ARE there too many teams in the league?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Do you realize that if that team didn't exist in Florida (or teams in any other city that you hate) your ticket would still cost $700? Now what? :dunno:

And who is "we?"

Do you realize that you are wrong? I am a capitalist and I completely understand the supply and demand curve, but, I understand it to a deeper level.

btw.... what is with your use of the word hate? That is inflammatory and is a weak effort to divide. I do not forsake any hockey fan and would abhor any hard core fan losing their team.

So the first thing that needs to be determined here before we go forward is for you to satisfactorily explain this.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
I don’t want anymore teams but could live with up to 38, once you get to or over 40 teams it just starts to seem ridiculous.

Agreed with the OP that each team decreases your chance of seeing your team win a championship.

Statistically, every team that gets added is an extra year you have to wait for a championship. (Obviously this isn’t how reality works but theoretically if there are 20 teams your team will win a championship every 20 years on average but if there are 40 your team will only win one every 40).

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Do you realize that you are wrong? I am a capitalist and I completely understand the supply and demand curve, but, I understand it to a deeper level.

btw.... what is with your use of the word hate? That is inflammatory and is a weak effort to divide. I do not forsake any hockey fan and would abhor any hard core fan losing their team.

So the first thing that needs to be determined here before we go forward is for you to satisfactorily explain this.

Would your tix price go down if certain teams moved or folded?

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I understand it sounds tautological. I think the game would be better with a lot of current first line talent playing third line roles. There's a whole lot of meh in the league and a lot of boring games.

As a Ducks fan, I'd hate to see them go, but if the league was contracting and the product was ultimately better I'd make peace with them being one of the teams that disappeared.

Having weaker lineups is actually what contributes to more scoring, not less.

You'd think what your saying makes sense but first liners on the third line makes for less exciting hockey as the game grinds to a choppy halt

Talent discrepancy leads to increased scoring

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Then why not put Detroit with Columbus and Pittsburgh? Boston is closer to Montreal, Ottawa, and Toronto than they are Columbus too.

No reason that can't happen as well. My aim was to keep the Leafs/Red Wings rivalry alive. Lots of Wings fans in Southern Ontario.

Kegsey

Defense be scared, Hertl coming.
Oct 20, 2011
Canada
I don't think so, but eventually we may need to have almost two separate leagues that play more inside their division and league during regular season sort of like the MLB to reduce travel.

Reactions: BlackDogg

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yes.

Think of it this way: if the draft and salary cap work perfectly the way it's intended and designed to do then each team should win the cup once every 31/32 years.

That's crazy.

Jets2point0

Oct 14, 2017
Is/are there too many teams in the league? Should it be divided in two by now if they keep creating teams to create revenue?

With 32 teams, if you have an average chance of about 3% now of winning the cup in any given year and your adult life happens to be 60 years, you have over a 15% chance of never seeing your team win the cup once in that time. 60 years is an awful long time.

This would assume all teams are about the same avg quality over that amount of time.

Why did you caps ARE?

sexydonut

May 12, 2009

LOL @ your capitalism claim. True capitalism is represented by hairdressers and tamale shacks--perfect competition, no impediments to competitors, and low startup costs.

The NHL and other major leagues are essentially cartels--Just like the banks that rig your ATM fees and the cell phone companies that ding you for roaming.

The leagues intentionally keep the supply of franchises lower than the actual demand. They may complain about a few weak sisters, but if the league were unhealthy, why are franchises expensive, and why have their values gone up so much?

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Vancouver
Seattle
Calgary
Edmonton

San Jose
LA
Anaheim
Vegas

Winnipeg
Colorado
Arizona
Minnesota

Chicago
St. Louis
Nashville
Dallas

Detroit
Toronto
Ottawa
Montreal

Columbus
Pittsburgh
Buffalo
Boston

Philadelphia
New Jersey
NYI
NYR

Washington
Carolina
Tampa Bay
Florida

I like this. Cuts down on travel costs and massively increases rivalries if there are more games within your own division.

Swap Dallas and Minnesota. My team, the Preds would love to play the Wild more often! Their fans already hate the Wild, the Blues fans and especially Chicago fans. It would rank with the Flyers/Devils/ NYI and NYR division for rivalry!

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
LOL @ your capitalism claim. True capitalism is represented by hairdressers and tamale shacks--perfect competition, no impediments to competitors, and low startup costs.

The NHL and other major leagues are essentially cartels--Just like the banks that rig your ATM fees and the cell phone companies that ding you for roaming.

The leagues intentionally keep the supply of franchises lower than the actual demand. They may complain about a few weak sisters, but if the league were unhealthy, why are franchises expensive, and why have their values gone up so much?

What does any of this have to do with me being a capitalist? LOL

You're echoing what I've been saying for decades. Thanks.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
We have zero desire in "growing the game". It results in us true hard core fans being forsaken for the benefit of more casual fans.

We want to watch the best hockey we can.

We don't want to pay $700 for a ticket just so some dude in Florida can get 2 free tickets, 2 free beer and free parking if he buys a Papa John's large pizza.

You've got that all wrong!!!!!! It's a medium pizza.

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Too many players, drop it to 3 lines

4th liners are just AHL cap filler

It's like paying $200+ to watch your favourite band and every 4th song the crappy opening act comes out for an encore
I wasn’t aware 4th liners played 15 minutes a night?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I wasn’t aware 4th liners played 15 minutes a night?
Depends on the team, the Habs roll 4 lines but typically no PP time for the 4th line so they are usually in the 12 min range. Going to guess the Oilers 4th line doesn't break a sweat with McJesus around 25, hopefully we see more of that

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad