Are we really going to be better next year? Is this really a transition year?

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
We need players like Galchenyuk and Beaulieu to take a couple of steps forward next year. All the more reason why we should've given them bigger roles this season.

This type of player will not take any big steps forward if they are being told to dump, chase, and take low quality outside shots all day. That's the problem.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Absolutely. If we knew this was a transition year we should have played them more and more. And the Sekac trade makes less sense.. why trade a prospect with possible top 6 capability for a physical player for a playoff run now.

I think this is mostly part of Bergevin pandering to the desires of Therrien. It came to light that MT wanted Eller and Sekac gone. Apparently MB accommodated the bench oaf by trading Sekac.

It's usually a good thing to have a coach and GM discussing the roster, but Therrien's offense killing game plans have been disastrous in the playoffs. More grinders we certainly do not need.

Time to say adieu to M. Therrien before it's too late.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The OP is so bloody negative. Sure we should not be looking at everything with rosie glasses but to make statements and assume everyone has plateaued or will get worse is not logical either.

HabsDieHard*

The OP is so bloody negative. Sure we should not be looking at everything with rosie glasses but to make statements and assume everyone has plateaued or will get worse is not logical either.

Some will get better.

Some will get worse.

Others have plateaud and likely won't change much in the coming years.

Fact is, this management team would have the fans believe there is some bright future coming, but there's actually no real evidence to support that, and they could be much worse next year.

They've been incredibly fortunate with health the last couple of seasons, and Bergevin has completely and totally failed at improving the offence in his 3 years on the job.

What reason do you have to believe they'll be better next year?

Since you disagree with the OP, why not put forth an argument of your own?

HabsDieHard*

As well, the OP was pretty much bang on in his assessment of who has plateaued, who has gotten better, and who will get worse.

Only area I strongly disagree is I think Gallagher can become a high end defensive player, in the mould of Gionta, but realistically he likely doesn't have much more of a ceiling as an offensive guy in the NHL.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Sekac had 23 points in 69 games in his first NHL season playing difficult minutes. He's already a two way forward.

He's already done better than Smith-Pelly is ever going to do.

Let's be honest. Sekac was a good winger for Eller. So they traded him to get someone they thought could be a good winger for the teacher's pet, David Desespoir.

Totally agree, I was pissed the day he was moved and still pissed today.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Some will get better.

Some will get worse.

Others have plateaued and likely won't change much in the coming years.

Fact is, this management team would have the fans believe there is some bright future coming, but there's actually no real evidence to support that, and they could be much worse next year.

They've been incredibly fortunate with health the last couple of seasons, and Bergevin has completely and totally failed at improving the offence in his 3 years on the job.

What reason do you have to believe they'll be better next year?

Since you disagree with the OP, why not put forth an argument of your own?

I blame the lack of scoring on this coach and how he uses and treats his players. Bergevin has been a wash overall, he has made some bloody nice moves but has also made some that really had me scratching my head.

Will this team be better? Hard to say but with the right coach I think they could be at the same level.

To say Gallagher will not improve is short sighted and his consistent improvement both on and off the scoring sheet tend to show the opposite. He is only 23...still room to continue improving.

I think MaxPax has reached a comfort level offensively, he might get a few more assists and be a 70-75 point player who will round out his defensive game. So yes I think he will continue to improve as a player.

Same with PK about the same offence with improving defensive abilities. People have to realize just because you stay at the same point level does not mean you still aren't improving as a player.

I haven't totally written off the team like so many around here seem to have but that is with the caveat that a better coach is brought in.

Maliki2

Mar 31, 2005
Saint Albans, VT
I agree with the OP if the habs want to make the full transition they should move the older vets like Plekanec, Markov and Prust.

I doubt we do that but orherwise it's not really a transition year just a waste.

Transition year...I'm still trying to figure out why this team can't develop young players now for over 20 years.

Maliki2

Mar 31, 2005
Saint Albans, VT
I think this is mostly part of Bergevin pandering to the desires of Therrien. It came to light that MT wanted Eller and Sekac gone. Apparently MB accommodated the bench oaf by trading Sekac.

It's usually a good thing to have a coach and GM discussing the roster, but Therrien's offense killing game plans have been disastrous in the playoffs. More grinders we certainly do not need.

Time to say adieu to M. Therrien before it's too late.

Four more years...let that set in...Bergy resigned this fool to four more years. At this rate they both should be gone.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
All I know is that we've just pissed away a Hart level season by our goaltender by having the most ineffective offence I've seen in my 20 something years of following the Habs.

Vanek, Bourque and Briere were not replaced adequetly and that's me being mild. I'm not saying these guys should still be here but not coming close to what they provided is a failure.

"Transition year" is for the birds. There's nothing to it.

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Think your sour over being down 3-0 and rightfully so, we all are. However, I find this really inaccurate. How can you say Gallagher, Pacioretty and Subban have hit their ceiling? Pacioretty hasn't played with a legitimate first liner and has already had two 35 + goal seasons. PK Subban is a machine and will constantly be improving and Gallagher's willingness to play hard will only result in more points, not less.

The issue is simply scoring. This team needs a coach who allows offensive players to play with confidence and do what they need to with the puck. I think next year you acquire a legitimate veteran top 6 winger to take pressure off of Pacioretty and fill another top 6 role with a guy like Hudon or Scherbak.

Our defence is steady, I think you'll see most back with the exception of Emelin. Petry is simply a must, guy plays the game so fluently others on the team should take note. Beaulieu and Tinner will need to be given a chance to play, simple as that.

What I'd like to see:

Pacioretty - Galchenyuk - Gallagher

Sharp - Plekanec - Scherbak

Hudon - Eller - Smith Pelly

De La Rose - Mitchell - Weise

Markov - Subban

Beaulieu - Petry

Tinordi - Gilbert

extra: Pateryn, Bournival, Prust

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Tampa Bay is the perfect example of allowing young players to make mistakes and play their style. The kids are all playing to their potential.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Them calling it a transition year was a copout to encourage people to lower the bar.

DLR 33 games
Bournival 29 games
Thomas 18 games
Pateryn 17 games
Tinner 13 games
Ghetto 12 games
Dumont 3 games
Bowman 3 games

High profile rookie free agent traded away in a downgrade after 50 games.
Chucky got 10 games at C, then was shifted back to W because he went pointless in a game
Desharnais is still our #1C, when he is clearly unfit for the role.

How is this transition?

You forgot Beaulieu playing bottom pairing minutes instead of getting some of Markov's but you get the point across.

Best case scenario, next year will be what this year should have been. Which means we've essentially wasted a year. Great transition Marc! :handclap:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Go look in the "pointing the finger at Bergevin" thread, Whitesnake has got a link on a JCLajoie interview with Bergevin done on the day Lightning beat out the Red Wings, very interesting.....may answer some of your questions

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
First, I would change the coach because nothing that I'm going to list below will happen otherwise:

1) My Centre line would be Galchenyuk-Plekanec-Eller-DLR
2) That means on the wings I keep Patch, Gallagher, Weise, Prust. I give a serious look at Scherbak and Hudon (IMO Scherbak is the reason they traded Sekac). I patch the rest with DSP, Mitchell Flynn or some UFA. But clearly the wings are weak unless Scherbak is awsome :)

3) On Defense, I hope Petry resign here so Suban-Beaulieu-Petry-Pateryn-Emelin-Markov-Tinordi could do at the start of the season

4) In goal we have God.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
All I know is that we've just pissed away a Hart level season by our goaltender by having the most ineffective offence I've seen in my 20 something years of following the Habs.

Vanek, Bourque and Briere were not replaced adequetly and that's me being mild. I'm not saying these guys should still be here but not coming close to what they provided is a failure.

"Transition year" is for the birds. There's nothing to it.

Add Gionta to the list of 'once we get rid of these guys the offense will really take off' dream.

Careful what you wish for.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
Add Gionta to the list of 'once we get rid of these guys the offense will really take off' dream.

Careful what you wish for.

Always depends what you replace them with. PAP and bottom 6ers were clearly not the ideal choice.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Transition year is every year in the mind of Bergevin

TimGolbert

Oct 30, 2014
Edmonton
Terrible development.

Transition year yet we bring in guys like Gilbert, Gonchar, some 4th liner scrubs. Galchenyuk plays on the wing...Sekac chased out of town..Tinordi and Beaulieu not playing consistently. All so we can finish first in the reg season and get demolished in the playoffs.

Coach and GM not on the same page.

Sadly, I think the coach and GM are on the same page.

Em Ancien

Sexy 2nd Rounder
Mar 12, 2008
Mount Real Life
Some of you really should go chill out or something. The team just had a great year and ended up facing a team they could not beat in the regular season. They still managed to stay in it for 2 games. It blows, but they won't win all the games in the playoffs and they won't win the Cup simply because they had a great year. If this is as far as they go, it is unfortunate, but it is still a pretty good year.

I don't think anyone really assumed the offense would suddenly explode out of nowhere since it has been as lively as a graveyard from the start. MB sees the same thing and will try his best to build on what he has and try to keep the defense as effective as it was this season.

Just because the season isn't ending on a good note doesn't mean the team should pull out the sledgehammer and put holes in itself....

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Them calling it a transition year was a copout to encourage people to lower the bar.

DLR 33 games
Bournival 29 games
Thomas 18 games
Pateryn 17 games
Tinner 13 games
Ghetto 12 games
Dumont 3 games
Bowman 3 games

High profile rookie free agent traded away in a downgrade after 50 games.
Chucky got 10 games at C, then was shifted back to W because he went pointless in a game
Desharnais is still our #1C, when he is clearly unfit for the role.

How is this transition?

I agree. I have no idea what MB meant when he said the Habs were a transition team. I expect him to bring up the transition team thing again in his post season press conference so hopefully someone asks him what this transition really is because I don't see anything of the sort, other than Beaulieu and DLR cracking the lineup..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad