ARE there too many teams in the league?

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Is/are there too many teams in the league? Should it be divided in two by now if they keep creating teams to create revenue?

With 32 teams, if you have an average chance of about 3% now of winning the cup in any given year and your adult life happens to be 60 years, you have over a 15% chance of never seeing your team win the cup once in that time. 60 years is an awful long time.

This would assume all teams are about the same avg quality over that amount of time.

Last edited:

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
Is there too many teams in the league? Should it be divided in two by now if they keep creating teams to create revenue?

With 32 teams, if you have an average chance of about 3% now of winning the cup in any given year and your adult life happens to be 60 years, you have over a 15% chance of never seeing your team win the cup once in that time. 60 years is an awful long time.

This would assume all teams are about the same avg quality over that amount of time.
I get your point, but I see it as it makes the cup more special, the fact that you could go your whole life without seeing one is part of the fandom experience. Some will have it better than others, such is life.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I seen a poster on HF the other day mentioning not to be surprised if there's another 10+ teams in the next 10+ years.

Mainly, due to the new expansion process and costs of teams. People have A LOT of money. Who doesnt want to own a sports team? Pony up 600 million, and you can have one.

Personally, I'd prefer 30 teams. But now that it's even again with 32 that's great.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think there are, but I'm not gonna tell anybody they shouldn't have a team, so I accept it.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I seen a poster on HF the other day mentioning not to be surprised if there's another 10+ teams in the next 10+ years.

Mainly, due to the new expansion process and costs of teams. People have A LOT of money. Who doesnt want to own a sports team? Pony up 600 million, and you can have one.

Personally, I'd prefer 30 teams. But now that it's even again with 32 that's great.

Bettman just stated they are not looking to add any more teams.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The league needs to add one more team:
20181203_132856.jpg

BRING BACK MY WHALERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012

You also need to build the arena, and if your team isn't profitable you will keep on losing money, I am sure those people have better alternatives to put their money on. There aren't many more market that can financially support a team in the long run.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
You also need to build the arena, and if your team isn't profitable you will keep on losing money, I am sure those people have better alternatives to put their money on. There aren't many more market that can financially support a team in the long run.
Exactly. So much work goes into it. I don't really see that many teams coming in. Maybe Arizona moves to Houston but that's about it?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010

Uh... There definitely aren't dozens of billionaires lining up to buy a hockey team. First off, 600M is a ton of money. Secondly, there's the arena situation - you're probably looking at another 600M at least for that. And that money is just gone. You're not getting it back unless you sell the team, would be pretty pointless after going through all that trouble.

Owning a sports team typically isn't a great business decision either, especially not a hockey team that would likely be a lesser-known team for a while. Most people with the kind of money to afford the above... are business people. I'd argue that many of the current owners are in it thanks to their passion for hockey, not for the business potential. The exceptions are teams like Toronto, obviously.

I'd be absolutely shocked if there's another team added by 2030. A lot can change, so who knows, but I just don't see it happening.

coolboarder

Mar 4, 2010
Maryland
If it was 6-team league, players would have a hard time cracking the line-up and you would not know if there's Gretzky or any players like that be able to make the team due to how they played in Original Six era with better defence and goaltenders. You need toughness to survive in that era. Gretzky didn't have that toughness and was able to exploit the pylons by weaker defenceman and lower quality goaltenders. 21-teams league were considered watered down talents in term of defence and goaltender. If you ask me if it's watered down, I would say, yes. Most teams have only one line and scrubs on the rest and very few good teams have two or three good lines and defensemen. The quality of players has gotten much better due to better training than they did back then.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
No, compared to the other major North American sports nhl has by far the most parity. I don’t get why this arguement gets made so much in hockey.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad