Speculation: Are you happy with our TML Franchise ?

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Are you happy with the TML Franchise ?

I’m curious ?
This thread is more about the entirety of where the TML are as a franchise and ownership and the way we are operating as an organization.
Being a fan for 60+ years , I’ve seen almost everything, from tragedy to euphoria, from last place embarrassment to Stanley cup parades and everything in between.
From captains tearing off the letters to Game 7 victories, yes we have won cups and game 7’s .
From Fred Boimstruck to AM .
From Stratford Smythe to Shanny , from Punch to I wanted to punch Ron Wilson and from our glory games , days and years to our Horror games , days and decades .
From Harold Ballard striped Cats to Rogers Blackouts .
This will probably attest to most everyone’s ages and collective breaking points as fans .
From Tulsa to the Growlers and St Johns to the Marlies .
Now I know because im one of the few unicorns that has actually witnessed ,and basked in victorious celebrations, therefore my opinions are wonderfully imprinted with many incredible moments and high points as a fan .
But y’all know that I also suffered and experienced the “ Stockholm syndrome “ years of Ballard !
This might not be the most popular overview, especially from all of you unfortunately that haven’t experienced any success whatsoever ever and for that I’m sorry .
But …….!
I’ve never been happier and delighted and encouraged by the entirety of or our organization!
Hear me out ….
Since Shanny , Lou , ownership and this current management has taken over our Franchise has never been stronger top to bottom .
Our front office , scouting team , coaching , drafting , minor league program , developmental system , value , perception, position in the community, rightful place in Hockey history , pride in our organization worldwide , draft picks , success financially, team management, beautiful Jerseys , except (those god awful Bieber ones ) lol players wanting to play for the mighty Leaf again , diversity in out organization, our representation of leading causes in the positive world views , success in our minor league programs, investments, health and wellness programmes , diversity within and around our organization. Leadership in major sports , second to none in the money spent all facets as a world renowned Franchise and organization, stability without chaos, players wanting to come back home and taking less “ opportunities “ Leaf pride again , overtaking the Shabs as the center of Hockey worldwide, and on and on ……
Now here’s the rub unfortunately….
Everything but “ team playoff success “
Arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!
And to me the only “ ratsarghhfu*€£ fuc%#&$” mistake , and omfg what a mistake , the most glaring horrific, misguided, misinformed, mismanaged, stupidest , stubborn and most costly oversight within all that positive is our complete and utter failure in ………..
drafting , acquiring, trading for , acknowledging the absolute need for ……….
“ toughness , size , meanness , pride identity, hard to play against balance on our team to complement our extremely “ elite high end smooth “ talent .
This glaring mistake within our organization has been our death knell and is so obvious most every fan , other players , most media , other management types and even casual on lookers ..and almost everyone here ..
Unfortunately it’s been fatal !
It’s incredible how everything else in our organization is almost perfect except for this failure to acknowledge this seemingly glaring mismanagement oversight!

I hope we continue with the incredible complete positive trend in terms of our franchise and management and overall way of doing things …
But please Shanny , management , Dubas , Keefe , please please have a epiphany of all epiphanies and realize this and correct it in time for this incredible “ window of opportunity “ with this group and moving forward ..

Go Leafs Go

What say you ?
In terms of our Franchise and management and ownership since ….

Are you happy ?
Not ?

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They’re relevant and on their way to winning a few playoff rounds. If they re-sign Matthews I predict they’ll win 5 playoff rounds in the next three playoffs.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I am still around, but I feel like it’s sort of embarrassing being a Leafs fan. Haven’t won 1 single playoff series in 20 years, and only hoping to win 1 series for a season to be successful. TML are still a joke. I don’t feel like waving the pom poms anymore for a franchise as futile as this anymore. When I was a kid in my late teens and then my 20s I wouldn't miss a game. But now, I don’t think I watched a single full Leafs game all year. I just can’t believe this franchise with such a futility record has so many fans waving pom poms for them. I like the Leafs, sure, but I don’t love them right now. I care more about my fantasy team than the Toronto Maple Leafs right now. So, no, not happy.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I've previously been happier with the franchise than I am right now (the trips to the Conference Finals). Conversely, I've also experienced much worse than the present state Leafs (the years of them missing the playoffs altogether).

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
I am still around, but I feel like it’s sort of embarrassing being a Leafs fan. Haven’t won 1 single playoff series in 20 years, and only hoping to win 1 series for a season to be successful. TML are still a joke. I don’t feel like waving the pom poms anymore for a franchise as futile as this anymore. When I was a kid in my late teens and then my 20s I wouldn't miss a game. But now, I don’t think I watched a single full Leafs game all year. I just can’t believe this franchise with such a futility record has so many fans waving pom poms for them. I like the Leafs, sure, but I don’t love them right now. I care more about my fantasy team than the Toronto Maple Leafs right now. So, no, not happy.
Can’t argue with your personal experiences brotha
GLG

Last edited:
Reactions: Suntouchable13

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Happy to being a fan, of course.
Happy with the Team, God no.
On a side note ACC1224
Watched a 76 NFL game ( Steelers and Raiders )last night , what a game
Great to hear some of those great names again

I get the unhappiness from a on ice current team ( last 3-4 years )
How about the way we are run ?
Our organization?
GLG

Reactions: Anthrax442

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I am still around b/c I bleed blue and white.

But no I am not happy.

here is a progression of my emotions:

• loss against caps
    • happy that buds competed with rookies against a contender
  • loss against bruins
    • angry at the refs, NHL
  • loss against bruins
    • angry at the refs and babock for benching matthews when we needed goal and he kept on playing marleau
  • loss against CBJ
    • angry at dubas for f***ing up the cap structure and no offense from the big4;
    • got really pissed at posters blaming Freddie while 50% of the cap couldn't f***ing score goals,
    • players' attitude after the playoffs loss
  • loss against Habs
    • angry at dubas
    • keefe's inability to f***ing adjust pissed me off
    • angry at some of the players for not taking responsibility
    • really pissed for blowing a 3-1 series lead and the easiest route to the cup finals
    • montreal colors on the CN Tower and habs fans trolling really pissed me off
    • Shanny's "we need killer instinct comments"
  • loss against bolts
    • still pissed at Dubas (start and during season)
    • got really ticked at the refs in Game 6
      • kerfoot pissed me off for that stupid penalty giving bolts 5 on 3
      • Holl pissed me the F-OFF the entire series but especially in Gm6 OT the asshat was sleeping as point score the OT winner
      • Marner's stupid long distance hail mary pass that got caught by the bolts in OT and they scored
        • Marner should have f***ing learned from the f***ed up turnover in Gm7 against the habs as Habs scored to take the lead
    • but then realized leafs sucked ass and threw away Gm2 and Gm4
      • absolutely NO EXCUSE to play like that in Gm2 and Gm4; no the argument that tampa sucked in Gm1 and Gm3 so its ok does not fly with me.
    • Expected management/coaches to be fired or at least have one big trade for a shake up -> nothing happened
    • Dubas/Shanny/Keefe pissed the absolute shit out of me at the season ending presser
      • Keefe:
        • Respect in the handshake WTF is that have some f***ing pride
        • Refusal to play Lily and playing Holl out of spite because Keefe was called out in the media; including one of his post game interviews. Keefe comments (paraphrasing): "We think holl is very important, we don't care about media"
          • everyone saw how much Holl f***ing sucked in that series.
      • Shanny/Dubas: Oh we are close
        • close to what dumbass? making the f***ing 2nd round.
        • Their attitude at the press conference really pissed the F outta me
        • also shanny completely forgot I guess about the "killer instinct" comment he had made after the habs loss
  • THIS SEASON:
    • I am not as much into it as past seasons b/c the hole dug by dubas is too great to fill in a jiffy unless there is a miracle.
    • Post season: TBD

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
No but that's what being a fan is all about, the agony and the ecstasy. Right now we're in a prolonged ride through the worst nightmare in sports.

The problem is of course is that we've had post '67 teams that have been good enough to win it all but for one weird fluke or other the team couldn't drag it over the finish line

I think that the 77-78 team should have won but after a hard fought and bloody 7 game series against the Isles, we got a well rested and the eventual champion Montreal Canadiens a team that had just run over Detroit 4 games to 1 outscoring them 24-10, the Wings hardly put up a fight, the Leafs were black and blue.

Then some hopelessly mediocre teams in the 80's that couldn't get out of the 2nd round and sometimes the first if they made it! And that of course led to the 90's and some real good Leafs teams and especially the 93-94 team that spit, scratched, chewed and slogged through three 7 game series only to get jobbed for the sake of hockey in California. It was an absolute travesty what the NHL did to the Leafs that year. Even the most discerning non Leafs fan couldn't come up with a reasonable explanation for Blinky Fraser's moment of willful blindness.

The year after the Cinderella Sharks gave the Leafs all they could handle and an exhausted Leafs team were dumped by the pesky Canucks quite handily 4 - 1, who played in one of the great finals in NHL history

this cycle has just kept repeating itself, we've had some really fine teams, teams that were well balanced that could play with anybody in the league that gave us fans hope that it was finally going to be this year, or the always sad "maybe next year!"

I suppose it's the hope that brings us back, it's the only thing that keeps us moving forward, but happy? No, not really, but I'm not angry or sad.

I can tell you one thing though I think this team could win a championship this year or next, as I see them being one of the top 6 teams in the league maybe even top 4 and hopefully top 2

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA
In terms of the team performance:

No, the goal is to win the cup. They have not been able to do anything at all in the post season. They look competitive in the post season, they have a good PR dept that makes the management look calm, collective and intelligent. But results matter!

In terms of the business:

Prices for seats are ridiculously unaffordable. I for one demand that they should allow for another franchise in the gtha. There should be more options for the fans. I don't care who you support at the end but fans should get more value for their $. If NYC can have multiple franchises so should Toronto.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
I am still around b/c I bleed blue and white.

But no I am not happy.

here is a progression of my emotions:

• loss against caps
    • happy that buds competed with rookies against a contender
  • loss against bruins
    • angry at the refs, NHL
  • loss against bruins
    • angry at the refs and babock for benching matthews when we needed goal and he kept on playing marleau
  • loss against CBJ
    • angry at dubas for f***ing up the cap structure and no offense from the big4;
    • got really pissed at posters blaming Freddie while 50% of the cap couldn't f***ing score goals,
    • players' attitude after the playoffs loss
  • loss against Habs
    • angry at dubas
    • keefe's inability to f***ing adjust pissed me off
    • angry at some of the players for not taking responsibility
    • really pissed for blowing a 3-1 series lead and the easiest route to the cup finals
    • montreal colors on the CN Tower and habs fans trolling really pissed me off
  • loss against bolts
    • still pissed at Dubas (start and during season)
    • got really ticked at the refs in Game 6
      • kerfoot pissed me off for that stupid penalty giving bolts 5 on 3
      • Holl pissed me the F-OFF the entire series but especially in Gm6 OT the asshat was sleeping as point score the OT winner
      • Marner's stupid long distance hail mary pass that got caught by the bolts in OT and they scored
        • Marner should have f***ing learned from the f***ed up turnover in Gm7 against the habs as Habs scored to take the lead
    • but then realized leafs sucked ass and threw away Gm2 and Gm4
      • absolutely NO EXCUSE to play like that in Gm2 and Gm4; no the argument that tampa sucked in Gm1 and Gm3 so its ok does not fly with me.
    • Expected management/coaches to be fired or at least have one big trade for a shake up -> nothing happened
    • Dubas/Shanny/Keefe pissed the absolute shit out of me at the season ending presser
      • Keefe:
        • Respect in the handshake WTF is that have some f***ing pride
        • Refusal to play Lily and playing Holl out of spite because Keefe was called out in the media; including one of his post game interviews. Keefe comments (paraphrasing): "We think holl is very important, we don't care about media"
          • everyone saw how much Holl f***ing sucked in that series.
      • Shanny/Dubas: Oh we are close
        • close to what dumbass? making the f***ing 2nd round.
        • Their attitude at the press conference really pissed the F outta me
  • THIS SEASON:
    • I am not as much into it as past seasons b/c the hole dug by dubas is too great to fill in a jiffy unless there is a miracle.
    • Post season: TBD
Very astute points for sure …
I don’t know ? I’m pretty sure you have witnessed the sheer ugliness of our ladt 40 plus years ???
I’m more asking if you think the current Shanny management has done a good job for you in terms of all the other things ???
But boy do I get your frustration…
GLG

Reactions: PromisedLand

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
You've been around much longer than I, so I admire your dedication. Look at me, I couldn't even make it through 22 seasons of Leafs hockey before they broke me.
You don’t choose the ones you love …

See Cleveland
See Mets
See Lions
More
See any other fan base that haven’t been good at all
Its in our blood
You will witness a cup for us
Hang in there
GLG

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Huge NO.
Lived and breathed Leafs from the 70s. Used to watch every game, used to tape games that I would be missing and watch them when I got home at 1 or 2 in the morning, etc etc. I rarely watch a regular season game now.
Anyway, I don't want to go on a long rant. I will just say that the Montreal series was the last straw. Took a step back and said these guys don't care half as much as I do haha.
I will cheer as hard as in the past, come playoff time. Game 83 is when the season starts for me.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Huge NO.
Lived and breathed Leafs from the 70s. Used to watch every game, used to tape games that I would be missing and watch them when I got home at 1 or 2 in the morning, etc etc. I rarely watch a regular season game now.
Anyway, I don't want to go on a long rant. I will just say that the Montreal series was the last straw. Took a step back and said these guys don't care half as much as I do haha.
I will cheer as hard as in the past, come playoff time. Game 83 is when the season starts for me.
Again
Can’t argue with your frustration
And yes the Shabs series took a bite out of me unfortunately
GLG

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

You haven't watched a game all year and yet are confident to say we suck. Sounds like you belong on the main boards

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
You've been around much longer than I, so I admire your dedication. Look at me, I couldn't even make it through 22 seasons of Leafs hockey before they broke me.
The 80s were a disaster, but there wasn’t 24/7 access/ coverage
The Pat (Burns Quinn) eras were terrific- sports radio came on at that time

I could see how this era could break a fan.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I enjoy knowing they will be a lock for the playoffs every year and will end up usually top 5-10. After the prolonged stretch of missing this carries me through the season.

I guess never seeing them ever win the Cup, or even make a finals appearance eases the jolt every year.

Was I any less disappointed losing to LA, Van, Buff or Car in the Conference Finals? I guess I enjoyed a bonus 12-14 games but in the end the result was the same.

Perhaps being a Bills fan as well has just put me in a head space where I expect the worst to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad