Speculation: Are the rangers tough enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers ftw

May 8, 2007
If you had been paying attention you would've seen what happens when you take penalties. Let em "goon" it up, watch em fall.

AHB*

Flyers were gooning it up near the end of the game. Can the rangers withstand the flyers toughness?

Lol are you seriously concerned. The Flyers are so undisciplined. If the Rangers exploit that (which they have, even in the regular season) they will end this series quickly.

Also, the Flyers TOFFNESSS is so overrated. They check, but they don't have any beasts like Lucic. They're a bunch of undersized pests, similar to us but slightly more so.

That being said, I have my doubts against and "actual" tough team like Boston, or the Western squads. But I'll worry about that when we get there.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Flyers physicality is overrated IMO. They're not the Bruins, they have a couple of guys who will run around but it's not really a part of their game where they impose their will physically like the Bruins can, for the Flyers it's "goon it up when in doubt and throw the other team off their game, maybe throw a few big hits along the way"

Rangers responded fine last night, they seemed to be hitting back quite a bit at least early on

Gotta keep their heads up but there's no point in trying to outdo the Flyers in the physical play department...goals win games, not hits, focus on scoring goals not trying to outdo the team that's trying to get you riled up

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Flyers were gooning it up near the end of the game. Can the rangers withstand the flyers toughness?

The Flyers are fake tough guys.

They try to hard and because of that they are un-disciplined.

The Rangers would be wise to skate away unless they have no choice.

I like physical hockey, but that's for the Regular season. The Playoffs are a time for maintaining composure and walking away from the post whistle non-sense that the Flyers bait teams into.

They have a dangerous team offensively. No need to give them opportunities with a man advantage.

They did NOTHING last night that would have me concerned about the Rangers physical well being.

I'm more concerned with the Bruins and BlueJackets as they are both BIG teams

Flyers? Physically? don't concern me.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I'm not sure the Flyers played tough. The Rangers matched the physicality at the start of the game and never seemed intimidated at any point in the game.

This is the '86 Rangers/Flyers all over, and that Flyer team was way more talented. But when Vanbies shut the door Keenan had the Flyers turn tough and thatdidn't phase the Rangers one bit. In fact it motivated them to stick to Sator's plan. And even then the smallish Rangers stood toe to toe with the tough guys. That '86 Ranger team was a good TEAM, just like this one, the parts equal greater than one indivisual. Great goaltending helps too;)

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The coaches will need to make the call here. If they feel the team is getting intimidated, they will want to put Carcillo in the lineup together with Dorsett. Have the two of them beat up any Flyer who is intimidating any skill players, let them know not to bother our guys.

But as long as nobody is intimidated, we are ok.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
it's a lot tougher to take a chop to the knees and accept the power play than it is to retaliate and lose a PP opportunity.

Rangers were pretty disciplined and VERY tough last night.

and it showed. We were the better team for 95% of that game.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
The coaches will need to make the call here. If they feel the team is getting intimidated, they will want to put Carcillo in the lineup together with Dorsett. Have the two of them beat up any Flyer who is intimidating any skill players, let them know not to bother our guys.

500% disagree with this.

Boyle - Moore - Dorsett is a legitimate ELITE 4th line. They control the puck way more than they give up chances. I have absolutely no interest in breaking them up. And nobody else needs to be sat just so Carcillo can take a dumb retaliation penalty.

I'll stick with the team that won 4-1 thank you very much.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

If game 2 goes like game 1 maybe we should dress Carcillo for game 3 in Philly, keep him on the bench. Get in their minds, create the illusion the game is gonna be about bruisers, but still play the same as the first two games, let the Flyers break that threshold like they did last night.

SupersonicMonkey*

As others have said, it's all about discipline. The Flyers played "tough" and took stupid penalties. Our guys handled themselves just fine and didn't shy away from physical contact.

Yea i liked the way we played last night. We hit them often, but didn't get suckered into any of the extra nonsense. Dorsett did a great job of playing on the line and getting some Flyers off their game.

What a turn around from last two years of chasing the puck and collapsing. I was unsure about Vignault at the start of the season, but he has done a great job so far with this club.

We are dictating the play. Philly isn't a weak team. I'm hopeful, but still nervous. Hoping for big things.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Yes, they are.

This team showed its heart in that regular season CBJ game. You don't need tawfness to win, but the Rangers can dial it up when necessary.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
philly didnt play a tough game at all yesterday. slashing players after the whistle and throwing tantrums on the ice isnt being tough. it was actually a relatively easy opponent for our players. one of the few tough plays the flyers made was the way they scored their goal. hartnell decked mcd behind the net and won the puck back, but other than that they didnt show much fight or positive aggression.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
500% disagree with this.

Boyle - Moore - Dorsett is a legitimate ELITE 4th line. They control the puck way more than they give up chances. I have absolutely no interest in breaking them up. And nobody else needs to be sat just so Carcillo can take a dumb retaliation penalty.

I'll stick with the team that won 4-1 thank you very much.

Would be good if 1) you read what I wrote; and 2) understood "if - then" sentences.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
I hate to break it to the Carcillo fan club, but he's not a deterrent out there at all. He's undersized and not much of a fighter, ergo he's not going to be making any of the Philthy goons think twice about taking cheap shots.

Carcillo's strength lies in agitating and getting teams off their games. The Flyers don't need any help doing that; they become unglued easily enough on their own.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Is this a troll thread?

Yes if you are familiar with Mint's posts it is obvious. It was a shot at people saying this team can't handle the Flyers tenacity prior to the playoffs.

It is a little preemptive to say I told you so, but they certainly looked fine last night.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Would be good if 1) you read what I wrote; and 2) understood "if - then" sentences.

I read exactly what you said. You implied that they were getting intimidated, or that possibility existed. Why would it? Theyve played the Flyers 6-8 times a year and we've dominated them for like 5 years in a row now.

Why would that change? Why would you need Carcillo at all when the other lines work just fine.

Also, how is Carcillo at all a deterrent? He doesn't fight all that well unless its Gaborik, and he's not exactly a heavy hitter.

Rangers have a deterrent. it's called their Power Play.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Hartnell hit on McDonagh that led to the Flyers goal was actually a very good forecheck--completely legal hit. It was a good play by him all the way around.

I'd hesitate to say they gooned it up. To me there was no real explicit physical challenge. The penalties at the end were just dumb frustration penalties that pretty much eliminated any chance for them to climb back into the game. If they want to play without any discipline every time they're behind in the score towards the end of the game--they're welcome to go for it AFAIC. That's the quickest way out of the playoffs and on to the golf courses for them that I know.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers are tough enough to handle the Flyers. They skate, hit and can stand up to this version of the Flyers. The Bruins are the only team with skill and toughness the Rangers can't match in the East. Dorsett can easily match up with Rinaldo. Even though he rarely goes, Klein can handle Simmonds in a fight. The Schenn sisters are a joke. Don't quite the get hype of the big bad Flyers, 1975 was a long time ago.

That's the way I see it. We'll know again how much actual toughness means if we face the Bruins. They have the best combination of size, skill, toughness, good defense, good offense, good goaltending in the East.

Last year their 4th line killed us in the playoffs. This year our 4th line is a lot better. Our defense corps is a lot deeper. So in some ways I think we would match them better this time around. Not physically though. I still think that Lucic is going to continually crowd our crease, track down our d-men with devastating hits and generally create all kinds of chaos. To beat the Bruins we're going to have to figure out a way to mitigate his influence on the results on any given game.

First things first though--and that's getting past the Flyers. We're off to a good start with that but there's still a ways to go. I expect the Flyers to be better in the next game. We're going to have to be better too.

AHB*

If game 2 goes like game 1 maybe we should dress Carcillo for game 3 in Philly, keep him on the bench. Get in their minds, create the illusion the game is gonna be about bruisers, but still play the same as the first two games, let the Flyers break that threshold like they did last night.

We should also hire Mark Hamill to try and Jedi-Mind trick them into taking stupid penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad