Confirmed Buy-Out [ARI] Coyotes buy out F Zach Kassian and D Patrik Nemeth

jarboy

Dec 27, 2007
Was Arizona at the max 50 roster spots, and needed the room for other deals?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
2 Parts to this.

Salary Cap: The coyotes are roughly 11 mil below the floor with 12 people to sign. If they signed each for just 1mil, they are above the floor. This isn't a cap move.

Real Money: Kassians Salary this year was 2.3mil(capfriendly). His buyout costs Kassian, Zack $766,667 $766,667(capfriendly) = 1.5mil(rounded). The coyotes save 800k which is roughly league minimum.

Conclusion: The coyotes would prefer to pay some scrub league minimum rather than run Kassian back out.
Most 800k players are less bad than Kassian.

Reactions: Summer Rose

rt

May 13, 2004
He was the only player who didn't buy in and try much. Nemeth was a good soldier. Good riddance to Kassian.
100%

With that 800k savings, I'd much rather watch Jenik or Smith get games than watch whatever Kassian was doing on the ice last year.
Completely agree

Coyotes spending money for nothing is this bizarro world or are they making room for Carey Price :sarcasm:
I think people forget they buyouts aren’t always about capspace. Sometimes they are about removing a player from your roster without having to pay draft capital be rid of them. Sometimes players get bought out just because they’re bad fits.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Saves them nearly 4M in cash this year and 2M in cash total (about 2M in payouts the year after they wouldnt of had otherwise). They can backfill with league minimum contracts and come out ahead in the cash game long term. Nothing else it spreads the actual cost across multiple years vs 1. Maybe pickup an insured LTIR contract or something like T. Myers after bonus is paid (1M in actual salary isnt much more than league minimum) to help make up cap space.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Pathetic. Just adding more dead cap and less actual money to pay out.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Pathetic. Just adding more dead cap and less actual money to pay out.
so just to confirm. Your point is AZ is pathetic because they bought out Kassian and Nemeth and didn't give up 3x2nd round picks, a 3rd, and moved up 4 spots in the 1st round? AZ are the pathetic ones?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
so just to confirm. Your point is AZ is pathetic because they bought out Kassian and Nemeth and didn't give up 3x2nd round picks, a 3rd, and moved up 4 spots in the 1st round? AZ are the pathetic ones?

Just keep them both and spend no assets to get rid of them, the team is going to be bad anyhow and Nemeth is no worse than any other d they are going to put out there next season anyhow. How exactly do they move up any spots in the draft with buying players out??????????

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
Just keep them both and spend no assets to get rid of them, the team is going to be bad anyhow and Nemeth is no worse than any other d they are going to put out there next season anyhow. How exactly do they move up any spots in the draft with buying players out??????????

I'm not sure the direction you are going with this but I already did the math for Kassian, I can do it for Nemeth as well to show they neither save money nor cap by buying them out. The coyotes stone cold didn't want them and would rather run out anyone, even someone at league minimum pay, rather than play those 2 next year. They aren't saving money or cap in any fashion.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
they save actual $ through the buyouts. $ they can put towards their budget in 2023 to ice a more completive roster (Kassian was a mainstay in the pressbox). Nemeth is expensive and it sounds like they feel they have cheaper options available.

For taking Nemeth and Kassian last year, AZ received in compensation 3x2nd round picks, a 3rd round pick, and they flipped 1st round picks with Edmonton (AZ moved up 4 slots) as compensation.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
they save actual $ through the buyouts. $ they can put towards their budget in 2023 to ice a more completive roster (Kassian was a mainstay in the pressbox). Nemeth is expensive and it sounds like they feel they have cheaper options available.

For taking Nemeth and Kassian last year, AZ received in compensation 3x2nd round picks, a 3rd round pick, and they flipped 1st round picks with Edmonton (AZ moved up 4 slots) as compensation.

That is all they do though is make moves to save money. Every year rinse and repeat.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
That is all they do though is make moves to save money. Every year rinse and repeat.
No, they made moves to take advantage of cap strapped teams to pick up draft picks. They have stopped that apparently. Did you not think Kassian and Nemeth were being paid?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
No, they made moves to take advantage of cap strapped teams to pick up draft picks. They have stopped that apparently. Did you not think Kassian and Nemeth were being paid?

How is this different than the stuff the do every year? They literally have over 20+ million in dead cap for next season.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
How is this different than the stuff the do every year? They literally have over 20+ million in dead cap for next season.
You see before they would make a trade with a team that doesn't have the cap flexibility to do their own buyout and they extort them for several draft picks (usually multiple 2nd rounders). This is what they did last year.

This year they saved money by buying these players out as they aren't part of their future. They use the money they save to sign/pay different players to play for them. They aren't taking on bad contracts to do that.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
You must be thinking of compliance buyouts (limit 2) or buyouts outside the regular period (limit 3 over the term of the 2013 CBA).

There's no limit on the # of ordinary buyouts in the regular period.
Thanks, that's me trying to find something else out by looking at the CBA and trying to interpret legalese and coming across buyouts...

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I have wondered what kind of Rev AZ can generate at the new arena? mullet? They were always more of a team that had a interan budget that was maybe $10Mil off the cap is it now more like $20mil in real $$ not AAV?

Report expected be coming out soon will say they made $2 million more in revenue at Mullet last year than in Glendale the year before. (for context the attendance in Glendale was down by 3000 from pre-Covid seasons)

All the corporate sponsors are back and one upped theirs by $500K. Even with the arena/entertainment getting voted down. STMs renewals are at 80%.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Is this basically just a liquidity move? Shaving off some total salary outlay, while also pushing part of that payout down the road a couple years?

In any case...i'd imagine Nemeth gets a cheap deal somewhere. Kassian might be cooked though. Probably has to head to camp somewhere on a PTO and i doubt he's got enough juice left to actually make the cut and secure another NHL contract.

rt

May 13, 2004
Is this basically just a liquidity move? Shaving off some total salary outlay, while also pushing part of that payout down the road a couple years?
Is that how it works? Or do they have to put the total into an escrow account that gets paid out over time? Either way, I don’t think this is a savings. I think it’s dumping dead weight.
In any case...i'd imagine Nemeth gets a cheap deal somewhere. Kassian might be cooked though. Probably has to head to camp somewhere on a PTO and i doubt he's got enough juice left to actually make the cut and secure another NHL contract.
Kassian is the worst player the Coyotes have had in a long time. And that’s saying something.

Reactions: biturbo19

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Gotta pay the College Arena zamboni driver
ASU takes care of that, it's their arena. I guess you didn't know it. The team is currently looking for somewhere to build there own arena with the owner's, Meruelo, construction company. Now when you troll, perhaps, you won't look so foolishly.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad