Claimed off Waivers: [ARI] Coyotes claim D Juuso Valimaki off waivers from the Flames

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
All it took was Tourigny telling him he had a fresh start and just giving him TOI. I understand if a team driving hard for the playoffs can't stomach that but he has been great. Can't argue with free.

Reactions: ck26

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
On an unrelated note, I love your avatar. I have a bunch of those old MVP cards. That was like '03-'04 or '05-'06, right?
I dunno I found it on Google LOL. Just decided to change the avatar to a classic Flame after all the drama with Tkachuk and Gaudreau in the off-season. Kipper's off fishing somewhere in the middle of nowhere, so little risk of being a problem

• Haha
Reactions: BringTheReign

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
One year at $1,550,000 is really bad? Worst case scenario you bury him and get like a 400k cap charge.
2M in real money and a 1.55M cap hit for a player that was struggling in the AHL

Good on him to have seemingly turned it around in Arizona (I think at least; I haven't watched him play or anything) but he wasn't working out in Calgary

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
One year at $1,550,000 is really bad? Worst case scenario you bury him and get like a 400k cap charge.
At the time he was cut, how many teams had the cap space and roster spot to r reclaim him?

Arizona, Anaheim, Ottawa, Detroit, buffalo, chicsgo, and maybe one other team. At the time arizona might have been the only one with the space+ need.

given his age and injury history he doesn’t carry the weight of his past reputation.

waiver claims are tied to local need of a team at that moment

im sure other teams probably trade for him only after he cleared waivers. Nobody would give up a 4 th for him only to see him get claimed

KristichBabych

Jun 15, 2018
He's still a fringe NHL'er. It's pretty bad when the Oilers 2nd pair minor league defenseman(Kesselring) was playing on the 'Yotes top four in the NHL
He signed for only 1 million next year… So for a top 2 def in Arizona, it’s a good turnaround and a good deal. But I understand you’re point…

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He and Walman are the breakout top 4 defenders out of nowhere for me this year.

You can say “he needs to keep it up for me to believe” but it’s hard to argue with the actual results. Playing big top pairing minutes and producing these kind of results on Arizona is pretty incredible. He’s not just a body filling an empty role like Chiarot did on Montreal last year when he was playing 24 minutes a night.

This is top drawer stuff.

08-AA35-CB-FE63-4861-84-D4-AD364-E71425-C.jpg

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He and Walman are the breakout top 4 defenders out of nowhere for me this year.

You can say “he needs to keep it up for me to believe” but it’s hard to argue with the actual results. Playing big top pairing minutes and producing these kind of results on Arizona is pretty incredible.

Top drawer stuff.

08-AA35-CB-FE63-4861-84-D4-AD364-E71425-C.jpg
Passes the eye test too. He has been fantastic.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
He always had talent, was trending really well in Calgary for a few years but injuries, log jams/opportunity etc stalled him. Kylie grin took his spot and he kind of disappears in the organization.

Glad he got a chance in Arizona and his career is panning out.

Reactions: wetcoast

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
He's still a fringe NHL'er. It's pretty bad when the Oilers 2nd pair minor league defenseman(Kesselring) was playing on the 'Yotes top four in the NHL
I don't think fringe NHL'ers are capable of playing ~22 minutes a night for almost 30 games now and look decent.

Sure he wouldn't play this much almost anywhere else, but I think he's showing that the ability was there to develop into at least a 2nd pairing defenseman.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
Best part about following a team while they rebuild is stories like this. Rebuilding teams have so many opportunities for players to take on a bigger role. And some players just absolutely break out, and it's awesome.

Glad for Yotes fans, and super glad for Valimaki.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad