Confirmed Trade: [ARI/CHI] Hossa, Hinostroza, Oesterle, 2019 3rd for Kruger, Entwistle, Maletta, Campbell, 2019 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
They got the 16th overall pick which turned into Jakob Chychrun. I'd say that was just fine.

What else is involved?
Upgrading Whoever The Red Wings got to Jakub Chychrun was awesome. Coyotes fans love that trade.

Wouldn't call Chychrun barely anything

they got a 1st round pick for eating the Datsyuk contract. thats not barely nothing at all

Barely got anything? They desperately wanted Chychrun and got him. Detroit had them over a barrel because they knew it. Detroit easily forced the contract into the deal because Arizona wasn't going to say no.

They didnt get the 16th pick for taking on Datsyuks contract. Arizona traded the 20th overall pick, 53rd overall pick and Vitale for Dats contract and the 16th pick. Trade a 2nd rounder to move 4 spots up in the middle of the first round and take on a bad contract isnt much of a return.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They didnt get the 16th pick for taking on Datsyuks contract. Arizona traded the 20th overall pick, 53rd overall pick and Vitale for Dats contract and the 16th pick. Trade a 2nd rounder to move 4 spots up in the middle of the first round and take on a bad contract isnt much of a return.

It wasn't a bad contract for Arizona. It was a good one because it saved them millions of dollars.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
it is legitimately insane that the NHL is allowing them to trade this contract. INSANE.

The NHL isn't going to make a rule for one team in a one-off scenario when they already put restrictions in place so that they same situation can't occur again. Chicago would rightfully lose their mind that no other team had been penalized in the same way (Detroit w/ Datsyuk, etc.).

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

In hindsight although that return doesn't look great it's worked out very well for them with Chychrun probably coming out as the steal of the first round and I'd imagine they'd make the deal again 100% of the time

Reactions: 99664987 and hbk

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
I hope the nhl deals with this trading dead contracts thing in the next CBA. Cause its f***ing nauseating.

But, given the rules today, smart for the hawks. Smart for zona is they get a good solid young player and a pick.

Reactions: Morrison

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It was just a swap of 16 to 20 but Chalky got his guy Chychrun

Seriously, people are saying they got a 1st round pick and neglecting that they also gave up a 1st round pick. They moved up 4 spots to take that contract which is pretty terrible value but it’s acceptable because Chychrun is such a monster and everybody knew at the time he shouldn’t have fallen

Reactions: JT Kreider

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Excuse my ignorance - what is the point for CHI to trade the contract, is he hurting them that bad? My understanding is he's put on LTIR so he doesn't count against the cap, but I'm guessing there is more to it than that.

Reactions: Eb

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I agree and specially when its so obvious that its all BS from Hawks and Hossa. Suddenly develops a rash against the equipment he has used his entire career the year his salary drops to 1million for the remaining 4 years...

It wasn't sudden. He had been dealing with the condition for years, but it got worse over time. Like it did for Tom Reid.

The Gunk: a Virulent Oozing Rash

“It was a gradual thing,” he says. “It started about the size of a dime on my arm. Then it got bigger. It went down my side and it just started to spread. As soon as I was off the ice, in two weeks it was gone. If I came back to the ice, play a few games, it would come right back again.”

“We changed equipment. They covered me in creams, they covered the equipment. I changed underwear, t-shirt, after the warm-up, at the end of every period — it just got worse.”

He was getting pills, injections of steroids. He spent 11 days in hospital to start off the 1975-76 season. At one point, he said at the time, he was getting 30 shots a day to help in the relief effort.

“It was pretty painful. It was at the point where my whole side was just pus. They couldn’t figure out what it was. I’d be wrapping towels around my body, which helped — the problem was when I had to take the towels off. I couldn’t sleep — for a while I was sleeping sitting upright in a wooden chair. It got to the point by the end where they couldn’t give me any more cortisone. I had to retire.”

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Hinostroza is a good pick up though. Probably a Domi replacement, but I ultimately think he rounds out ARZ's middle 6.

I'm more interested to see Chicago's next move.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

It really doesn't matter if they traded to move up one spot. They wanted one player who might be gone at that very pick. They paid the price to get their guy.

Consider an extreme example. If Auston Matthews had fallen to #16 then the concept of "Value to move up ___ spots" flies out the window. No rational person is going to say "I can't believe you traded all that to move up only 1 spot to take Matthews, teams never pay that much to move up in the Draft!". Because value is player-based and not Draft position-based.

Reactions: 37Bergenov14

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
I agree and specially when its so obvious that its all BS from Hawks and Hossa. Suddenly develops a rash against the equipment he has used his entire career the year his salary drops to 1million for the remaining 4 years...
They really need to amend this in the CBA

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Excuse my ignorance - what is the point for CHI to trade the contract, is he hurting them that bad? My understanding is he's put on LTIR so he doesn't count against the cap, but I'm guessing there is more to it than that.
LTIR is a lot more complicated than it seems at first glance. The Hawks can only really use all of that space if they can fit Hossa under the cap on day 1 of the season (which they did last year) so they would have to accommodate over $5M of space for him every offseason. There is also an offseason version of LTIR, but it buys you far less space and is barely worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad