Are There Still Anti-Dundon Holdouts?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Baller move today, slapping down at some preconceptions and prejudices

It won't change the mind of the usual idiot brigade, but it gives Canes fans a whole lot more reason to go "all in" in terms of financial and emotional investments that might have still been reluctant after 10 years of disappointment from previous ownership.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
I have moved from being skeptical towards Dundon to being apathetic. Still not ready to jump on the bandwagon.

ookhaab

Jun 8, 2016
Oh man I remember the panicking when Dundon came, other fanbases said that Dundon will run the team to the ground and move it to Houston.

Here we are a year later, made it to f***ing ECF when the majority didnt even expect us to make playoffs.

Arguably the best and hands down the most entertaining management in the league. :towel:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Oh man I remember the panicking when Dundon came, other fanbases said that Dundon will run the team to the ground and move it to Houston.

Here we are a year later, made it to ****ing ECF when the majority didnt even expect us to make playoffs.

Arguably the best and hands down the most entertaining management in the league. :towel:
In 24 months we've gone from a terrible ownership situation where Quebecor media are openly saying the team will be in QC within a calendar year to a team run by a billionaire who is openly dunking on that same media group when we easily match a hostile offer sheet to our best player. All of this only months after taking the criticism by many of the more prominent hockey media personalities in Canada and shoving it in their face with the Bunch of Jerks brand.

Yeah, things couldn't have gone much better for us the last couple years.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I've liked most of the moves, but there are a few I've disliked and been pretty clear. They are still learning some things about this league and I think they will refine and improve their methods (RFA negotiations before July 1, for instance.)

Getting eliminated from the playoffs in part by a player I was advocating picking up at the deadline for a pick? That stung.

Even with a couple of things I disagree with, things have been very good on balance.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I've liked most of the moves, but there are a few I've disliked and been pretty clear. They are still learning some things about this league and I think they will refine and improve their methods (RFA negotiations before July 1, for instance.)

Getting eliminated from the playoffs in part by a player I was advocating picking up at the deadline for a pick? That stung.

Even with a couple of things I disagree with, things have been very good on balance.
What player eliminated the Canes?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Some things he's done I wish I could stop him from doing, like getting involved with the AAF only to fold it 2 months later or making those "Not drafting a d-man in the first" comments. I wasn't fully on-board with firing Francis and hiring Rod as coach but sometimes that just happens, and perhaps it was better to do it early than later.

However, all criticism aside the guy shows that he cares about the well-being of the franchise. Early on he wanted the players to have things that other players have, like good nutrition and a place to warm-up in the tunnel. He wanted the fans more involved during games such as upgrading everyones seat one night to inviting fans to greet the team in the tunnel as they take the ice. He flew some lucky fans out to Vegas this year. He's embraced having Governor Cooper as a fan. He was there in the locker room after big wins, was present for the playoff games and the game against NJ where they clinched for the first time in 10 years. He has taken the team out for dinner and TopGolf outings. He showed Svechnikov appreciation after his first NHL goal by presenting him a plaque with the game puck. He was on board with things like Hamilton the Pig being in the tunnel where the players come out, the "Bunch of Jerks" movement, the storm surge, and Whalers night. All things PK never did or would have done.

He's much better than Michael Jordan, who only cares about his fanboys defending his honor on social media as the "GOAT" while buying his overpriced merchandise, and hanging with his yes men. He's better than Jerry Richardson ever was, perhaps minus bringing an NFL franchise to Charlotte. Not sure yet what to think of David Tepper but NFL owners typically are not involved in the fan-side of things.

He isn't perfect, but considering where we were at this time 3-4 years ago this franchise is in a much better state now than it was then.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I don't mind admitting I am still skeptical.

Among the reasons:
  • many believe he paid for the arena upgrades—even though it was reported that it was the Centennial Authority;
  • the unverified comments about losing $10-$15M per year;
  • the "three year opt out," which he publicly stated he put in all his purchases even though he hadn't purchased anything—he sold a company and started Top Golf, but if I understand correctly the Canes were the first existing entity he purchased, the AAF was the next;
  • The BIGGEST—my spouse was in the military. TD's former company paid an eight-figure fine for taking advantage of military personnel while TD was still the "hands-on" CEO. In my book if you take advantage of the elderly, terminally ill, or service people you have earned skepticism even if your team wins games.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
they literally wrote up a contract that would test him as being cheap and he laughed and wrote the check. of all the high profile rfa situations, we fixed ours first and we did it directly because of dundon's perception of being cheap. one day this will rank up there with "did you know the carolina hurricanes once signed sergei fedorov?" in terms of relevance.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

Here we are a year later, made it to ****ing ECF when the majority didnt even expect us to make playoffs.

But but but, Houston is really really close to Dallas. I mean really really close. It makes all kinds of sense. They may have to change conferences and Dundon would take a backseat to the Rockets owner and would have a pay a large relocation fee but, Houston is really close to Dallas. It makes sense!

Did I mention that Houston is really close to Dallas?

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad