Claimed off Waivers: ARI claims Calvin Pickard

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I suspect that the Sens don't see Pickard as an NHL goalie any more than they see McKenna as an NHL goalie. I don't think the Sens want three goalies in the organization who we don't feel have a future with us beyond this season (Condon, McKenna, Pickard). I especially don't think the Sens want to spend 3.5mil on goalies who are in the minors.

Many of the reasons come back to financials, but also I think they want to give the young guys the opportunity to take over the crease in the AHL, at least to some extent. If they saw Pickard as an NHL goalie, there would be essentially no financial cost (about 100k added to payroll, including the waiver fee) and a much smaller risk of overcrowding the crease.

That said... when I wrote the post you quoted, I was unaware of the fact that the Leafs are able to claim Pickard and send him straight through to the AHL. That negates many of my 'concerns' because I do believe the Leafs would claim him.

I guess its a matter of evaluation because if its me, I take Pickard over Mckenna 10/10 and I think the difference between the 2 goalies is worth the waiver claim.

Obviously the Sens dont feel the same way, but man Anderson needs a bit of a break and I think Pickard could at least look a little respectable out there.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I guess its a matter of evaluation because if its me, I take Pickard over Mckenna 10/10 and I think the difference between the 2 goalies is worth the waiver claim.

Obviously the Sens dont feel the same way, but man Anderson needs a bit of a break and I think Pickard could at least look a little respectable out there.

I agree with you entirely, I am just looking at it from what I believe Dorion's perspective would be. Playing "Melnyks Advocate", so to speak.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Is the waive order based off of points or point %?

Wondering if Ott passed on him or not.
Points%

CBA 13.19:
"[Player] shall: (i) be transferred to the claiming Club having earned the lowest percentage of possible points in the League standing at the time of the request for Waivers"

EDIT: I see someone else answered already though!

Reactions: Taluss

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Obviously not entirely serious. But I do believe Pickard ended up looking worse than he is. Combination of 3/4th choice and a team clearly having some issues both on and off the ice became a bad mix for CP.

Afresh start with a recent good game against NYR might just show that. Certainly worth a try for Arizona in my opinion.

I agree he's worth a shot for Arizona.

I have thought since the expansion draft he might do well in Philly, so his games here were super disappointing.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Question: If Arizona waives him again do both Philly and Toronto qualify for the "only team claiming him can send him to the minors" thing? Obviously that wouldn't work if both claimed him but if both teams did claim him for that purpose the higher priority one gets him but must keep or re-waive him and the lower priority one then becomes the only claiming team(unless Arizona claims him for that reason too and around and around we go)

I don't expect Philly would put in a claim to try to send him down given their AHL situation. But just curious

Only the original team gets this right. So if Arizona waives him later this year and Toronto is the only team to make a claim then Torobto could assign him to AHL without waivers. If Arizona waives him and Philly is only team making a claim then he'd have to clear waivers again once back on Philly to go to AHL.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Good depth pickup for them. Pickard has potential, lets see if a change of scenery helps.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Only the original team gets this right. So if Arizona waives him later this year and Toronto is the only team to make a claim then Torobto could assign him to AHL without waivers. If Arizona waives him and Philly is only team making a claim then he'd have to clear waivers again once back on Philly to go to AHL.

Are you sure the new team doesn't have that same right? The Leafs did with Seth Griffith 2 seasons ago. They claimed him from Boston to start the year, then waived him again and Florida claimed him, then a couple months later when Florida waived him again the Leafs claimed him and sent him to the AHL.

Maple Leafs claim Griffith off waivers, two months after waiving him - Sportsnet.ca

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Are you sure the new team doesn't have that same right? The Leafs did with Seth Griffith 2 seasons ago. They claimed him from Boston to start the year, then waived him again and Florida claimed him, then a couple months later when Florida waived him again the Leafs claimed him and sent him to the AHL.

Maple Leafs claim Griffith off waivers, two months after waiving him - Sportsnet.ca

That's interesting. I had been under the impression that the 10 game or 30 day rule meant that the waivers process entirely reset and therefore the original team, in this case the Leafs, would have no rights to the player at all.

Thanks for sharing an example

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That's interesting. I had been under the impression that the 10 game or 30 day rule meant that the waivers process entirely reset and therefore the original team, in this case the Leafs, would have no rights to the player at all.

Thanks for sharing an example

As previously mentioned the rule isn't written in a great way, it mentions 2 timeframes, the first being in the same season. That refers to the length of time that the original claiming team maintains the right to send down a player if they're the only claiming team when the player is rewaived, they keep that right as long as the player is re-waived anytime in the same season. The 2nd timeframe they mention is 30 days or 10 games, this refers to how long they can freely move the player up and down to and from the AHL after they're the only team to put in a claim.

So in theory if the Coyotes were to waive Pickard say on February 5th, the Leafs still have the only team putting in a claim right. If they're successful as the only claiming team they can send him down and call him up freely until March 7th, or until he plays 10 games in the NHL whichever comes first.

I was curious if both teams get that right now that the Flyers waived him too as the Leafs claimed Griffith off Boston 2 years ago and then used that right to get him to the AHL after waiving and then re-claiming. I would assume Boston also held that right at the time as well.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
What's the most any goalie has been claimed in one session because once Arizona is done with him I hope Toronto claims him
I recall Craig Anderson going through 3 teams in a month in the '05-06 season

January 18, 2016 - Chicago waives Anderson
January 19, 2016 - Boston claims Anderson off waivers
January 30, 2016 - Boston waives Anderson
January 31, 2016 - St. Louis claims Anderson off waivers
February 2, 2016 - St. Louis waives Anderson
February 3, 2016 - Chicago claims Anderson off waivers

Then, to go with that:
May 25, 2016 - Anderson signs with Lada Togliatti [KHL]
June 24, 2016 - Chicago trades Anderson to Florida

So, Anderson was with 4 franchises + a Russian team in the span of just over 5 months. And, when Chicago re-claimed Anderson they didn't assign him to the AHL; he stayed on the NHL roster the rest of the year.

Perhaps more oddly, Tom Draper was flipped from Winnipeg to St. Louis back in 1991 for future considerations; that ended up being Jim Vesey, and the same day Vesey went from the Blues to the Jets Draper went back from St. Louis to Winnipeg for future considerations - and then Winnipeg ended up trading Draper to Buffalo a month later at the draft for a 7th-round pick in the '92 draft.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
pickard is getting tossed around like a dirty shirt, IMO he had some potential when he filled in for Varly in colorado, perhaps he will get it together in the desert

chatted with him in the Vancouver airport once when he was getting recalled , nice guy seemed very intelligent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad