Claimed off Waivers: ARI claims Calvin Pickard

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Raanta is nursing a nagging groin injury and Darcy Kuemper is listed as day-to-day. We can risk going up against teams like Nashville and San Jose with our AHL goalie tandem.

Makes sense.
Pickard has not been very good. Hes basically an AHL goalie.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Pickard has not been very good. Hes basically an AHL goalie.

Yeah I know, but he has more NHL experience than both of our guys who have not had impressive outings so far in the bug league.

Seems like the most logical option, especially since we are just a handful of points out of the playoffs right now, surprisingly.

Reactions: Ebbisen

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Question: If Arizona waives him again do both Philly and Toronto qualify for the "only team claiming him can send him to the minors" thing? Obviously that wouldn't work if both claimed him but if both teams did claim him for that purpose the higher priority one gets him but must keep or re-waive him and the lower priority one then becomes the only claiming team(unless Arizona claims him for that reason too and around and around we go)

I don't expect Philly would put in a claim to try to send him down given their AHL situation. But just curious

Reactions: NoName

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Is the waive order based off of points or point %?

Wondering if Ott passed on him or not.

Point %. We did pass.

AZ will waive him again when Kuemper is back and Ottawa will be able to re-evaluate then. For now, though, there are plenty of reasons why he isn't a guy worth claiming for the Sens.

Reactions: Taluss

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Question: If Arizona waives him again do both Philly and Toronto qualify for the "only team claiming him can send him to the minors" thing? Obviously that wouldn't work if both claimed him but if both teams did claim him for that purpose the higher priority one gets him but must keep or re-waive him and the lower priority one then becomes the only claiming team(unless Arizona claims him for that reason too and around and around we go)

I don't expect Philly would put in a claim to try to send him down given their AHL situation. But just curious

I thought that rule was only for the next month, no?

Reactions: Flukeshot

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I thought that rule was only for the next month, no?

It's for all season. The 30 days/10 games thing refers to the time after you re-claim the guy. I just don't know if it goes back inclusive to each team who waives a guy during a season, or only the last one

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Cool. .863 in Philadelphia is about .908 anywhere else. Smart move by Arizona.

Reactions: MaWa

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
What's the most any goalie has been claimed in one session because once Arizona is done with him I hope Toronto claims him

I hope they don’t. Mac sure but Pickard has been garbage and we can’t keep him past this year plus the leafs already chose Sparks over Pickard so not like he’d be a backup. After a slow start Sparks has put together two nice wins for us on second headers

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Then why is Elliott at .911?

Obviously not entirely serious. But I do believe Pickard ended up looking worse than he is. Combination of 3/4th choice and a team clearly having some issues both on and off the ice became a bad mix for CP.

Afresh start with a recent good game against NYR might just show that. Certainly worth a try for Arizona in my opinion.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
I hope they don’t. Mac sure but Pickard has been garbage and we can’t keep him past this year plus the leafs already chose Sparks over Pickard so not like he’d be a backup. After a slow start Sparks has put together two nice wins for us on second headers

lol, I'm also a huge Marlie fan and I really want Pickard on the Marlies

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
What are those reasons?

I suspect that the Sens don't see Pickard as an NHL goalie any more than they see McKenna as an NHL goalie. I don't think the Sens want three goalies in the organization who we don't feel have a future with us beyond this season (Condon, McKenna, Pickard). I especially don't think the Sens want to spend 3.5mil on goalies who are in the minors.

Many of the reasons come back to financials, but also I think they want to give the young guys the opportunity to take over the crease in the AHL, at least to some extent. If they saw Pickard as an NHL goalie, there would be essentially no financial cost (about 100k added to payroll, including the waiver fee) and a much smaller risk of overcrowding the crease.

That said... when I wrote the post you quoted, I was unaware of the fact that the Leafs are able to claim Pickard and send him straight through to the AHL. That negates many of my 'concerns' because I do believe the Leafs would claim him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad