Are the Pens trending up, down, or treading water?

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
DOWN.
in the East, trending down.
In Metro, nose-diving.

This summer will tell whether they have a chance at any kind of recovery.

But every game I watch in the SCF re-inforces my belief that they aren't close to competing at the elite level. Not by a long shot. It's very depressing.

That sums it up. If any pen's fan can't come to that realization, then they don't just understand hockey. Something dramatic has to happen to change the downward plight of the pens, but the chances of that happening are slim and none. prepare for a non-play-off year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I know we said this last year as well, but shedding some of the dead weight is an absolute must to even begin to think this team is heading in the right direction. If guys like Kunitz/Scuderi/etc. are not only still around in September, but still being used in key roles, I don't have an ounce of faith this organization will turn it around.

The lack of talent up front, particularly on the wing, is disconcerting. Compare the two current Cup finalists (Tbay and Chicago) to what the Pens have, and it's laughable. Lightning are often playing Callahan on the third line, and Chicago's bumping Sharp all over the lineup depending on Quenville's mood. Both those guys would be mainstays in the Pens' top six.

The Pens' forward drafting hasn't done any favors, either. When you look at guys like Palat and Kucherov, or the Hawks with guys like Saad, Shaw, and Teuravainen, it's painful to see.

No matter what else happens, that is something that needs to happen, and it's entirely dependent on Pens management. They can trade Kunitz, whatever the return. If they can't trade Scuds, they can bench him. It's all up to them.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Tread%20Water.jpg

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
Nice, we're gonna put Cole on the top pairing now. :laugh: The guy looked good compared to utter garbage. I'm not sold on him at all just yet. It's like the chick with average looks suddenly looking like a supermodel when she's surrounded by her fat, ugly friends.

I get the "spread out the talent" thing for the blueline, but there's no talent to spread. We have Maatta and Letang, and then a significant drop. Pouliot will be a top 4 someday, but today's not that day. Lovejoy shouldn't sniff anything above bottom pairing minutes or responsibility. I don't think Cole's a legitimate top 4 defenseman either, but a good bottom pairing guy.

I dunno. The blueline's ****ed beyond the top pair.

I think Cole could make for a reasonable #4 defenseman depending on who his partner is. Which is another reason I'm ticked about losing Despres. If he could make Scuds look like an average defenseman then imagine how good Cole could of looked next to him. I think they could a been a solid second pairing and would of brought some much needed size on the backend.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Two things make me sad about this team right now. First their core heart and souls players CANNOT stay healthy. Second, no 1st round pick this year (which could really jump start a proper "re-tool").

Based on those things, I say trending down

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
For real though... there is ZERO to be positive about with this organization.

How can you NOT just be poopy pants 24/7 when talking Pens hockey.

Yea. This is my favorite time of year (well, the draft and July 1) and every time I try to get excited is time around, I just realize they have no assets and none of the free agents they are going to overpay are going to be remotely worth it. Oh, and they have no draft picks.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Well, I mean... it isn't impossible that things get turned around. There is still a good nucleus of players on the team to work with, provided they can stay healthy (lets just pretend that this is a possibility, at this point). I'm not one of the people that think a handful of quick fixes is going to magically put them back on the map, again. But under the right guidance and with the right combination of ruthlessness, savvy and patience... we could be talking Cup hopes again in a couple of seasons.

It's just that it's gonna be tough for anyone to truly believe that can happen with... whatever is going on in this team's front offices. You'd really have to have your head firmly in the sand to make believe that all is well, there. And that's... kind of a big deal. And it isn't even totally on them. They just don't inspire much confidence in being the "cleaners" of the massive mess the last group of thick-skulled, ham-fisted yokels left behind.

To answer the question posed by the thread... treading water, for now. Barely. The next few months are absolutely crucial as to whether or not that turns into drowning, IMO.

ObsessedCreative*

Well, I mean... it isn't impossible that things get turned around. There is still a good nucleus of players on the team to work with, provided they can stay healthy (lets just pretend that this is a possibility, at this point). I'm not one of the people that think a handful of quick fixes is going to magically put them back on the map, again. But under the right guidance and with the right combination of ruthlessness, savvy and patience... we could be talking Cup hopes again in a couple of seasons.

It's just that it's gonna be tough for anyone to truly believe that can happen with... whatever is going on in this team's front offices. You'd really have to have your head firmly in the sand to make believe that all is well, there. And that's... kind of a big deal. And it isn't even totally on them. They just don't inspire much confidence in being the "cleaners" of the massive mess the last group of thick-skulled, ham-fisted yokels left behind.

To answer the question posed by the thread... treading water, for now. Barely. The next few months are absolutely crucial as to whether or not that turns into drowning, IMO.

Just take the time to re-read all of your numerous "If" and "hopes" and things going EXACTLY 100% right in those senarios :laugh: ALL of those things will need to happen EXACTLY as planned in the HOPES that we polish this turd in 2 or 3 years... and with the ways things have gone over the last 5 years. Trades, decisions made, horrible hires, etc etc. Well be lucky if we get ONE of those 198309280398098 things we need to go right for us.

It's dark times man, I just wish more people would wake up and realize that, but I suppose they are too busy watching Pens fall out boy comericals and being entertained by the pneguins amazing twitter account. :cry:

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yes and no. Obviously they have put themselves in a position where MUCH more than usual has to break the right way for them. So that they are going to have to be relied upon, as a group, to MAKE a lot of their own luck. I get that. And I get that the team is... being run by who it's being run by. I'll leave it at that for the sake of brevity.

Look... you aren't going to find many bigger pessimists than me. But I don't think it's nearly as hopeless as all that. We are rightfully concerned, to say the least, at their seeming lack of understanding. But considering that they will at least often SAY the right things... I doubt seriously that they are utterly oblivious to their tenuous position.

I just... have to believe, much like Luke, that there is some good left in this burned out shell of a once-proud contender. If you must call it blind hope or faith or whatever... fine. But I think there is more to it than just that.

Am I going to start planning my Stanley Cup party for next season? Hardly. I have serious doubts that they even make the post season. But I DO think the ship can be righted while they still have Crosby at their disposal.

ObsessedCreative*

Yes and no. Obviously they have put themselves in a position where MUCH more than usual has to break the right way for them. So that they are going to have to be relied upon, as a group, to MAKE a lot of their own luck. I get that. And I get that the team is... being run by who it's being run by. I'll leave it at that for the sake of brevity.

Look... you aren't going to find many bigger pessimists than me. But I don't think it's nearly as hopeless as all that. We are rightfully concerned, to say the least, at their seeming lack of understanding. But considering that they will at least often SAY the right things... I doubt seriously that they are utterly oblivious to their tenuous position.

I just... have to believe, much like Luke, that there is some good left in this burned out shell of a once-proud contender. If you must call it blind hope or faith or whatever... fine. But I think there is more to it than just that.

Am I going to start planning my Stanley Cup party for next season? Hardly. I have serious doubts that they even make the post season. But I DO think the ship can be righted while they still have Crosby at their disposal.

Like always I will gladly be wrong on this issue and happily eat some crow, but I just don't know man.

We COULD have been sitting pretty and being an unstoppable juggernaut of the east had we don't the smart & logical things 2 to 3 seasons ago just player peronel wise, not counting coaching. Had they **** canned Bylstard after the Lightning debacle, even a guy like Hynes could have gotten another one of those penguins teams to a final and possibly another cup.

But wish in one hand and shi...

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Like always I will gladly be wrong on this issue and happily eat some crow, but I just don't know man.

We COULD have been sitting pretty and being an unstoppable juggernaut of the east had we don't the smart & logical things 2 to 3 seasons ago just player peronel wise, not counting coaching. Had they **** canned Bylstard after the Lightning debacle, even a guy like Hynes could have gotten another one of those penguins teams to a final and possibly another cup.

But wish in one hand and shi...

You mean after the flyers debacle. No one is getting fired when you lose a series with your two top five league players out and you've just won a jack adams. We do still remember bylsma won a jack adams right?

ObsessedCreative*

You mean after the flyers debacle. No one is getting fired when you lose a series with your two top five league players out and you've just won a jack adams. We do still remember bylsma won a jack adams right?

They blew their THREE / 3-1 series leads. The writing was all over the wall, but him lucking into a cup let the incompetence and insanity continue for like 3-4 more years after that.

Last edited:

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
They blew their FIRST of THREE / 3-1 series leads. The writing was all over the wall, but him lucking into a cup let the incompetence and insanity continue for like 3-4 more years after that.

Three blown 3 1 leads? Let's see, 11-12 flyers series, never lead, 12-13, swept by Boston, 13-14 blown 3 1 lead, 14-15, never lead. Lets not let our rage and hatred skew facts here.

ObsessedCreative*

Three blown 3 1 leads? Let's see, 11-12 flyers series, never lead, 12-13, swept by Boston, 13-14 blown 3 1 lead, 14-15, never lead. Lets not let our rage and hatred skew facts here.

Why aren't you mentioning 2010 against the Habs, and the bolts in 2011 :shakehead two of the other 3-1 blown leads along with the 2014 series against the rags :shakehead

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad