Salary Cap: Are we really happy to have Matthews and Marner signed?

Which would you rather have?

• Marner at $10.9M for 6 years plus Matthews at $11.6M for 5 years

• Marner at $9.25 for 6 years plus Arizona's next 4 first round picks and lots of cap space?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magick93

Mar 4, 2004
There have been a lot of assertions that Dubas overpaid Matthews, and that since he did so, he also had to overpay Marner to get him signed before the star of the season. Comparing Marner's and Rantanen's 6 year deals it would appear that he did pay a premium.

In fairness to Dubas I think he knew that if Matthews had been unsigned by July 1, that Arizona or another team would have signed him to an offer sheet that the Leafs could not have matched. We would have had 4 more first round picks and lots of cap space but lost our franchise centre. Without the Matthews comparable, Marner likely would have signed for less- perhaps more in the Rantanen range.

So what would you prefer, overpaid stars or Marner at market price plus the picks?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
There have been a lot of assertions that Dubas overpaid Matthews, and that since he did so, he also had to overpay Marner to get him signed before the star of the season. Comparing Marner's and Rantanen's 6 year deals it would appear that he did pay a premium.

In fairness to Dubas I think he knew that if Matthews had been unsigned by July 1, that Arizona or another team would have signed him to an offer sheet that the Leafs could not have matched. We would have had 4 more first round picks and lots of cap space but lost our franchise centre. Without the Matthews comparable, Marner likely would have signed for less- perhaps more in the Rantanen range.

So what would you prefer, overpaid stars or Marner at market price plus the picks?

Secret option 3. If Matthews ends up wanting out.

Would you rather the return of just 4 picks from a team not of your choice

Orrrrr on July 2 if trade matthews with 4 years
Left on his contract with 28 million left to pay.

Which is a. Better return?

Reactions: Its not your fault

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I dunno, really. Could any team match the top lines of

Johnsson - Cap Space- Nylander
Hyman - Tavares- Cap Space

All that cap space could be anything! It could even be Matthews and Marner!

Hey now they could have used that cap space to fill the void by signing the amazing Kevin Hayes to a $7 mill AAV deal

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I don't know which option to pick. How come there is no offer sheet option for Mitch and only for Auston? Word was he had legitimate offers from Columbus and Minni. :sarcasm:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Creating threads is way too easy. I just wish people would use the search function because chances are that same thread idea has already been brought up.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We overpaid, and we got our core locked down. It's still likely the best lineup that I've ever seen as a Leafs fan. We could wish for more cap space, but it's a pretty solid lineup.

If we win the cup, nobody will care who get paid what.

Now let's start some hockey, so these threads, and obsession over cap can be left behind. Go Leafs!!

Reactions: The Examiner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad