Confirmed Signing with Link: [ARI] Connor Murphy (6 years, $3.85M AAV)

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Even if he tops out as a 2nd-pairing guy, this is still a great deal.

Can anyone give me a bit more info about his game? Big size and smooth skater? I first thought of a Marc Staal sort of player, but I think Staal was and is far more defense-oriented while Murphy had a bit more of a PMD reputation.

Looks like not much offense has translated, but if he can turn that size and skating into solid defensive play, he could be a real asset even without the offense.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
6 year long buy-out proof contracts has been the norm this offseason. This one might be different in structure but 6 years is still ridiculously long.

Not all of these young guys are going to perform or live up to their contracts, and the owners won't be happy.

I don't get this line of thinking. Almost all RFAs are signed through 1-2 years after their UFA period eventually.

All these type of contracts do is pay more now to save in Cap Space later. If the Coyotes project Murphy to be a 2nd pairing D then it makes sense for them, as a non-Cap ceiling team, to make that trade off. The total money is the same regardless.

Example 1:
$3.85 million x 6 years = ~$23 million total

Example 2:
$2.5 million x 2 years = $5 million
+ $3 million x 1 years = $3 million
+ $5 million x 3 years = $15 million
Total Money Paid = $23 million

Same money overall paid out for your average 2nd pairing D man, except now in years 4-6 the Coyotes are only on the hook for $3.85 million in Cap instead of $5+ million. That extra million+ per year helps the team during their hopeful Playoff window.

I guarantee Chayka and his team laid out the structure of the two options above and made the decision that Murphy was worth betting on.

Last edited:

rodney dangerfield

Dec 8, 2015
Nice to see Arizona fans appreciate Murphy. The Coyotes blogger on Hockeybuzz absolutely destroy's Murphy and complains how bad he is. He said Luke Schenn is better lol.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
The term was 6 years in the title.

You misunderstand what I posted. I didn't say that I thought the term would be 4-6 years, I said that "in years 4-6" (as in years 4, 5, and 6 of the contract) the Cap hit will likely look very good.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Huh? That's going to be a freaken steal. He's like going to be better than Stone by training camp. Weird.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Nice to see Arizona fans appreciate Murphy. The Coyotes blogger on Hockeybuzz absolutely destroy's Murphy and complains how bad he is. He said Luke Schenn is better lol.

We routinely get a chuckle from his blog posts.

From James at Hockeybuzz
While Murphy has shown flashes of the talent expected from a high pick, he hasn't yet shown to be more than a below average, sixth or seventh dman in the NHL. I would not have been surprised if he was traded somewhere for a fresh start, and, based on his stats and apparent lack of development, I was all but ready to write him off, despite formerly harboring large expectations for him.

I viewed him as a trade chip in the "fresh start" category, and as he was un-signed into almost August, I figured he'd be done as a Coyote.

So why did they seemingly overpay for a bottom-pairing dman and give him a bizarre amount of term?

And on Schenn/Murphy
So it's a no-risk move with the potential to pay off. It has potential because Schenn could still tap into his potential and become a better puck mover. Perhaps he adjusts his game after what he learned in LA or - and this isn't that crazy - they could try him with OEL. Certainly he can't be any worse than Murphy has been.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
People need to stop saying this when they think they see bad contracts signed because they aren't the main reasons for lockouts

Exactly. Besides, I don't mind these buyout proof contracts. It's one of the few ways to lower the cap hit on a player who's concerned about stability. As long as the player can prove he's a good pro and won't go into decline, I'm all for it.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Exactly. Besides, I don't mind these buyout proof contracts. It's one of the few ways to lower the cap hit on a player who's concerned about stability. As long as the player can prove he's a good pro and won't go into decline, I'm all for it.

Pretty much this, and I think Murphy has already shown to be that kind of pro. Coming out of the CHL where he was frequently injured and making the jump to the NHL as quickly as he did, and then continue to improve says a lot. He appears to have the type of character and work ethic that should make this contract one that the rest of the league will envy for years.

That said, I project Murphy as a career #4/#3 who happens to play well with OEL, but even a #3 with that AAV is awesome.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
James Tanner needs to stop writing about the Coyotes. I certainly hope people don't read that crap and believe what he says is an accurate assessment of the team.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Even if he tops out as a 2nd-pairing guy, this is still a great deal.

Can anyone give me a bit more info about his game? Big size and smooth skater? I first thought of a Marc Staal sort of player, but I think Staal was and is far more defense-oriented while Murphy had a bit more of a PMD reputation.

Looks like not much offense has translated, but if he can turn that size and skating into solid defensive play, he could be a real asset even without the offense.

Lanky big size, smooth skater, yeah his offense hasn't fully translated to the NHL but there's still offensive upside in his game. I wouldn't expect a huge offensive leap, but I think it's likely his offensive production improves in the early years of this contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad