Salary Cap: Are we really happy to have Matthews and Marner signed?

Which would you rather have?

• Marner at $10.9M for 6 years plus Matthews at $11.6M for 5 years

• Marner at $9.25 for 6 years plus Arizona's next 4 first round picks and lots of cap space?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magick93

Mar 4, 2004
Let it be known that OP hasn't posted on the boards in almost 10 years and never on the leafs board prior to this.

Safe to say this is just someone speaking attention who hasn't watched a game in years.

The answer though is unanimously yes, we are really really really really happy to have Matthews and Marner locked up long-term.

Well you should watch the Leafs, they should have an exciting team this year. I too am glad they have Marner and Matthews signed but their signings are not long-term. McDavid signed a long-term deal. Their cap hits would be reasonable had they signed 8 years.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Well you should watch the Leafs, they should have an exciting team this year. I too am glad they have Marner and Matthews signed but the signing are not long-term. McDavid signed a long-term deal. Their cap hits would be reasonable had they signed 8 years.
I watch the leafs every game for the last 5 years, thanks.
5 and 6 years sounds like. Long time to me..

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Depends on the post season success. Regular season points and scoring don’t mean much IMO
Regular season means alot to me anyway. Think of how you feel after a win, think of work the next day after a loss, and listening to the phoney Sens and Hab fans.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
there is nothing better than elite cap space.

How disappointing is it when you go the league standings and you see the leafs with $0 in cap space

Habs are heading to their third straight season with tons of cap space 9 million per roughly.Lucky them. Missed a playoff spot by a couple of points. But kept their options open. Jeffy Molson was happy I guess.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
there is nothing better than elite cap space.

How disappointing is it when you go the league standings and you see the leafs with $0 in cap space
Not as disappointing as being just above the cap floor. Plenty of elite capspace for some floor teams. I bet the fans aren't thrilled.

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Shame on me for asking your opinion?

We just had an entire summer full of this shit. As somebody who really enjoys reading the opinions on here, this board was becoming unreadable at times pitting Matthews and Marner against each other. And I know I dont have to click the thread, respond or even come here but I really do enjoy the commentary from a lot of people here. I look at it this way. They're both now signed and they're both probably overpaid but we still have an amazing team. Isn't it just time to enjoy the season? Or maybe it's me who's wrong :huh:

ImpartialNHLfan

Oct 26, 2011
Parts Unknown
Im happy to have them here. But im not very happy that star players feel the need to be paid a premium to play here. It use to be an honor to wear a Leaf jersey.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Lol... cuz Cap Space wins Championships

We have: Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner, John Tavares and William Nylander locked in for the next 5+ years, and people are still unhappy

Reactions: stickty111 and kb

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Im happy to have them here. But im not very happy that star players feel the need to be paid a premium to play here. It use to be an honor to wear a Leaf jersey.

That stopped being true a really long time ago. Just ask Dave Keon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad