Speculation: Are you happy with our TML Franchise ?

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I'm 43 and my memories of the Cup runs when I was 13-14 (Burns) and again throughout my university years (Quinn) sustain me. I remember how incredible it feels when they clinch a series and the buzz in the air when the whole city hums with excitement in anticipation of each game.

That enthusiasm has unfortunately been replaced by the malaise of the drought years and the utter frustration of not being able to get this first-round monkey off our backs.

But I remember. And I cling to the hope that one day we'll go on a run and win the whole damn thing and how glorious would that be? It would be worth all the shit.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I'm 43 and my memories of the Cup runs when I was 13-14 (Burns) and again throughout my university years (Quinn) sustain me. I remember how incredible it feels when they clinch a series and the buzz in the air when the whole city hums with excitement in anticipation of each game.

That enthusiasm has unfortunately been replaced by the malaise of the drought years and the utter frustration of not being able to get this first-round monkey off our backs.

But I remember. And I cling to the hope that one day we'll go on a run and win the whole damn thing and how glorious would that be? It would be worth all the shit.
Go Leafs Go!!!!

Reactions: Al14

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Don’t know about that, how many rounds in an illustrious 11 year career did tough guy Gary Nylund win? Save ya some time the answer is 1. , Would you say he was a playoff choker? Ofcourse not. In my opinion no different than calling the current guys chokers. Playoffs are a crapshoot, yes I guess im one of those delusional fans that think our misfortune is due to bad luck.

Well if in 1968 someone had told me Toronto would have 2 World Series championships and an NBA championship before we won a Stanley Cup again who would blame me for lmao. I mean we had just won 4 of the last 5, as a kid I thought we always won and winning that last one seemed like no big deal at all.

Anyway I think our team is better than most and it is very difficult to come out as number 1 in a 32 team league. Maybe lady puck luck bounces our way in this year’s post season. If it does, hfboards will have countless posts saying it was pure luck. To which I would reply, it is every year.

GLG the best hockey franchise in the world
Agree except crap shoot idea.
62,63,64,67 not crap shoot
Habs 5 in a row,
Celtics, 11 in 13 not crap shoot
UCLA, with Wooden, not crap shoot.
Man U with Fergy
KC Chiefs, not crap shoot
Good coaches, GM and owners make a difference.
The fans in Manchester, know owners are the issue.
Raptors won due to great GM decision
What happened to Toronto FC after managerial changes,
Leafs lose because of coaching, GM not understanding how to built a team, only dealing with patches, owners who love money.
IMHO.
I have been watching before Bathgate, Red Kelly trade, Horton, Stanley, Baun Brewer.
Bower and Sawchuk, like many on this board,
I have seen more idiots behind bench and in box than on the ice.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I wish I could be more like you. I mostly have been, but as the 1st round exits pile up, I find myself getting a tad cynical. That MTL loss was just brutal, I need something very positive to rebuild my attitude after that, and I'm still waiting. And I mean the team having some playoff success, not Matthews winning the Hart, or the Rocket (though those are fine accomplishments) and certainly not some meaningless consecutive games point streak.

Win!
What I realized is that the only thing that controls my attitude is myself. By handing control of how I feel over to the Leafs, I am only setting myself up to be disappointed; these are the Leafs after all. The MTL loss was so unbelievably brutal that I woke up the next day realizing that there were no guarantees that they would ever achieve anything and that it was time to learn how to be a fan my way. It was time to figure out the difference between caring, because I care very deeply, and attaching meaning to those feelings of caring. My way now means I don't bother catching all 82 games and I don't get hung up on the wins or losses, even in the playoffs, because I've embraced that the results are meaningless. I can care as passionately as I want, but it doesn't matter whether they win or lose because the universe doesn't owe me anything. No matter how much emotion I pour into this team they might never win and that's just the way she goes. I can't change the team, so I can only change how I approach the team.

Someone smart once told me that the only difference between a comedy and a tragedy is that in a tragedy everyone dies at the end, and I'll be damned if the Leafs losing to a zamboni driver isn't one of the funniest thing that's ever happened in hockey. Comedies usually have happy endings, but I'm the one who gets to decide whether I'm happy or not and I'm not about to let one of my favourite hobbies be a tragedy. I still love throwing in some spicy hot takes and doing my share of bitching on HFboards, but I'm laughing all the way. The Leafs are a joke, so I might as well be in on it.

Last year I ended up in Toronto during the first round for a wedding or something like that. I remember sitting in traffic on the DVP and realizing that my wife had booked us for dinner at some fancy vegan restaurant right in the middle of Game 3. I thought about it for half a second and realized that while I cared deeply about the score, I didn't actually care that much to engage in the ritual of getting all stressed out while watching the game or to be distracted from a nice evening with my partner. So I went to dinner, had a great time (the food was TERRIBLE), and checked the score on my phone a few times when my wife went to the bathroom. Our hotel was right by the Loose Moose and I remember getting out of the Uber after dinner and seeing all these Leafs fans in the street getting rowdy and screaming GO LEAFS GO. One of them made eye contact with me and yelled something about Vasilevsky sucking and suddenly I was right in there with all of them, high fiving everyone and whooping and screaming about how we were going to win this damn series. Eventually we made it back to the hotel and my wife was laughing at me, but I was just so happy to have had a special moment with other Leafs fans. That was when it really clicked that it doesn't matter which games I watch, or what my takes are, or whether I wail and gnash my teeth when we lose. What matters is that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I bleed blue and white the same as the rest of you f***ers and I will be right there in the mix having the time of my life if we do win.

That's what makes all of this meaningless nonsense meaningful to me.

Last edited:

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I've tried to take a more relaxed attitude toward the team, which seems to go by the wayside whenever the playoffs roll around. However, I remember years of absolute futility where this team couldn't even put together a winning record in the regular season, and what we have now is a club that can win a lot of hockey games but tends to fall flat on the bigger stage of the postseason.

So I'm going to enjoy regular season hockey, with optimism, and keep my expectations low (where they've almost always been) when it comes to the playoffs. Have to try to enjoy what life gives you, and not fret too much about the more disappointing parts you cannot change.

Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
How could anybody be happy with this franchise right now?

If you time warped back to the first playoffs loss after Washington and someone told you they would proceed to lose the next five straight, exiting on the first round every time, setting a record in futility in all major sports, not just hockey, and that no major changes in the roster or management would happen, would you have believed it? Would you have been happy hearing that news?

No.

You would have protested and insisted that something happen to prevent a half decade of the primes of the generational talent of this team being wasted.

The best opportunity to win a cup in a lifetime pissed away.

Even three years ago, prior to the Columbus loss, I had hopes they would win at least up to the conference finals, maybe even make the finals, maybe, just maybe, even win a cup.

Boy was I ever wrong.

There is no accountability in this organization. None. Top to bottom. The country club is wiiiiide open again. The Blue'n'White disease, as Burke called it, is roaring it's ugly head again. The sense of entitlement back.

Nylander tells us all at the press conference they are SLOWLY learning what it takes to win.

They failed first grade six times already.

Dubas says he wants to be judged on his full tenure. I'd that was the case he wouldn't be here now. He's lucky Shanahan, if it is even Shanahan making the decision, will ONLY be judging him on the results of this year's playoffs.

The good news is that no matter what, win or lose, the fans will get something they want. Either the team goes deep in the playoffs or management is replaced.

Seven times out in the first round should be the final nail in Shanahan's coffin too as far as I'm concerned.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Disgusted actually
And for me the most frustrating thing is that this is probably the most talent we've had, but a rookie GM, and a rookie coach who don't seem to understand or adapt to playoff hockey
3rd and 4th lines have been a mish-mash for years and now the GM is dumpster diving for goalies.
You can tell just by the traffice on this site - people have lost interest. It's tough to watch 4-5 years of lacklustre efforts in the playoffs and the GM talking about how much the players care.

Things started off well when Shanny came on board, and things looked to be going in the right direction. Then Kyle's loyalty, devotion to players like Petan/Malgin, hanging on to players too long (ie Muzzin, Kerfoot) ....and then the presser after last year's loss. Came off as arrogant, defensive, and annoyed.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Toronto is an important and storied franchise. You'd never know it though when you consider that we've never won a playoff series in a long time. The respectable Gilmour/Sundin era is a faint memory now.

I'm not a big fan of our current management group. Shanny, Dubas, and Keefe have achieved nothing. Am I going to be happy for them when they win 1 playoff series? Not a chance.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Agree except crap shoot idea.
62,63,64,67 not crap shoot
Habs 5 in a row,
Celtics, 11 in 13 not crap shoot
UCLA, with Wooden, not crap shoot.
Man U with Fergy
KC Chiefs, not crap shoot
Good coaches, GM and owners make a difference.
The fans in Manchester, know owners are the issue.
Raptors won due to great GM decision
What happened to Toronto FC after managerial changes,
Leafs lose because of coaching, GM not understanding how to built a team, only dealing with patches, owners who love money.
IMHO.
I have been watching before Bathgate, Red Kelly trade, Horton, Stanley, Baun Brewer.
Bower and Sawchuk, like many on this board,
I have seen more idiots behind bench and in box than on the ice.
Go Leafs Go !
Cheers

What I realized is that the only thing that controls my attitude is myself. By handing control of how I feel over to the Leafs, I am only setting myself up to be disappointed; these are the Leafs after all. The MTL loss was so unbelievably brutal that I woke up the next day realizing that there were no guarantees that they would ever achieve anything and that it was time to learn how to be a fan my way. It was time to figure out the difference between caring, because I care very deeply, and attaching meaning to those feelings of caring. My way now means I don't bother catching all 82 games and I don't get hung up on the wins or losses, even in the playoffs, because I've embraced that the results are meaningless. I can care as passionately as I want, but it doesn't matter whether they win or lose because the universe doesn't owe me anything. No matter how much emotion I pour into this team they might never win and that's just the way she goes. I can't change the team, so I can only change how I approach the team.

Someone smart once told me that the only difference between a comedy and a tragedy is that in a tragedy everyone dies at the end, and I'll be damned if the Leafs losing to a zamboni driver isn't one of the funniest thing that's ever happened in hockey. Comedies usually have happy endings, but I'm the one who gets to decide whether I'm happy or not and I'm not about to let one of my favourite hobbies be a tragedy. I still love throwing in some spicy hot takes and doing my share of bitching on HFboards, but I'm laughing all the way. The Leafs are a joke, so I might as well be in on it.

Last year I ended up in Toronto during the first round for a wedding or something like that. I remember sitting in traffic on the DVP and realizing that my wife had booked us for dinner at some fancy vegan restaurant right in the middle of Game 3. I thought about it for half a second and realized that while I cared deeply about the score, I didn't actually care that much to engage in the ritual of getting all stressed out while watching the game or to be distracted from a nice evening with my partner. So I went to dinner, had a great time (the food was TERRIBLE), and checked the score on my phone a few times when my wife went to the bathroom. Our hotel was right by the Loose Moose and I remember getting out of the Uber after dinner and seeing all these Leafs fans in the street getting rowdy and screaming GO LEAFS GO. One of them made eye contact with me and yelled something about Vasilevsky sucking and suddenly I was right in there with all of them, high fiving everyone and whooping and screaming about how we were going to win this damn series. Eventually we made it back to the hotel and my wife was laughing at me, but I was just so happy to have had a special moment with other Leafs fans. That was when it really clicked that it doesn't matter which games I watch, or what my takes are, or whether I wail and gnash my teeth when we lose. What matters is that I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that I bleed blue and white the same as the rest of you f***ers and I will be right there in the mix having the time of my life if we do win.

Most honest post I’ve read here ….
Respect !!!
Go Leafs Go !

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
How could anybody be happy with this franchise right now?

If you time warped back to the first playoffs loss after Washington and someone told you they would proceed to lose the next five straight, exiting on the first round every time, setting a record in futility in all major sports, not just hockey, and that no major changes in the roster or management would happen, would you have believed it? Would you have been happy hearing that news?

No.

You would have protested and insisted that something happen to prevent a half decade of the primes of the generational talent of this team being wasted.

The best opportunity to win a cup in a lifetime pissed away.

Even three years ago, prior to the Columbus loss, I had hopes they would win at least up to the conference finals, maybe even make the finals, maybe, just maybe, even win a cup.

Boy was I ever wrong.

There is no accountability in this organization. None. Top to bottom. The country club is wiiiiide open again. The Blue'n'White disease, as Burke called it, is roaring it's ugly head again. The sense of entitlement back.

Nylander tells us all at the press conference they are SLOWLY learning what it takes to win.

They failed first grade six times already.

Dubas says he wants to be judged on his full tenure. I'd that was the case he wouldn't be here now. He's lucky Shanahan, if it is even Shanahan making the decision, will ONLY be judging him on the results of this year's playoffs.

The good news is that no matter what, win or lose, the fans will get something they want. Either the team goes deep in the playoffs or management is replaced.

Seven times out in the first round should be the final nail in Shanahan's coffin too as far as I'm concerned.
Thanks Brotha
From a statistical, wins / losses , successes , I can’t argue with you in anyway , no one can .
And in the end , I would love to exchange any of those positive , narratives that have been associated with our franchise in terms of “ model business plan “ with Wins , playoff success, and ultimately Championships any day and every day .
It’s tough that’s for sure
GLG

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Good for you, you're a wise man. :)

I tell ya, the zamboni driver stuff didn't bother me at all. I was much more upset how we got dummied by NYI in the return of Tavares to his old team, now that was embarrassing. And of course getting outscored 4-0 by Boston in the 3rd period of game 7 and getting outscored 11-2 in the next three game 7's, that still hurts to think about. But as I get older, the Leafs become less and less important in the grand scheme of things, a bit of perspective always helps. But when the playoffs start, I'll probably be like a little kid again and I am still hoping for my team to provide me with if not the cup, then at least some thrills. Cheers!

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I am still around, but I feel like it’s sort of embarrassing being a Leafs fan. Haven’t won 1 single playoff series in 20 years, and only hoping to win 1 series for a season to be successful. TML are still a joke. I don’t feel like waving the pom poms anymore for a franchise as futile as this anymore. When I was a kid in my late teens and then my 20s I wouldn't miss a game. But now, I don’t think I watched a single full Leafs game all year. I just can’t believe this franchise with such a futility record has so many fans waving pom poms for them. I like the Leafs, sure, but I don’t love them right now. I care more about my fantasy team than the Toronto Maple Leafs right now. So, no, not happy.
If I could like this post 1 million times I definitely would. This is 100 percent how I feel.

Post of year. Very well said sir.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Good for you, you're a wise man. :)

I tell ya, the zamboni driver stuff didn't bother me at all. I was much more upset how we got dummied by NYI in the return of Tavares to his old team, now that was embarrassing. And of course getting outscored 4-0 by Boston in the 3rd period of game 7 and getting outscored 11-2 in the next three game 7's, that still hurts to think about. But as I get older, the Leafs become less and less important in the grand scheme of things, a bit of perspective always helps. But when the playoffs start, I'll probably be like a little kid again and I am still hoping for my team to provide me with if not the cup, then at least some thrills. Cheers!
It's funny that you mentioned that game because that was the game that made me take off the blue and white goggles with the core and made me realize that this team did not have what it took to win just yet.

Fast forward almost 4 years later since that game and they still haven't even won a playoff round. LOL.

Reactions: keonsbitterness

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's funny that you mentioned that game because that was the game that made me take off the blue and white goggles with the core and made me realize that this team did not have what it took to win just yet.

Fast forward almost 4 years later since that game and they still haven't even won a playoff round. LOL.
Ha I remember someone posting words to that effect, don't remember who it was but I guess it may well have been you. I remember it very well because I thought he may well be on to something and now years later, your argument is more persuasive than ever. I think I always try to be optimistic, I keep telling myself that if a team can get to game 7, surely where's no reason they shouldn't be able to win game 7 yet year after year, here we are again.

I'm really torn. I can't point to anything Dubas has done wrong but maybe, just maybe there's that special something winners have and these guys just don't have it. But how can you tell who has it and who doesn't? Maybe it takes a certain skill and Dubas just doesn't have it?

But yeah I remember that game, I remember that post which was maybe yours and until we show in the playoffs that this team has what it takes, that post and those thought will continue to haunt me.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa

That game and the Montreal series after JT got hurt really have the same theme in that this team has been unable to rally around their leadership to win. Narratives are so powerful in sports and having your captain struggle is where you want to see guys step up. That they didn’t is why team leadership is the thing I’ve been most critical of. I’m always an optimist, but that game was the real canary in the coal mine that we were in for some rough results when the games actually matter.

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
All I want to know is whatever happened to Gord 'baby face ' McRae.
Or perhaps we should during the season go back to 3 goalie tandem like Doug Favell, Dunc Wilson & Eddie Johnston.

I'm a fan since the 60s. Gonna give this some thought and share.

Last edited:

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
No but that's what being a fan is all about, the agony and the ecstasy. Right now we're in a prolonged ride through the worst nightmare in sports.

The problem is of course is that we've had post '67 teams that have been good enough to win it all but for one weird fluke or other the team couldn't drag it over the finish line

I think that the 77-78 team should have won but after a hard fought and bloody 7 game series against the Isles, we got a well rested and the eventual champion Montreal Canadiens a team that had just run over Detroit 4 games to 1 outscoring them 24-10, the Wings hardly put up a fight, the Leafs were black and blue.

Then some hopelessly mediocre teams in the 80's that couldn't get out of the 2nd round and sometimes the first if they made it! And that of course led to the 90's and some real good Leafs teams and especially the 93-94 team that spit, scratched, chewed and slogged through three 7 game series only to get jobbed for the sake of hockey in California. It was an absolute travesty what the NHL did to the Leafs that year. Even the most discerning non Leafs fan couldn't come up with a reasonable explanation for Blinky Fraser's moment of willful blindness.

The year after the Cinderella Sharks gave the Leafs all they could handle and an exhausted Leafs team were dumped by the pesky Canucks quite handily 4 - 1, who played in one of the great finals in NHL history

this cycle has just kept repeating itself, we've had some really fine teams, teams that were well balanced that could play with anybody in the league that gave us fans hope that it was finally going to be this year, or the always sad "maybe next year!"

I suppose it's the hope that brings us back, it's the only thing that keeps us moving forward, but happy? No, not really, but I'm not angry or sad.

I can tell you one thing though I think this team could win a championship this year or next, as I see them being one of the top 6 teams in the league maybe even top 4 and hopefully top 2
They also didn't have Borje for that series with Montreal. Though Turnbull became a beast.

I really thought, and they shouldve, got by the BSB Flyers they could've won it all.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
All I want to know is whatever happened to Gord 'baby face ' McRae.
Or perhaps we should during the season go back to 3 goalie tandem like Doug Favell, Dunc Wilson & Eddie Johnston.

I'm a fan since the 60s. Gonna give this some thought and share.
Good one brotha
Gord McRae
We used to call him “ orange Head “ cuz he had a tiny head lol
We really have seen and enjoyed and experienced so much with this team .
A whirlwind and roller coaster of epic proportions…
I’ll never give up hope and always will be connected to the crest and team no matter what
But it challenging now for sure , maybe this year ?
Why not us ?
GLG
Thx
Cheers

Reactions: therealkoho

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
My outlook changed significantly after game 5 of the Clb series. I started to get a good honest look at the situation, and realized we were heading down the wrong path.
After watching NYR and Calgary 2 nights ago, no way we could beat either team in a 7 games series. They could run us out of the rink. Our PP has not been good enough to overcome the hitting.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Feels like this era has been a bit of the Monkey's Paw, kind of a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Growing up I remember seeing the likes of Detroit and Colorado with their superstar studded lineups and seeing what unique high end talent could do for a franchise. And comparing that to Pat Quinn's teams, which were contenders but at a lower level, more grit and grind, capped in terms of championship potential.

Now we are blessed with more star power all at once than we've had combined over the past 30 years but now we're missing out on the right supporting cast. We'll see but for all the promise of this era, the lower level talent of the 1993 and 1994, 1999-2004 team just had more fun runs.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Feels like this era has been a bit of the Monkey's Paw, kind of a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Growing up I remember seeing the likes of Detroit and Colorado with their superstar studded lineups and seeing what unique high end talent could do for a franchise. And comparing that to Pat Quinn's teams, which were contenders but at a lower level, more grit and grind, capped in terms of championship potential.

Now we are blessed with more star power all at once than we've had combined over the past 30 years but now we're missing out on the right supporting cast. We'll see but for all the promise of this era, the lower level talent of the 1993 and 1994, 1999-2004 team just had more fun runs.
Well said
Imagine the bottom 6 of those teams and era added to our top 6

You can even go another step forward and suggest that the top 4 d from those teams and even 5-6 are much better as a unit .
GLG

Reactions: Niagara Bill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad