no protection of rights for the NHL.

You usually see it more with AHL teams poaching the ECHL though.
Yep, exactly!

AHL deals do not restrict the player from signing an NHL deal, even one without an affiliation (who is not NJD's affiliate).

Just earlier today, in fact, Keith Kinkaid signed with NJD - just a couple of months after Kinkaid signed an AHL contract with the Chicago Wolves.

Typically, a player on AHL contract offered a contract outside of the organization will give the parent club the right to match

Reactions: Treb

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Yep, exactly!

AHL deals do not restrict the player from signing an NHL deal, even one without an affiliation.

Just earlier today, in fact, Keith Kinkaid signed with NJD - just a couple of months after Kinkaid signed an AHL contract with the Chicago Wolves.

Typically, a player on AHL contract offered a contract outside of the organization will give the parent club the right to match

Given that they actually like the org they are in. :sarcasm:

Reactions: uncleben

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Record number of PTO's for one team?
It sounds like a lot but it's moreso just looks more impressive to see them all announced at once

Drew, Dzingel, Hebig, Miller, and Vitelli specifically are actually already in the organization, each signed with ARI's AHL affiliate Tucscon for this upcoming season.

If you count those internal invites (if you will), then they are definitely leaning more into the pure outside PTOs more, but overall it's really not too wild.

The Leafs, for example (just because that's the data I have handy), had 12 invites to camp last year with 10 being "internal invites" and 2 being outside PTOs. At our 2019 Camp, we had 23 invites, with 19 of those being internal and 4 outside PTOs. That was a pretty wild camp, but we also had some split squad games like Arizona does this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad