Are you still happy we took Barkov

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Barkov really reminds me of Kopitar. Watching him in the playoffs, the similarities are so strong. Same pace of play, great two way play, outstanding composure with the puck, etc. I now think Kopitar is a top 3 center in the NHL. If Kopitar is what some project Barkov to potentially become then we are sitting pretty.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
It's kinda funny to read all the love for our prospects, but still see some out there kinda down on Tallon. Guy's been killing it with the prospects like really no one prior to him and was only held back by previous ownership. I frigging love the guy!

It's the poor contracts he's signed undeserving players too that have me not in love with him. Still the best GM we've had in 10+ years though.

mbitonti

Sep 30, 2013
It's the poor contracts he's signed undeserving players too that have me not in love with him. Still the best GM we've had in 10+ years though.

Are you referring to Jovo, Upshall, Flash, etc? While I agree these guys did not at all deserve the financial contracts they got, Tallon was cramped by cheap owners and a franchise that very few legitimate players wanted to sign with at the time. I think any good GM would have done more or less the same signings, and I'd like to hear what some legitimate other options would have been. At least he was smart enough to have most of these contracts expire within the next season or two. They were a band-aid while our youth developed (a poor-man's bandaid, but a bandaid nonetheless)

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Are you referring to Jovo, Upshall, Flash, etc? While I agree these guys did not at all deserve the financial contracts they got, Tallon was cramped by cheap owners and a franchise that very few legitimate players wanted to sign with at the time. I think any good GM would have done more or less the same signings, and I'd like to hear what some legitimate other options would have been. At least he was smart enough to have most of these contracts expire within the next season or two. They were a band-aid while our youth developed (a poor-man's bandaid, but a bandaid nonetheless)

It was the term I had issues with, not the overpayment. Jovo would have had a better offer than say 2 years 8 million? Flash had other contract offers longer than a year with his injury history? I doubt it. We'll see what he does this off season, he's on his 3rd coach, time is running out for Tallon if they don't show considerable improvement soon.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver

A smart poor mans band-aid. Upshall, Jovo and Flash are all the sort of pro role-models our young guns needed to learn from.

In Vancouver the Sedins, Kesler, Burrows and other core Canucks single out Trevor Linden and even Sundins brief stay as being tantamount to their development as professional athletes and successful, consistent NHL'ers.

In Jovo's case I'm not even sure they want or expect him to be a legitimate 3rd pairing player. But if they can keep him in the lineup without it hurting too much on the ice can you imagine the sort of signal it sends to Kuli/Guds Petro/Robak M/M Weegar/Brown Olsen/Raccine (dare I say Ekblad)? Not to mention the huge impact of the coaching that I'm sure Jovo gives to anyone who will listen. And then the PR is a whole other deal.

Upshall and Flash* (or even Gomez, in some ways) are the sort of guys I want a Howden/Shore/Pirri/Trochek/Grimaldi learning from. Even a Hubby/Juggs/Barkov can and will learn things from those guys.

It's stupid little stuff, how to eat, how to do your taxes. It can make a big differerence.

* I realize Upshall/Flash is not = to Linden/Sundin but we were on a budget.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
It was the term I had issues with, not the overpayment. Jovo would have had a better offer than say 2 years 8 million? Flash had other contract offers longer than a year with his injury history? I doubt it. We'll see what he does this off season, he's on his 3rd coach, time is running out for Tallon if they don't show considerable improvement soon.

term is one of the most important things for the players, its not just the money

we maybe got them for a year too much, but we would never get the same amount of players at the talent level for a decent price if we signed them for 1 year only

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach

You are also forgetting that he was trying to get to the cap FLOOR that year. All those contracts (Flash, Jovo, Upshall, Goc, Theodore, Versteeg and Bergenheim). Yes, not the best contracts, but under the circumstances you can't fault him 100%.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
If he can stay healthy next year and beyond..

sdvM993.jpg

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad