Are there any upcoming prospects that will burn the league like Lemieux or Gretzky

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Im not saying mcdavid or crosby etc are/will be as good but people need to understand that 1000 points in todays nhl is alot more impressive than 1000 points 15-30 years ago.

I think the standard for being on the level of the greats is pretty well established - are you consistently ~15% better than the tier 2 elite players in the league? It becomes tougher if two top tier greats come along in close succession, but for a Gretzky/Lemieux talent, you should stand out compared to other top talent in the league.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
3 Stanley Cups
2 Olympic Golds
6 Gold Medals at International competitions

Named top player in both the NHL Playoffs and Olympics.
Captain of 3 Cup winners
Been leader and / or best player at every Championship he's won

Name me one player, just one, with a resume as impressive as that

Yep, he's played on some really great teams.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
3 Stanley Cups
2 Olympic Golds

Captain of 3 Cup winners

You mean like Crosby? One less cup but far more trophies.

2× Art Ross Trophy
3× Lester B. Pearson Award/Ted Lindsay Award
2× Hart Memorial Trophy
2× Mark Messier Leadership Award
1x Maurice "Rocket" Richard Trophy
1x Conn Smythe Trophy

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
3 Stanley Cups
2 Olympic Golds

Captain of 3 Cup winners

None of those are individual awards....

a587b

May 23, 2016
Conn Smythe is an individual award.

Selke is an individual award.

Career average of .87 points per game in both the regular season and the playoffs, in addition to being an excellent defensive player. Yet people are suggesting he's not elite? Not quite an elite offensive player but all-around he is.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Career average of .87 points per game in both the regular season and the playoffs, in addition to being an excellent defensive player. Yet people are suggesting he's not elite? Not quite an elite offensive player but all-around he is.

This is a thread asking if there is another Mario or Gretzky on the horizon. Toews is not remotely close to that class. Toews is in the class of... If he has a strong finish to his career will he be a top 100 player all-time? Not the greatest of all-time. Toews is a fine player and has had great success. He isn't to be discussed among the best ever. Kopitar, Bergeron etc... Are also not remotely close to the best ever.

a587b

May 23, 2016
This is a thread asking if there is another Mario or Gretzky on the horizon. Toews is not remotely close to that class. Toews is in the class of... If he has a strong finish to his career will he be a top 100 player all-time? Not the greatest of all-time. Toews is a fine player and has had great success. He isn't to be discussed among the best ever. Kopitar, Bergeron etc... Are also not remotely close to the best ever.

OP never put in him that class. Neither would I. OP rates him a tier below Crosby and Ovi, two tiers below Gretzky and Lemieux, which seems quite fair. But then it was suggested that he wasn't even elite, and that's going too far.

tazzy19

Mar 27, 2008
Nobody's touching Gretzky. In '87, guy would put up 183 points, second closest guy in the league would be his linemate with 108. Patrick Kane just put up 106. Scoring was higher then, but not by anything close to the absurd margins that Gretzky held over his competition. He was an outlier we will not see matched.

Look at other sports and try to find anyone who statistically separates himself from all of his peers, intra- or intergenerational, like Gretzky does, and you can't. He was just not playing the same game as anyone else, at least during his prime.
Exactly right. Here is some raw footage of the Oilers playing the Redwings in 1987. Watch Gretzky. It's not just the 4 or 5 points he scores, it's the way he plays. He's doing things no one else on the ice is doing, skating in areas no one else is, and the puck just sort of follows him wherever he goes. It's surreal to watch. The play he makes around the 7:00 minute mark is beyond the imagination of any other player (somehow turning a 1 on 4 into a 3 on 1), and the goal he scores soon after is also an example of him seeing into the future (from the moment before he jumped off the bench)....

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
3 Stanley Cups
2 Olympic Golds

Captain of 3 Cup winners

14 of the 17 things you named there were team awards... in individual awards, a player like Bergeron has just as much.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
You need to read more threads on here, there is someone like that and his name is Auston Mathews.

Mathews isn't near the level of Crosby,McDavid who inturn are a tier below the likes of Gretzky and Lemieux.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Gretzky and Lemieux were once in a lifetime players, so I don't see any player coming close to what either of these guys accomplished, especially statistically.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
The closest thing we have to Gretzky and Lemieux is Crosby and Ovechkin. Crosby was flat out dominant and would probably have stayed far more ahead of the competition if he wasnt head hunted so much . And what Ovechkin has been accomplishing in this day and age is remarkable .

Im not sold on Mcdavid i think he will be the best player in the league for the next 10+ years but i dont think he will dominate the league like Crosby did when he first came in . Crosby is a generational talent and so is Ovy.

Crosby has never been under a ppg and is going to hit 1000 points by 30. Which is an impressive feat. And if Ovy hits even 700 goals in this day and age is quite the accomplishment as well. Unbelievable players . They are in my opinion just as good as Gretzky and Lemieux .

P.S - I was always a Lemieux fan over Gretzky. If not for his back problems , injury and health concerns i think Lemieux would have broken every Gretzky record out there . He had 690 goals in 900 games .

TheBaxMan*

Jan 7, 2012
Ottawa
It won't happen. Gretz/Lemieux were like 100m sprinters who could run it in sub-10. They raced against guys who could only run it in 16 seconds.

Now everyone can run it sub-11 and many sub-10, so good luck trying to "burn" guys in the 100m when the competition can run it just milliseconds slower (as opposed to multiple seconds).

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yeah so Ive been trying to categorize the type of offensive players that we have in the league atm and I realized that we have no Lemieuxs or Gretzkys.

They have often been labeled as the generational type so where do players like Ovechkin and Crosby or Kain, Taveres and Toews fall in?

So lets categorize generational players in type 1 through 3 to help us differentiate.

Type 1: Players who from the get go have obliterated every offensive record from peewee to the NHL or have been close to this. These players are often regarded as phenomenons, players of exceptional talent, over and beyond everyone else. Lemieux and Gretzky come to mind.

Type 2: Players who fall a few notches under type 1 who dont dominate but are regarded as Elite players +. Ovechkin and Crosby fall into this category I think....

Type 3: Players that generally fall below type 2 and are regarded as elite players like Toews, Stamkos, Kain and Tavares.

This is just some ramblings of my own that Ive done so you all are welcome to improve on it.

As for the post title...is there any upcoming talent that you have seen that you feel might come close to greats like Lemieux or Gretzky ?

No.. added the dots cause NO is not a long enough answer--so I needed to add the dots

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
3 Stanley Cups
2 Olympic Golds

Captain of 3 Cup winners

Toews is not even a top 5 C in the NHL. Come on man.

a587b

May 23, 2016
It won't happen. Gretz/Lemieux were like 100m sprinters who could run it in sub-10. They raced against guys who could only run it in 16 seconds.

Now everyone can run it sub-11 and many sub-10, so good luck trying to "burn" guys in the 100m when the competition can run it just milliseconds slower (as opposed to multiple seconds).

So, at what point did this transition from weak competition to strong competition occur, in your opinion? And did you actually watch Gretzky and Lemieux play during their prime years? Or are you too young?

Jaromir Jagr won FIVE scoring titles. In 2005-06, at age 36 he still finished second in both goals and points, only two points behind Joe Thornton and 17 points ahead of third-placed Ovechkin. Jagr takes a back seat to no one as an offensive forward-- except Gretzky and Lemieux. And it's not even close. In 2000-01 Jagr won his final scoring title. That was also the year when 35-year-old Lemieux came out of his 3.5-year retirement in midseason, with the dead-puck era fully entrenched, and scored 76 points in 43 games, easily outpacing Jagr on a per-game basis and also outscoring Jagr in the playoffs.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Here is a more "elite" player than vastly over-rated Toews using some people's criteria...which would put him in as one of best players to play during his time...but history says otherwise.

4x Stanley Cup champion (1986, 1995, 1996, 2000)
Conn Smythe Trophy winner (1995)
9th all-time in Stanley Cup playoff goals with 80
Canada Cup Champion (1987)

:popcorn:

TheBaxMan*

Jan 7, 2012
Ottawa
So, at what point did this transition from weak competition to strong competition occur, in your opinion? And did you actually watch Gretzky and Lemieux play during their prime years? Or are you too young?

Jaromir Jagr won FIVE scoring titles. In 2005-06, at age 36 he still finished second in both goals and points, only two points behind Joe Thornton and 17 points ahead of third-placed Ovechkin. Jagr takes a back seat to no one as an offensive forward-- except Gretzky and Lemieux. And it's not even close. In 2000-01 Jagr won his final scoring title. That was also the year when 35-year-old Lemieux came out of his 3.5-year retirement in midseason, with the dead-puck era fully entrenched, and scored 76 points in 43 games, easily outpacing Jagr on a per-game basis and also outscoring Jagr in the playoffs.

It happened over time.

I'm tired of hearing the age argument.. It's not like all players at an old age automatically become bad. Most great players can play well into their later years. Think of it, how many great players suck at a later age? A majority of them have great seasons in their mid 30s. People try so hard to discredit the talent today by bringing up how an "old" X or Y scored so many points. So what if Jagr was 36 or if Lemieux was 35. They were still great players. I've even seen posts saying that Jagr was at his best in 2006. Crosby will most likely be capable of putting up 85-90+ pts at age 36. Ovechkin could still be a goal scoring machine at age 36. Who cares!

You can fantasize about Lemieux's 76pts in 43 games all you want, but Jagr scored 77pts in his final 43 games of the same season. Last time I checked, 77 was greater than 76. Done with less PP goals and less ice time too. And from the time Lemieux returned, Jagr had a higher points/game rate by a good margin (1.87 to 1.77) :). So how are you gonna come and make it seem like "old" Lemieux was so much better?

It's possible the gap between them closed, yes most likely due to age. But it is also possible that a fully healthy, younger, "prime" Lemieux wouldn't be as dominant as you think.

I don't like it when people come in and say "Lemieux was old and had no back!!", because it implies that the injuries severely hindered Lemieux.. No they didn't. There is no way that a player can be so injured but still put up 1.77 pts a game :laugh::laugh:. Nobody can be that good. Sure Lemieux was not 100%, but it's definitely overplayed. He was operating somewhere in the 90% range during his 2001 season. It's like claiming Usain Bolt had a broken right leg and a busted torn left ACL at the 2016 Olympics. Not believable when you actually look at what he accomplished.

In the end, Jagr really outpaced Lemieux (over a 43 game stretch), and a very good, arguably best Jagr lost the Art Ross to Joe Thornton :(

It's fine though. The posters you have of Lemieux and Gretzky on your wall will always be there.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Type 2: Players who fall a few notches under type 1 who dont dominate but are regarded as Elite players +. Ovechkin and Crosby fall into this category I think....

This "domination" you speak of was a product of a more open era where high-end skill was allowed to shine and the vast majority of star players were in terrible shape without lifetimes of regimented skill development. Add in goaltenders who are pretty much impossible to beat without a second, third chance and you've now got yourself a league that does not reward skill the same way.

You will never see it again. You could re-create Mario, Jagr, Gretzky, Orr, or Hasek in their prime and while they may or may not outscore the likes of Crosby, McDavid and co, it would be nowhere to the same extent they dominated history. That's not the top end getting worse, but rather selective thinning of a larger, higher-end world-wide talent pool.

Further, with the level of pressure defense played in today's era, 90s trap and clutch/grab hockey looks almost wide open in comparison. Almost no one can even get a moment to hold the puck and be a star. And the few that can, are too busy covering on pinches and backchecking rather than crashing the net - because that's what it takes to win in a league of utmost parity.

A high scoring team built around sizzle, like a certain 1980s dynasty, might not even make the playoffs without completely adapting their style of play, and the "dominance" of certain individuals would trend down.

We're talking about 30 years of progress. Would great players adapt? Yes. Does that mean that they would necessarily create a gap with the likes of Kane, Benn, Crosby? It's an optimistic viewpoint rooted in nostalgia. The middle class now is not the middle class then.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad