Are they going to put Booth on Waivers?

member 147413

They should go with Booth - Winnik - Clarkson as a 4th line and hope to trade Booth to someone looking for a 4th line winger. Maybe get a 3rd or 4th round pick.

That may be the dumbest, hardest working line in NHL history.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Hope so... disliked the signing from the start but hes even more useless than I thought. There are very few forwards on the Marlies that I wouldnt take on our 4th line before Booth.

TheSeed

Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Yea, he's a bum... 1 goal...

He plays under 10 minutes a game with non-offensive minded players in a energy role, and makes pennies compared to some other floaters on the Leafs. Booth is not one of the glaring issue with this team.

Hopefully non of you guys are Leaf scouts...

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto

He plays under 10 minutes a game with non-offensive minded players in a energy role, and makes pennies compared to some other floaters on the Leafs. Booth is not one of the glaring issue with this team.

Couldn't take the pay cut to be one

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

What are your thoughts on Richard Panik? 7 goals and averaging under 10 minutes a game (9:27).

While he isn't an issue, he's taking a spot from a player that could have been developed by the Marlies and played those minutes.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
What are your thoughts on Richard Panik? 7 goals and averaging under 10 minutes a game (9:27).

While he isn't an issue, he's taking a spot from a player that could have been developed by the Marlies and played those minutes.

Panik is 23, Booth is 30, I think that's a big difference right there.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010

Meaning what? Age doesn't have a large barring on production.

You're implying Booth's roster spot could be better used developing a Marlie (a young player), I'm saying that Panik is only 23, he IS a young player. He's still developing. So yes, age is a factor in what you're asking.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
You're implying Booth's roster spot could be better used developing a Marlie (a young player), I'm saying that Panik is only 23, he IS a young player. He's still developing. So yes, age is a factor in what you're asking.

Sorry, I'm not following here.

Are you saying that they would rather have vets in there?

Mar 26, 2010
Booth who? Have not even noticed him on the ice at all.

Waive him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I don't think he'll be waived. I don't think he gets more than a 4th, but he could still bring back a late round pick. He's a better 4th liner than quite a few teams in the playoffs have got. If we don't get anything, just keep him for the rest of the year.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Couldn't take the pay cut to be one

This is a good point. Low level scouts actually typically make terrible money and it's not a great lifestyle with all the travel. You would hope that MLSE would pay their scouts well above average, but they didn't become rich by paying more for things than they need to so I wouldn't count on it. I hope this is something Shanahan addresses - pay the scouts enough that every single scout in the NHL would jump to work for the Leafs in an instant.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Why on earth would they waive him? He makes pennies.

Hypothetical scenario would be to waive him / send down a few others to the AHL so that some Marlies can get prolonged, 35-game long audition with the big club

A) it helps with the tank

B) it helps with figuring out what you have down in the AHL

C) it's a nice way of rewarding some of the guys that have performed well for the Marlies all year.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
I don't think he'll be waived. I don't think he gets more than a 4th, but he could still bring back a late round pick. He's a better 4th liner than quite a few teams in the playoffs have got. If we don't get anything, just keep him for the rest of the year.

Trade him and here's why

a) hes a 4th liner here, really blocking other guys development
b) its about the principal- trade him for something don't lose him for nothing.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Trade him and here's why

He's a 4th line player - there's dime-a-dozen of him in free agency every July.

That's the principle - teams won't be giving up assets for someone like him.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
He's a 4th line player - there's dime-a-dozen of him in free agency every July.

That's the principle - teams won't be giving up assets for someone like him.

Well I agree they are littered in FA but teams get banged up down the strwtch and could use exttra bodies to make a playoff push, the kings would be the perfect example.

TheSeed

Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
Trade him and here's why

Who's development is he blocking on the 4th line?

The players we need to worry about developing are the top 6 players in the system who need more ice time. And usually, young top 6 players have to be molded to play defense. Think Kadri. The Leafs have enough defensive trouble in the fwd lines as it is.

We have the Booths/Ashtons/Smiths/Kozuns for that role. Players who've more or less hit their ceiling and are going to be the same player regardless of playing time. Booth isn't terrible in his own zone and plays hard(er) with and without the puck. And bottom line, I'd rather have guys like Booth getting knocked around than a prospect who isn't ready for the show yet.

To think that the Leafs prospects are not coming along as quickly because of a 4th liner is crazy.

Durkin67

The David Booth experiment has failed, he has 1 goal this season. It seems obvious that the team isn't going to make the playoffs so wouldn't you rather see a Marlies prospect in his roster spot?

Which Marlies player do you like the least? If I'm with the Marlies, I want to stay out and try and win something at the AHL level as opposed to being subjected to the Leafs gong show.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Well I agree they are littered in FA but teams get banged up down the strwtch and could use exttra bodies to make a playoff push, the kings would be the perfect example.

You make a good point about depth & extra bodies.

You don't make a good example using the Kings though - they have some really nice pieces playing in Manchester right now, including the AHL's top scorer. Guys that would be given the test over some veteran 30-something struggling to stay relevant

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Strange seeing so many people getting frustrated / angry in this thread about Booth.

It was a low-risk / high-reward possibility type of move, similar to what Mason Raymond was last year.

And it didn't work out. So what? They didn't pay him much, and he isn't signed for long term.

These are the sorts of moves Leafs management need to be trying more of, rather than constantly going for high-risk / low-reward types that have hurt this team over the past few years.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad