Are you interested in the EHT-tournaments?

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
Most sports yes, but there's still more than you think. Snowmobile racing for instance does not have the best drivers available for the World Championship as they are busy driving in the ISOC Series. Your FIFA comparison is a moot point. No one here is arguing that the World Championship wouldn't be better with all the best players available. We were discussing why the World Championship, even without many of the best players, can still be entertaining for those who like international competition and doesn't get many chances to see it.

You make it sound like ALL the best players in the world are missing from the tournament which is straight up false. For instance Sweden has had great teams in the last couple of tournaments. Right on par with the best NHL teams or even better. Why should the people of Sweden, who otherwise don't get a chance to see these guys play, be discouraged from watching them play and rooting for them to win gold? Sorry, you come across as a pretty selfish hockey fan who wants to dictate what others should like and not like. Same thing when you don't want Switzerland and Slovakia in the World Cup, as you don't care about their hockey fans, but still want to borrow their best players for team Europe just for your own amusement.

Is it though? There's only a select few players in the NHL that stands out every game. In a short tournament it's not always so apparent who the best players are. Just take a look at the NHL currently. Jason Pominville has 14 points in 15 games. Max Pacioretty has 2 points in 11 games. You and me know who the better player is because we follow the NHL on a daily basis. The average hockey viewer in Europe doesn't. I mean, before the 2016 World Cup, did you think Jaroslav Halak would be the best goalie (and arguably player) in the tournament? My point is the difference between players isn't that apparent over a small sample size, let alone one game. It becomes apparent over time, as in the NHL with an 82 game schedule

So you wish less people would be fans of the SHL? How do you think that affects hockey in Sweden and the development of players long term? Classic example of not seeing the forest because of all the trees. Your question about the Czech league vs the KHL is irrelevant. I'm Swedish. The KHL is better than the SHL but I'll watch the SHL over it. Many people feel the same about the SHL vs the NHL. I'm a huge NHL fan so I'm not one of them, but I can't blame people who wants to watch and root for a team that's in their city or close to the city they live in. Even though the SHL has players inferior to the NHL, I understand why people want to watch it.

Do you also wish the AHL audience was empty? I mean, why would ANYONE watch Cleveland play in the AHL when they can watch Columbus, who isn't far away, play in the NHL? Could it be because fans in Cleveland like to go to hockey games and support the team that's representing their city? Hmm...
My comparison with the World Cup in football is really relevant and that is the big issue with the World Championship. I said it might be entertaining and never meant that ALL the best players are missing. But the outcome is usually a lottery depending on getting the right players to your team. All the victories Sweden has taken since 1987 is a result of getting some good players from NHL to your team. That is why it was dominated by Soviet before it became Russia.

I don't blame anyone for watching but it is not a big thing to win it. Still the hype in Sweden is comparable to a World Cup. It is not selfish to point out an incorrect way of thinking and that is mostly useful for people to develop. And no I don't want Switzerland and Slovakia at a World Cup since a round-robin format is way better. If other countries develops, my point of view is likely to change. Having a Team Europe raises the level for everyone and maybe even the interest of hockey in new places. Tournaments are always likely to be decided by randomness but without the top players it will always be what it is.

I never said that I wish less fans of the SHL. Just questioning why a neutral person with interest in the sport prefers a weaker product. In that case NHL should be a bigger thing than what it is. But of course it is great that there's local clubs and many fans keeping it alive. I don't blame them, rather the opposite. Just pointing out that there is even more candy if you dig even deeper into the forest.

Last edited:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
My comparison with the World Cup in football is really relevant and that is the big issue with the World Championship.

It's really not. In international football teams aren't divided into groups based on their level like hockey. The qualification system is regional. In hockey it's based on level of each country's hockey. It's up to the countries to keep improving so they can get promoted in divisions all the way to the highest tier of top-16. And it's because of the annual World Championships and the revenue IIHF makes from it (host federation always takes the biggest share of profit, not the IIHF) that those those countries can test the development of their hockey program each year instead of every 4 years, which just wouldn't work in a globally small sport that hockey is. The 4-year cycle works in football because it's the biggest sport on the planet, it doesn't need grass roots development anymore.

Jahara

Sep 25, 2018
It's really not. In international football teams aren't divided into groups based on their level like hockey. The qualification system is regional. In hockey it's based on level of each country's hockey. It's up to the countries to keep improving so they can get promoted in divisions all the way to the highest tier of top-16. And it's because of the annual World Championships and the revenue IIHF makes from it (host federation always takes the biggest share of profit, not the IIHF) that those those countries can test the development of their hockey program each year instead of every 4 years, which just wouldn't work in a globally small sport that hockey is. The 4-year cycle works in football because it's the biggest sport on the planet, it doesn't need grass roots development anymore.
That wasn't was my comparison was about. Fifa World Cup is a relevant tournament since all the best players are participating on full scale, not busy playing a playoff with their club side. World Championship is like the Olympics in football, just a weird mix and because of that not relevant. But it might be fun if you like the sport, of course.

Never said I wanted the World Championship every fourth year. Every odd year would be better with the World Cup and the Olympics at regular basis each even year. But I suppose the World Championship must run every year. But the strenght of that tournament has usually been quite weak in the years when NHL:ers played the Olympics. That kind of things makes you question the point of it, in sporting terms.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That wasn't was my comparison was about. Fifa World Cup is a relevant tournament since all the best players are participating on full scale, not busy playing a playoff with their club side. World Championship is like the Olympics in football, just a weird mix and because of that not relevant. But it might be fun if you like the sport, of course.

Never said I wanted the World Championship every fourth year. Every odd year would be better with the World Cup and the Olympics at regular basis each even year. But I suppose the World Championship must run every year. But the strenght of that tournament has usually been quite weak in the years when NHL:ers played the Olympics. That kind of things makes you question the point of it, in sporting terms.

The outgoing IIHF vice secretary and former head of the Finnish hockey federation Kalervo Kummola has said in the past that two years is too long for some teams to languish in the second tier division (meaning if Germany were get relegated and wait two years there, that would be a disaster not only for the sport's status in Germany but IIHF sponsorships). But he has said several times, even recently (well year or two) that having the tournament in Olympic years is not really needed and they should get back to the system that was still in place in 1988 (Olympics also served as the World Championships). But it's not decision he nor Fasel can make alone, it would need the approval of the IIHF members.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00