Are we sleeping on the Minnesota Wild?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
They won’t be seriously competitive until the Parise/Suter cap penalties expire in 2024-25.

After next season? Depends on how Guerin spends the additional $14.7M. Also, how our young players continue to progress.

Faber, Rossi, Wallstedt, Yurov, and Ohgren are looking fantastic.

Given his track record, I don’t trust Guerin to spend money on FAs.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I have never been a Minnesota fan, but that Calder trophy 100+ point getter likely to get his second 100+ point total in his 4th year... Kirill Kaprizov... needs his flowers....

A small market team with little hype but winning ... could be a surprise conference finalist. ... we just never hear about this team. I watch games 3-4 times a week and somehow never saw a Wild game this season.

That's what makes the Wild the Wild.

You can watch them 3-4 times a week -- and still not see a game.

Playoffs someyear, here we come.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
I have never been a Minnesota fan, but that Calder trophy 100+ point getter likely to get his second 100+ point total in his 4th year... Kirill Kaprizov... needs his flowers....
i feel like it's already known he's a good player. hf boards did a poll in the offseason he was voted the 5th best winger in the league. he was only behind kuch, tkachuk, pasta, and rantanen.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
They could definitely make some massive progress and finish 9th maybe even 7th next year.

#WildGettingWild

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Also, how our young players continue to progress.

Faber, Rossi, Wallstedt, Yurov, and Ohgren are looking fantastic.
This is a big key - in terms of HFBoards, Minnesota has had some low key but good prospects. Only Wally has been really discussed. They need to figure out what they are going to do on defense though.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
What has this franchise ever accomplished in their existence?
See now, a post like this shows a fundamental lack of understanding about what makes the Wild great. Anyone can be last place, you just need to give up entirely. Anyone can be first place, you just need to be better than everybody else. It's easy. But to be consistently in the middle of the pack? That takes precision. One year? It's just a happening. Two years? Coincidence. A quarter of a century? Pinpoint precision, engineered placement, consistency at a level that no other team has ever achieved.
The NHL will never be the same... except in the middle.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
The Wild still play the same brand of low skill Garbo-hockey they always have and they will always be stuck in the mushy middle because of it. Good enough to make it into round 1, maybe get an upset, but that’s about it.

Great fan base that I have a lot of respect for but the Wild as a team has always been gross for me - somebody tell them it’s 2024 not 2004. KK97 is just the new Gaborik!

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The Wild still play the same brand of low skill Garbo-hockey they always have and they will always be stuck in the mushy middle because of it. Good enough to make it into round 1, maybe get an upset, but that’s about it.

Great fan base that I have a lot of respect for but the Wild as a team has always been gross for me - somebody tell them it’s 2024 not 2004. KK97 is just the new Gaborik!

What? Boldy, Zuccarello, Spurgeon, Faber, Fiala, Joel Eriksson-Ek are all heads and shoulders above what they had in 2004. Hell Ek became their first 30 goal scoring center since Staal.

Hockey Know it all

Mar 10, 2019

A small market team with little hype but winning ... could be a surprise conference finalist. ... we just never hear about this team. I watch games 3-4 times a week and somehow never saw a Wild game this season.
Not trying to be a d*** but have you checked the standings in the west?

The wild already got eliminated my guy.

At least do a LITTLE research before making a post.

• Wow
Reactions: Ted Hoffman

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
One more year of cap nightmare, they have pretty decent top 5 forwards but really only 5 top nine forwards. Hard to have depth when your still paying suter parise.. they have some high end forward talent coming soon. Plus there d is amazingly thin. Brodin spurg middleton and faber are good. After that its just blah. They need some of there d prospects to step up bigtime.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

2b8076a830379baaf257fcae09466fd304c77889.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Yeah we’re not going anywhere for a few years. We have 15 million of dead cap space (Parise and Suter buyouts)

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Yeah we’re not going anywhere for a few years. We have 15 million of dead cap space (Parise and Suter buyouts)
I agree we have a few more years, but the massive dead cap space is done after next season. Of course by then Billy will be adding new dead cap by buying out Foligno and Freddy. Love, love, LOVE those new contracts! :mad:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Wild have a lot of work to do. Especially since they’re in the Central. As a Jets fan I hate them. As a former Thrashers fan I do wish them the best… sort of lol

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Kaprizov’ numbers are ridiculously good.

That said; latest playoff succes story I remember from Minnesota was Andre Brunette’s OT goal against Patrick Roy.

League filling team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad