Are we heading towards another lockout?

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
What?

Under Gary Bettman the NHL has had three lockouts including one cancelled season.

How is this a Donald Fehr related issue?

Seriously? The guy leading the charge on the other side typically shares some blame in these types of situations, unless one party is being an unreasonable jackass. But like stated before, it's Fehr. He's known for being difficult to deal with in these situations. I guess it's just the popular opinion to hate on Bettman, even if the guy doesn't really deserve the blame.

In response to the question, yes, I believe there will be another lockout. I believe a big talking point (among other issues) will be the players desire to play in future Olympics. The NHL is not fond of how the Olympics effect them, and the players likely want a guaranteed clause that allows them to leave in the middle of the season to play without a contract breach. It has been a very real issue that has arisen as of late, and I think both sides want it to be resolved, but both have very different ideas of how to resolve it.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
We'll keep heading for lockouts so long as both sides don't have any genuine enthusiasm for avoiding one.

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
Seriously? The guy leading the charge on the other side typically shares some blame in these types of situations, unless one party is being an unreasonable jackass. But like stated before, it's Fehr. He's known for being difficult to deal with in these situations. I guess it's just the popular opinion to hate on Bettman, even if the guy doesn't really deserve the blame.

In response to the question, yes, I believe there will be another lockout. I believe a big talking point (among other issues) will be the players desire to play in future Olympics. The NHL is not fond of how the Olympics effect them, and the players likely want a guaranteed clause that allows them to leave in the middle of the season to play without a contract breach. It has been a very real issue that has arisen as of late, and I think both sides want it to be resolved, but both have very different ideas of how to resolve it.

He's considered difficult to deal with by the owners. Code for being he works very hard for those he represents, the players.
Like his methods or not he's considered by those he represents as one of, if not the best.

But the NHL has developed into the last league that is gate driven really. Hopefully the TV bubble won't burst before they get to get a new national TV deal in the states. But as long as there's not a monster TV deal to help there will be lockouts.

The fact that either side in the NBA would consider using their opt out after signing that huge TV deal and the cap going nuts just shows how much greed there is in the whole sports marketplace. And they have to try to get something done just to prevent it from maybe happening and looking too greedy.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Little early for this thread no?

Not if you look at some of these long term contracts and the salary for the 2020-21 season.

It's obvious that some agents think there will be a strike/lockout at the beginning of that season and that they had to minimize their client's possible loss of salary.

Examples:

Brad Marchand : $5M in 20-21 compared to $7.5M in 19-20 and $6.5M in 21-22.

Connor Murphy: From $4.4M to $3.2M to $4M.

Danny DeKeiser: From $5.5M to $4.5M to $5M.

Jaden Schwartz: From $5.75M to $4M.

Nathan MacKinnon: From $6.75M to $6.15M to $6.85M.

Mark Scheifele: From $6.75M to $5.5M to $6.75M.

Kyle Palmieri: From $5M to $4.25M.

Reilly Smith: From $5M to $3.5M to $4.5M.

Vincent Trocheck: From $5.25M to $3.5M to $6.25M.

Aaron Ekblad: From $9M to $6M to $9M.

Milan Lucic: From $6M to $4M to $5M.

Legitimate? How so?

List a few real items showing the beginning of some friction between players and management. They do not exist.

This thread is pure grandstanding / owner-bashing

See above...

BPD Habs Fan

Power of Positivity
Jul 2, 2014
Alexandria, Ontario
I think that there will be another lockout. Only way this doesn't happen is if they start negotiating now. I don't see that happening because I think both sides see it as any press is good press and this is a sure fire way to get the NHL in the news.

Personally what I would like to see is scrap the hard cap and guaranteed contracts. Add another team so the NHLPA gets some more jobs and go from there. Never going to happen but I can always dream.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad