Are you glad we’re in?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
As they write "seedings of the top four teams could change", I take it the Yotes gets St Louis in the real first round, if we assume Preds are taken care of. Unless Chicago beats Edmonton, not unlikely, then it would be against Colorado. ?

Ninja edit: But of course, Nashville first! It will be fun. :arr:

Reactions: Summer Rose

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
As they write "seedings of the top four teams could change", I take it the Yotes gets St Louis in the real first round, if we assume Preds are taken care of. Unless Chicago beats Edmonton, not unlikely, then it would be against Colorado. ?

Ninja edit: But of course, Nashville first! It will be fun. :arr:

Our chances against Nashville will probably rely heavily on whether Rinne actually thinks the "play-in" round games are actual playoff games or not. If he does, we're likely to get through but on no merit of our own. If he doesn't, we're toast.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Somehow, it's 100% Coyotes to back into a playoff this way.

Can't say I'm glad, per se, because we're gonna get wiped out with extreme prejudice fairly early on in the proceedings. But I am looking forward to seeing Taylor Hall play in a Coyotes uniform a couple more times before he goes to LA or wherever.

Reactions: RemoAZ

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Can't say I'm glad, per se, because we're gonna get wiped out with extreme prejudice fairly early on in the proceedings. But I am looking forward to seeing Taylor Hall play in a Coyotes uniform a couple more times before he goes to LA or wherever.

I dunno there's a part of my mind that thinks we won't, at least early, because early in the season when other teams were still discombobulated the Coyotes were better.

Kuemper or Raanta or both, rested and ready and other teams fighting off the cobwebs gives the Yotes a chance to win some games IMO.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Somehow, it's 100% Coyotes to back into a playoff this way.

It's also 100% Sabres to still manage to miss an expanded playoff format. I'm not really sure why it's the first thing I thought of, but the entire time I was pondering what revamped format the NHL was going to use, that the Sabres would still miss the playoffs.

I dunno there's a part of my mind that thinks we won't, at least early, because early in the season when other teams were still discombobulated the Coyotes were better.

Kuemper or Raanta or both, rested and ready and other teams fighting off the cobwebs gives the Yotes a chance to win some games IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if we "upset" the Predators in the play-in round but then got eliminated in the "proper" first round.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I wonder... does making it into this hybrid playoff system mean that we aren't lottery-eligible? The way the season was going we might have had a shot at Lafreniere - but I'm guessing that now we'll lose our first to Jersey.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I love Shane Doan but he would have been the first one in line to grant Hanzel a 5 year extension. You need to be more long-term and less emotionally tied to your players.
You don't know that. Just because they were an emotional player doesn't he will be as GM or coach. Look no farther than our current coach.

Reactions: Surfshop

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
You don't know that. Just because they were an emotional player doesn't he will be as GM or coach. Look no farther than our current coach.
Did you see the interview when the senior executives kiboshed a 5 year extension to Hanzal? Doan was beside himself with frustration.

Reactions: Surfshop

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
He’s working out great! :sarcasm:
I do think Doan would be excellent in whatever role he set his mind to though, but he would definitely need to put his emotions aside.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I wonder... does making it into this hybrid playoff system mean that we aren't lottery-eligible? The way the season was going we might have had a shot at Lafreniere - but I'm guessing that now we'll lose our first to Jersey.
I doubt teams in the play-ins will be included in the lottery, but presumably the losers could be eligible. I think it's not determined what the status of the deal with the Devils is now. The league's protocol is for the teams in a deal to come to an agreement and barring that, they'll step in and determine it. It should become clearer once more solid plans for this all come out and we see the language the league is using to describe the first part as part of the playoffs or not. I think that'll be telling as to which way things lean.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Don't know. The process is painfully slow.

Pagnotta (The Fourth Period) thinks late July.

There’s supposed to be a three week camp starting July prior to the first play-in games.

Which makes me wonder what they will do in regards to:

1) The entry draft.
2) Prospect camps.
3) Rookie/Veteran camps.
4) 2020-21 Pre-season.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

There’s supposed to be a three week camp starting July prior to the first play-in games.

1) The entry draft.
2) Prospect camps.
3) Rookie/Veteran camps.
4) 2020-21 Pre-season.

5) 2020-21 Season.

The good news, we'll be playing in June 2021. The bad news, it'll still be the regular season. :laugh:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
So, here is my question: with 24 teams, you have to have the play-in round, correct? So with 6 teams from each division, the top two seeds in each get a bye, and then the 3 through 6 seeds play against each other to face the 1 and 2 seeds, correct? So does that mean we lose our pick automatically if we lose in the play-in round? Or is the lottery only down to the 7 remaining teams only?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Did you see the interview when the senior executives kiboshed a 5 year extension to Hanzal? Doan was beside himself with frustration.
He was captain then. Nothing to do if he was in a senior role with the Yotes.

sundance74

Oct 13, 2013
North of Puszta

1) The entry draft.
2) Prospect camps.
3) Rookie/Veteran camps.
4) 2020-21 Pre-season.
How it is working with upcoming free agents, are they still under contract for the playoffs then?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00