Pre-Game Talk: Are you cheering for the Canucks to Win or Lose this season?

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Wanting the team to win, but being happy with the consolation prize if they don't.

So you'd be happy if they finish 20th in the league and pick 11th in the draft? Or if they were to somehow make the playoffs, get curb stomped in the first round and pick 15th?

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
So you'd be happy if they finish 20th in the league and pick 11th in the draft? Or if they were to somehow make the playoffs, get curb stomped in the first round and pick 15th?

I was just explaining the mindset. It's not my personal opinion. I'm not going to be very happy no matter the seasons outcome unless we win the lottery(won't happen) or win the cup (won't happen).

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I was just explaining the mindset. It's not my personal opinion. I'm not going to be very happy no matter the seasons outcome unless we win the lottery(won't happen) or win the cup (won't happen).

I don't think it fully explains the mindset. I think it's hypocrisy at it's best to be honest. Oh well.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
I cannot cheer for us to lose that is just wrong, Do I think we will be a losing team ? Yes, of course! But actively cheering for our boys to lose is not in my blood

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

Reminds me of a friend of mine who is a die hard Habsfan (that absolutely HATES the Laffs - heh, maybe that's why we're friends :laugh:). He'd rather see his team go 8-74 with all eight wins against the Laffs rather than 74-8 with all eight losses against the Laffs.:laugh:

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Cheering for them to win while knowing full well they will probably be a lottery team again. No need to cheer for losses when you know the team is bad and will inevitably lose anyway.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I actively cheer for losses because I want this team to finish 31st. I want to have the best odds at the 1st overall pick, guaranteeing no worse than 4th overall. I also want this team to be so bad that ownership has no other choice but to make a change in the front office. To me, cheering for this team is also supporting management. The more games this team wins, the more likely it is for management to survive another year. I can't support that, ergo, I actively cheer for the Canucks to lose.

black ace

Jul 4, 2006
Vancouver
I want another top 5 pick and the young players to continue to develop. Need to keep accumulating prospects. Not all will make it.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I'd rather them lose most games however any games I watch no doubt am I cheering for our young guys to score

This is me. That's why I'm hoping to see at least one rookie make the team. Give me something to care about.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Starting to think we should just stay out of the the top 10 altogether. It hasn't gone well.

member 290103

I actively cheer for losses because I want this team to finish 31st. I want to have the best odds at the 1st overall pick, guaranteeing no worse than 4th overall. I also want this team to be so bad that ownership has no other choice but to make a change in the front office. To me, cheering for this team is also supporting management. The more games this team wins, the more likely it is for management to survive another year. I can't support that, ergo, I actively cheer for the Canucks to lose.

Pretty much this. I'd add that a perfect game would see all their young guys play well, put up points, but then lose. I am also happy to hear attendance suffering and interest waning. That's what it will take to initiate change.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I've never been one to cheer for losing, it's just not how I was raised. I think Tank Nation got a hard lesson last year in that, no matter how bad your lineup is, you are guaranteed nothing. What a miserable soul it must take to continue to root for losing after last year's lottery....

I've never been a part of Tank Nation and I'm not gonna start now. Can you imagine, going to the game with your family, decked out in team apparel, and booing every time that very same team scores a goal?

All that said, I think if the Canucks were done any justice by the hockey gods, the team would lose, the people would stop going to the games, and the Aquilinis will finally come to the realization that their meddling is actively and significantly hurting the franchise. Then Jimbo can actually acquire futures for our expiring contracts, instead of having nearly-inked deals blocked at the 1 yard line by people who don't know a puck from a turd on the side of the road...

I mean, if the Aquilinis can just realize that without all the losing that'd be nice too. But I have a feeling it will take empty stands and record-low profits to jostle their brains loose.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I've never been one to cheer for losing, it's just not how I was raised. I think Tank Nation got a hard lesson last year in that, no matter how bad your lineup is, you are guaranteed nothing. What a miserable soul it must take to continue to root for losing after last year's lottery....

I've never been a part of Tank Nation and I'm not gonna start now. Can you imagine, going to the game with your family, decked out in team apparel, and booing every time that very same team scores a goal?

All that said, I think if the Canucks were done any justice by the hockey gods, the team would lose, the people would stop going to the games, and the Aquilinis will finally come to the realization that their meddling is actively and significantly hurting the franchise. Then Jimbo can actually acquire futures for our expiring contracts, instead of having nearly-inked deals blocked at the 1 yard line by people who don't know a puck from a turd on the side of the road...

I mean, if the Aquilinis can just realize that without all the losing that'd be nice too. But I have a feeling it will take empty stands and record-low profits to jostle their brains loose.

That's quite the accusation. I'm on team tank and I certainly don't do this.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
when fans were chanting fire gillis I knew we were going to be screwed for a long time. he made some blunders but he was a very intelligent GM

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007
People that cheer to win are delusional. Then those same fans complain why we have been sucking and not getting the McDavids or the Matthews.

I am cheering for them to lose every single game this season. It's about the future, not now. That is why I have never attended a Canucks game live in the past four years.

Petrichor

Jan 25, 2017
Haha, don't know what the point is to cheer for a loss every night just to get a high draft pick in June. Why not just skip hockey altogether and come back onto the forums in the summer?

At the end of the day, the Canucks are still my favourite team and they are just one source of entertainment. I want to see lots of scoring and playoffs, because this April was boring without them.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Haha, don't know what the point is to cheer for a loss every night just to get a high draft pick in June. Why not just skip hockey altogether and come back onto the forums in the summer?

At the end of the day, the Canucks are still my favourite team and they are just one source of entertainment. I want to see lots of scoring and playoffs, because this April was boring without them.

Cheering is to get the outcome you want, no?

Why does it make no sense to cheer for a high draft pick if you value a high draft pick more than missing playoffs by a handful of points? One isn't intrinsically better than the other, it just depends on what makes you happy.

Hell, I could argue cheering for losses makes more sense since it's more likely to happen, therefore less frustrating than cheering for wins that will be few and far between. With this current team being happy with losses is a pretty solid coping mechanism.

Petrichor

Jan 25, 2017
Cheering is to get the outcome you want, no?

Why does it make no sense to cheer for a high draft pick if you value a high draft pick more than missing playoffs by a handful of points? One isn't intrinsically better than the other, it just depends on what makes you happy.

Hell, I could argue cheering for losses makes more sense since it's more likely to happen, therefore less frustrating than cheering for wins that will be few and far between. With this current team being happy with losses is a pretty solid coping mechanism.

Well that's your prerogative and likely many pro-tankers anyways, so you're in good company.

For me though, I don't care about high draft picks. Good players are found throughout the 1st round. Our very own Boeser was drafted 23rd and looks like one of the best prospects we've had since Horvat.

I care about winning. Because winning is fun. Even when we defeated LA last night, it was fun. Sure, it's meaningless, but seeing Boeser get that OT winner, that was awesome.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
like greener said, see some key young players progress. i dont care if that equals wins or losses.

jd22

Aug 16, 2008
Texel, Netherlands
Lots of voices in here. The title says it all. 'this season' is key, of course. And looking at our roster and prospects - it can't compete, reliably, with up and coming teams like the Edmonton's and Calgary's of the league. We might eke out a win or two against them in the playoffs, if by some miracle the Canucks made it there. It's a bad way to go about it.

Sure, tanking is no guarantee, but the odds are you get a better player the worse you are the prior season. For that reason I am cheering for the Canucks ... by losing. I am cheering for them four years in the future. It's a bit like an RRSP you start at age 19 - payoff later.

I am hoping that, unlike you guys, Vanek does very well this year and is able to net a 2nd round pick at the deadline.

Of course the usual cheering for prospects and young guys, but not at the expense of wins. Boeser for Calder, hopefully.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Top 5 this top 5 that

If we drafted in the 8th 9th range i think we would be better off with who we get their over juolevi and co.

Its about drafting properly, especially if were out of the top 2 picks

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Well that's your prerogative and likely many pro-tankers anyways, so you're in good company.

For me though, I don't care about high draft picks. Good players are found throughout the 1st round. Our very own Boeser was drafted 23rd and looks like one of the best prospects we've had since Horvat.

I care about winning. Because winning is fun. Even when we defeated LA last night, it was fun. Sure, it's meaningless, but seeing Boeser get that OT winner, that was awesome.

Sure, I'm just responding to your comment of "why don't you skip the forums altogether and come back in June". It's not like cheering for losses on a team that loses > wins is exactly painful or difficult to do. As long as the team is doing it anyway I might as well get behind it. Cheering for wins at this point is fine, it just seems pointless and potentially frustrating to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad