Are we heading towards another lockout?

Passchendaele

Dec 11, 2006
I know there is still a few seasons left on the deal, but it does seems as though it's inevitable.

The amount of huge, 7-8 year contracts handed out lately is nuts. Players in their prime years are already set to be massively overpaid when they reach 35+ years old.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I feel like every CBA is just a 6-7 year reprieve and the league is perpetually heading towards a lockout.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel like every CBA is just a 6-7 year reprieve and the league is perpetually heading towards a lockout.
Yup. That's pretty much it. It's to be expected at this point.
Likely. Fehr said to "book it" IIRC

I was hoping after the last lockout that maybe he'd no longer be president of the PA by the time this CBA expires.

What year is it set to expire? After 19-20, with an option year or two? Or is it after 20-21?

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Those massive contracts do get scraped back in escrow, since the players make 50% of league revenues regardless of any individual contract.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
I know there is still a few seasons left on the deal, but it does seems as though it's inevitable.

The amount of huge, 7-8 year contracts handed out lately is nuts. Players in their prime years are already set to be massively overpaid when they reach 35+ years old.

That doesn't cause lockouts.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Those nutty contracts are all within the cap. There is nothing there to even hint at another lockout. It means nothing if some players are overpaid except that some others get paid less.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
We're always heading towards another the lockout, the only question is when. The contracts have very little if anything to do with it either.

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
Yes 100%. The owners were able to get a better deal for themselves and make more money because of it. Look at Jeremy Jacobs and the Bruins. He was the leader pushing for a lockout and not only did he get a better deal, but his long season ticket waitlist ensures the fallout from a lockout will be minimal for him. Most NHL fans came rushing back, hungry for their hockey fix, so why not do the same thing again?

Lockouts are great for business!!

buttman*

If I'm the players I wouldn't be too happy. If I'm McDavid I'd be kinda pissed the owners junior/NHL have been filling their pockets for years on my play while my salary is capped. Open market -- McDavid gets 10+ million.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
If I'm the players I wouldn't be too happy. If I'm McDavid I'd be kinda pissed the owners junior/NHL have been filling their pockets for years on my play while my salary is capped. Open market -- McDavid gets 10+ million.

I doubt you'll have any league scrapping their rookie pay-scales. Tweaking, sure.

Last edited:

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Yes and this one is more forsure than last lockout. Almost all long term deals signed now include a lockout protection clause in it. The players and agents know its coming.

RFAs is going to be a major, major sticking point

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I doubt you'll have any league scrapping their rookie pay-scales. Tweaking, sure.

Doubt you see that. Current players have no issue leaving the scraps for the rookies. I would think players during the next negotiations who are in ELC would want arbitration rights or something after their deals are up.

How many top rfas are still unsigned?

That would likely take precedence for the players over elc deals.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00