Are these active players HoF worthy now?

Are these active players HoF worthy now?

• Total voters

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Trout: absolutely: 80+ WAR which puts him in the same ballpark as other surefire hall of famers like Chipper Jones and George Brett, 3x MVP. He could retire tomorrow and get in on the first ballot

Verlander: Same deal. 3x Cy Young winner, rare pitcher to win MVP, triple crown. No argument needed

Kershaw: Arguably the greatest regular season pitcher of his generation. Absolutely

Grenkie: I'd argue yes. Remarkably consistent pitcher, should have two Cy Youngs but Jake Arrieta decided to go sicko mode towards the end of 2015. Probably the most underrated pitcher of his generation because it always felt like his highs were upstaged by somebody else.

Scherzer: 3 time Cy Young winner and one in an vanishingly small class to do it in both leagues. In the same class as Verlander and Kershaw for greatness. Easy yes

Mookie: I voted yes because while i think he would fall short if he were to be on the ballot today, he's shown zero signs of slowing down and will easily accrue a couple more great years worth of WAR to ascend him to easy slam dunk first ballot candidate.

Votto: Yes but i think he waits a while

Goldschmidt: Also yes but i think he waits. Very comparable body of work to Todd Helton, if not better because of the MVP and people think the former is a HOFer so by that logic, Goldy is in.

Longoria: Nope. It's closer than people think but him falling off a steep cliff after the Rays traded him doomed him. What was a guy averaging 5 WAR in Tampa became a guy who couldn't even hit 3 WAR in a season after. If he averages 3 WAR the rest of the way he gets to 70 and probably has a legit shot. Damn shame because earlier in his career he definitely looked like he was on that trajectory .

Freeman: Same deal as Mookie. As of now? no, but he probably has no problem getting the last couple of bullet points on his resume to get him there

Manny: As of now, no but history is very much on his side give he got to 50 WAR before turning 30. The only players who got 50 fWAR before their age 30 season and didn't make the HOF are steroid guys, gambling guys, Andruw Jones (who will get in eventually with the pace his HOF voting has been going), and Sherry Magee. (deadball jabroni) In other words, pretty much everyone gets in with that type of pace.

Arenado: Needs more. Luckily Nolan has his great defensive resume + the fact he's actually worth a f*** at the plate and he hasn't shown signs of decline so he's on track.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Trout: absolutely: 80+ WAR which puts him in the same ballpark as other surefire hall of famers like Chipper Jones and George Brett, 3x MVP. He could retire tomorrow and get in on the first ballot

Verlander: Same deal. 3x Cy Young winner, rare pitcher to win MVP, triple crown. No argument needed

Kershaw: Arguably the greatest regular season pitcher of his generation. Absolutely

Grenkie: I'd argue yes. Remarkably consistent pitcher, should have two Cy Youngs but Jake Arrieta decided to go sicko mode towards the end of 2015. Probably the most underrated pitcher of his generation because it always felt like his highs were upstaged by somebody else.

Scherzer: 3 time Cy Young winner and one in an vanishingly small class to do it in both leagues. In the same class as Verlander and Kershaw for greatness. Easy yes

Mookie: I voted yes because while i think he would fall short if he were to be on the ballot today, he's shown zero signs of slowing down and will easily accrue a couple more great years worth of WAR to ascend him to easy slam dunk first ballot candidate.

Goldschmidt: Also yes but i think he waits. Very comparable body of work to Todd Helton, if not better because of the MVP and people think the former is a HOFer so by that logic, Goldy is in.

Longoria: Nope. It's closer than people think but him falling off a steep cliff after the Rays traded him doomed him. What was a guy averaging 5 WAR in Tampa became a guy who couldn't even hit 3 WAR in a season after. If he averages 3 WAR the rest of the way he gets to 70 and probably has a legit shot. Damn shame because earlier in his career he definitely looked like he was on that trajectory .

Freeman: Same deal as Mookie. As of now? no, but he probably has no problem getting the last couple of bullet points on his resume to get him there

Manny: As of now, no but history is very much on his side give he got to 50 WAR before turning 30. The only players who got 50 fWAR before their age 30 season and didn't make the HOF are steroid guys, gambling guys, Andruw Jones (who will get in eventually with the pace his HOF voting has been going), and Sherry Magee. (deadball jabroni) In other words, pretty much everyone gets in with that type of pace.

Arenado: Needs more. Luckily Nolan has his great defensive resume + the fact he's actually worth a f*** at the plate and he hasn't shown signs of decline so he's on track.
I basically agree with this word for word.

The bottom four guys on the list are all pretty close:

I don't think Longoria has enough left in the tank, and I'd rather have guys like Ken Boyer and Buddy Bell and Graig Nettles, but he's pretty close to the in/out line.

Freeman and Machado are also pretty close and would not make it if they retired today, but they only need one or two decent (not even great) years to push over the line and I see them getting that

Arenado is also very close, but just a little bit behind the others. I think he needs two to three decent years (or honestly just one great year), but there is a universe where he falls short now. I think he gets there.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019

agree on all but this one: votto

freeman after the next 2 seasons will eclipse most of what votto's already done.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Are you seriously asking if 3x MVP, 4x MVP runner-up, Mike Trout, is worthy of being in the Hall of Fame?

Bryce Harper would've been a much better option to include in the poll

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Trout, Verlander, and Kershaw absolutely.

The rest, no (with a couple super close).
Max Scherzer isn't Hall of Fame worthy as of now?

3x Cy Young winner. 3x leader in K's. 5x leader in WHIP, 11th all-time in K's

The only reason he wouldn't be inducted is if the voters gave him the Schilling treatment

Say Hey Kid

Whole cell block was dancing to the jailhouse rock
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
^
73.Luke Appling+ (20)77.510254R
Zack Greinke (20, 39)77.56003389.1R
75.Robin Yount+ (20)77.412249R
76.Ozzie Smith+ (19)76.910778B
77.Bobby Wallace+ (25)76.49631402.0R
78.Jim McCormick (10)76.221044275.2R
79.Paul Molitor+ (21)75.712167R
80.Old Hoss Radbourn+ (12)75.426544527.1R
81.Sam Crawford+ (19)75.310625L
Bill Dahlen (21)75.310438R
83.Johnny Bench+ (17)75.18674R
Lou Whitaker (19)75.19967L
85.Max Scherzer (16, 38)75.05292834.2R
86.Paul Waner+ (20)74.810767L
87.Reggie Jackson+ (21)73.911418L
88.Frank Thomas+ (19)73.810075R
89.Pud Galvin+ (15)73.427886003.1R
90.Jim Thome+ (22)73.110313L
91.Larry Walker+ (17)72.78030L
92.Harry Heilmann+ (17)72.28972R
93.Rafael Palmeiro (20)71.912046L
94.Frankie Frisch+ (19)71.810101B
95.Derek Jeter+ (20)71.312602R
96.Bobby Grich (17)71.18220R
97.Ted Lyons+ (21)70.617294161.0B
Johnny Mize+ (15)70.67372L
Alan Trammell+ (20)70.69376R
100.Barry Larkin+ (19)70.59057R
In other words, there should only be 72 players in the HoF and Robin Yount, Ozzie Smith, Paul Molitor, Johnny Bench, all other catchers, and all the rest I listed are not HoFers.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Yes for sure:

Trout, Verlander, Kershaw, Scherzer, Votto, Arenado

Too Soon to say:

Betts

Maybe (could see their careers looked upon more favorably as time goes on a la Helton/Mussina):

Goldschmidt, Greinke

No:

Freeman, Machado, Longoria

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Betts is a 64.5 WAR player through his age 30 season, so I think he'd get elected if he were to retire today

Machado's play would have to nosedive in the 2nd half of his career to not get inducted. He began his career at 19, and is a 54.9 WAR player through his age 30 season. To put that in perspective, Beltre was a 44.9 WAR player through his age 30 season despite playing in 98 more games than Machado

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad