Are the Toronto Maple Leafs Stanley Cup contenders?

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I'd be more worried if they had the easiest schedule...something about Leafs and bottom feeders.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Leafs are lucky they don't have the easiest schedule.

They do better against good teams.

Reactions: Mez

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There's something really odd with the fact that 3 of the Top5, 4 of the Top-9 and 6 of the Top-14 are playing in the same division.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
No, no we are not. We don't have the defensive or goaltending depth to be considered contenders.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They’ve taken 28.5 shots per game and given up 30. Might want to check your facts.
That’s a pretty modest difference.
We can probably both agree that the original poster was wrong or engaging in hyperbole when he said everyone outshoots the Canucks. Not that I expect that particular poster to ever admit his mistake as I’ve seen in other threads.
You were both wrong, yet I have yet to see you admit your mistake.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Shots fired :laugh:

Yeah, and he still wins multiple Rockets missing all these games you speak of.
Whether he wins Rockets or not despite missing games wasn't the point I was trying to make.

I wasn't taking a shot at Matthews at all when I mentioned that he normally misses 8-12 games with injuries.

The point I was trying to make is that Matthews has been carrying the Maple Leafs at various times this season. He has been the only reason that the Maple Leafs have gotten points in many games this season.

If he ends up missing 8-12 games due to injuries like he normally has done throughout his career, will the Maple Leafs be able to survive his absence?

Or would a possible Matthews injury put the Maple Leafs into a complete and total tail-spin?

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
As a Leaf fan, I think this is pretty much spot on.
Now I know why don't dont post often lmao
360_F_270180878_mpY6tOMJ5BegkXytgSPCTebZ7wf9SH25.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
The Leafs do have some concerns on defense, but there is no way if their forwards play up to their ability that you can't take this team as a serious contender. Neither Matthews or Marner have ever taken over a series. Nylander came close. But can you imagine if these guys did? That could be dangerous for the opposition. Throw in some sandpaper like Bertuzzi and Domi and even Reaves if they play him. I think they are more prepared for the postseason this year than last. But they will be facing either one of Florida or Boston, so take that anyway you'd like.

That being said, I am still concerned their stars are just not willing to pay the price to win. I said they COULD be contenders, I didn't necessarily say they would be. Maybe they'll surprise.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
There’s so much parity in the league that there are few teams that make the playoffs that aren’t.

If Leafs get the breaks and the bounces they can absolutely win the cup.

Is it likely? No, because there are 15 other teams.

If all teams were even each team would only have a 6% chance of winning the cup.

How far up in odds can a team realistically move? Maybe to 15% if they’re amazing? Even at 15% they lose 6 or 7 times for every one time they bink it.

It’s really hard to win a cup and it takes a lot more luck than I think most people are willing to admit.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Samsonov is red hot right now and Woll is healthy. Matthews has taken the foot off the gas for goals and is saving some of the playoffs.

The Leafs biggest weakness will always be Keefe. I just dont think hes that great of a coach. He’s the modern day Todd McLennan. Great in the regular season only.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
too many good/better teams this year

Might actually be a good thing for them though.

Colorado
Florida
Boston
Vancouver
New York Rangers

Carolina
Nashville
Dallas
WInnipeg
Toronto/Edmonton (both teams are volatile as hell sometimes but Edmonton has the cracked out powerplay again)

If i had to make a power ranking, they'd be at the bottom of this list that isn't particularly in order. Can't really count out Vegas or Tampa either if they make it

Playoffs are stacked this year with great teams. I'd consider the top 5 listed true contenders. Nashville, Vegas and Tampa being current wildcard teams is hilarious

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
If Leafs get the breaks and the bounces they can absolutely win the cup.
No, you can’t luck your way to 16 wins. They can luck their way through a series but ultimately their defense and goaltending remains not good enough. Their bloated star contracts ruined their depth and their core players can’t step up to win games.

The Leafs won’t be a contender at minimum until Tavares is gone and they free up $11m in space. There’s no way they get through Boston and Florida.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
No, you can’t luck your way to 16 wins. They can luck their way through a series but ultimately their defense and goaltending remains not good enough. Their bloated star contracts ruined their depth and their core players can’t step up to win games.

The Leafs won’t be a contender at minimum until Tavares is gone and they free up $11m in space. There’s no way they get through Boston and Florida.

Any goalie can get hot, including a guy like Woll.

You’re saying if they play this exact tournament 100 times, there’s not a single time the Leafs win?

It’s all opinion all around of course, but saying they “can’t contend” because of a single contract that’s produced approximately point per game with league average defence at the 2C spot is an absolutely absurd take.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I feel like the teams in the East haven't gotten better, while they have taken a step back this season.

The East is too good. I have a hard time finding a path for them to the SC final.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The only teams in this years playoffs that would shock me if they won the Cup would be whatever team finishes 3rd in the Metro and 8th in the East. The other 14 teams are all pretty equal in my opinion.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Whether he wins Rockets or not despite missing games wasn't the point I was trying to make.

I wasn't taking a shot at Matthews at all when I mentioned that he normally misses 8-12 games with injuries.

The point I was trying to make is that Matthews has been carrying the Maple Leafs at various times this season. He has been the only reason that the Maple Leafs have gotten points in many games this season.

If he ends up missing 8-12 games due to injuries like he normally has done throughout his career, will the Maple Leafs be able to survive his absence?

Or would a possible Matthews injury put the Maple Leafs into a complete and total tail-spin?

Not sure it's as big of a deal as you might think...

The Toronto Maple Leafs have a 35-19-2 record all-time without Matthews in the lineup. That's a 105 point pace over a full season, the Leafs are pacing to 102 points this year.....Just sayin.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Samsonov is red hot right now and Woll is healthy. Matthews has taken the foot off the gas for goals and is saving some of the playoffs.

The Leafs biggest weakness will always be Keefe. I just dont think hes that great of a coach. He’s the modern day Todd McLennan. Great in the regular season only.
Don't think Keefe has won a single coaching match up in a playoff series hes been in. Constantly making poor decision after poor decision. Maybe this time will finally be his last.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Leafs are lucky they don't have the easiest schedule.

They do better against good teams.
They seem to motor boat the Caps … wait, awww that’s a compliment to my Caps I think

Leafs are deadly and if they can get a hot goalie in the playoffs .. it could be their year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad