Proposal: Are you in favour of trading Brock Boeser?

Would you be in favour of trading Brock Boeser?

• Yes

Votes: 153 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 38 16.8%

• Total voters

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No way Boeser gets 7.5M from any team. I'm curious to see how this plays out.

As we were discussing above, I could see it from teams like Ottawa and Buffalo that are desperate to turn their franchises around, can't attract UFAs, and have some cap space to work with.

But the way Boeser is playing, even that might be a reach. Holy f*** he's been terrible this year. Looks like a lost slug out there.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
No way Boeser gets 7.5M from any team. I'm curious to see how this plays out.
Wonder if he'd be open to a multi-year deal (say two or three years) at LOWER than his QO (which is allowed I think)? The way the team is playing (not perpetual losing under Benning/Green/Desjardins), I wonder if this is a realistic possibility?

I know many here want to dump him but we'd be selling LOW at this point.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Wonder if he'd be open to a multi-year deal (say two or three years) at LOWER than his QO (which is allowed I think)? The way the team is playing (not perpetual losing under Benning/Green/Desjardins), I wonder if this is a realistic possibility?

No chance he takes a shitty contract offer like that. He is setup to either get qualified at a high # or if they actually walked away be an UFA at 25 which will have teams lining up. Most teams sign 6-7 year deals with UFAs knowing the last 2-3 years will be bad value. They can basically be signing Boeser through his entire prime without the backend hit.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

His agent will never advise him to do that (and cut his own commission in the process).

But even if we could sign Boeser at $6 million ... to me he's still obvious trade bait at this point. He's bad value on his current contract FFS.

Reactions: B-rock

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
As we were discussing above, I could see it from teams like Ottawa and Buffalo that are desperate to turn their franchises around, can't attract UFAs, and have some cap space to work with.

But the way Boeser is playing, even that might be a reach. Holy f*** he's been terrible this year. Looks like a lost slug out there.

Buffalo has 3 1st round picks (9 picks total) and Ottawa has 2 2nds and 3 3rds so I could see both willing to give up some draft capital in order to see if Boeser can break out with them.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
His agent will never advise him to do that (and cut his own commission in the process).

But even if we could sign Boeser at $6 million ... to me he's still obvious trade bait at this point. He's bad value on his current contract FFS.
Yeah I realize is a longshot but it has happened before I think.

Buffalo has 3 1st round picks (9 picks total) and Ottawa has 2 2nds and 3 3rds so I could see both willing to give up some draft capital in order to see if Boeser can break out with them.
Melynk inherit a ton of money from a rich uncle lately?:sarcasm:

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
He's having a tough season, and certainly not up to his usual standards...He turns 25 in a month,,Still a fairly young player, and a prime asset.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Injuries and security are factors. Plus the agent will have to gage what the market will bear. Seen Non qualified guys get lower than their arbitration expected numbers.

I don’t think it would be that short a deal.

he turns 25 this year but based on performances to date he’s not going to secure the max term deal on his next contract.

But all comes down to what he wants.

I don’t see them taking Brock to arbitration to drop him down 15% from the $7.5 mill to $6.5 mill roughly which is the max drop.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
He's having a tough season, and certainly not up to his usual standards...He turns 25 in a month,,Still a fairly young player, and a prime asset.

I just see another Bobby Ryan. A complementary piece that is not an offensive driver nor a particularly strong skater. Anaheim realized what they had in him and traded his ass at age 25.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

It's possible but Boeser will have to start producing at some point. If the current trend keeps going - yikes.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

Counterpoint: he's 25 and almost out of team control. Its just really tough, given where the franchise is, how our cap situation is set up over the next couple of years, to make really expensive bets on bounce backs.

Reactions: mathonwy

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Players scoring at a 40-point pace ahead of requiring a $7.5 million QO are no longer 'prime assets'.
Like I said, he's having a tough season..He does have a track record that demonstrates that he can legit score.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Counterpoint: he's 25 and almost out of team control. Its just really tough, given where the franchise is, how our cap situation is set up over the next couple of years, to make really expensive bets on bounce backs.
True,..he could be the sacrificial lamb, to let the air out of the tires, alleviating the cap situation.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
My bat-sh%t crazy idea would be to qualify him for 1 year this offseason.......... then eat half his salary in a trade right away

not even sure if that is legal.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
A team with an elite center might taking a flyer on Boeser. I think I'd take a lowly package over signing him to big money/term. He's too inconsistent with his production, and when he's not producing he's a liability. If a team can carry him 5 on 5 he could be worth his contract. Unfortunately the Canucks need players that can drive the play and apply pressure before they can afford a luxury like a floaty goal scorer.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
The bright spot is he's led the team in scoring a couple of years, and manages to put up on average 25 goals a season. I agree he looks like a boat anchor out there and needs a change of scenery, but I think we could get something decent back for him.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Can you explain how you came to that conclusion? Their production is not even remotely close.

Like I mean, 0.79 points/game vs 0.51 and you are not sure if he is inferior?

Player Comparison: Brock Boeser vs. Kasperi Kapanen | Stathead.com

I don't care what they did years ago.

Boeser is at 0.74 the last two years while Kapanen is at 0.67. They are pretty similar players offensively 5 on 5, though Kapanen probably comes out ahead. Boeser has racked up his points as the 5th most important guy on the PP1 while Kapanen would be an upgrade to the PK here and will also likely cost less on his upcoming contract.

Even if you don't like Kapanen, that's fine. There are lots of options - replacing Boeser won't be difficult.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I don't know why whenever I think it Kapanen I think he's older then he is, like he's been around the league forever.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Boeser is at 0.74 the last two years while Kapanen is at 0.67. They are pretty similar players offensively 5 on 5, though Kapanen probably comes out ahead. Boeser has racked up his points as the 5th most important guy on the PP1 while Kapanen would be an upgrade to the PK here and will also likely cost less on his upcoming contract.

Even if you don't like Kapanen, that's fine. There are lots of options - replacing Boeser won't be difficult.

Kapanen is a vastly superior ES player to Boeser.

Boeser has PP utility that Kapanen does not and scores 15+ points/season there that Kapanen does not.
Kapanen has PK utility that Boeser does not.

Kapanen likely signs for ~$2 million less than Boeser's QO.

Kapanen is a far better asset than Boeser. It isn't really even close.

Reactions: m9

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
insofar as there's absolutely no way boeser is going to agree to a 4-5 year deal for below $6 million,

i think lowest possible value is you trade him as a pure rental to a contender. if you eat salary, which why not, you should be able to get a late first and an A-/B+ prospect. given that that is also boeser's most likely value, i think you take that as your baseline for a deal.

the highest possible value, which imo is also the most unlikely, is a bad team wants to invest in boeser and is either willing to qualify him and then negotiate an extension or blow him away with an extension offer that he'll take before playing QO chicken to try to hit that number or UFA status early. the problem is that's a trade you do at the draft, not the deadline. the bad team that wants boeser probably doesn't need to pay the premium to have him for this year's playoff run.

so i think the extra value with the boeser asset is the team he's going to having first right of refusal to his RFA contract. that also means holding his rights at the draft. i think best case scenario is tacking on something commensurate to that value onto a deadline trade to a contender, which they can later recoup at the draft if they trade him to seattle or something.

i wouldn't have expected benning to be able to see these variables, let alone act on them in a timely manner, but i'm guessing rutherford/allvin should.

Ita

Mar 11, 2019

This sounds like cherry-picking, especially you are factoring in half a season as part of your "2 seasons" calculation and Boeser is significantly underperforming this year. Even accounting for that he still has a higher production.

We can agree to disagree whether if Kapanen is a better player since I doubt we are able to convince each other. I just think that if we are going to trade Boeser, either we do it for a need, or at least don't try to trade him at his lowest possible value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad