Speculation: Are the Oilers tough enough?

How do you currently feel about the 'Enforcer' roll on the Oilers?

• Total voters

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Recent discussions about trading Kassian raises a question. Let's see where everyone stands on the toughness of this team. Is it really that important to have enforcers?

Edit:
We already decided that there is a difference between a goon and an enforcer. A goon is a one dimensional fighter with no skills otherwise, an enforcer is a skilled player who can also crash and fight. Let's go with that for this thread

Last edited:

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Kassian is an enforcer? News to me.

We do need grit that Kassian, Foegele, Hyman and even Yama bring up front and need more of it.
We already decided that there is a difference between a goon and an enforcer. A goon is a one dimensional fighter with no skills otherwise, an enforcer is a skilled player who can also crash and fight. Let's go with that for this thread.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Most people think of guys like Laraque and Steve MacIntyre when you say enforcer.

If you mean guys that are physical and that will fight, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to have a few more guys that can do that. They need to be able to play hockey though.
I agree. It's confusing. I edited OP so we are all on the same terms

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Doesn't matter to me as long as the player can out score the opposition. If you are adding grit but they can't play then I think you are going backwards. I much prefer players that are hard to play against like Hyman and Puljujärvi.

Reactions: Oilhawks

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
We are a tough to play against team with Kass, Hyman, Yamo, Foegele, Nurse, etc. Even McDrai are damn physical as far as superstars go. We don’t need more goons, but I do like that the grit we have had lead to us getting buy in from everyone, especially guys like Benson who you wouldn’t necessarily think of as being physical. We aren’t the toughest team in the league anymore if you want to start a line brawl, but that’s a once a decade occurrence now, and we could still give a good showing with any team if it did happen

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Our team is pretty soft imo. Calgary is going to push our shit in next game.
With who?
How many 'enforcers' do they have?
Lewis? Zadorov?
Is Lucic a goon or enforcer? When has he kept goons in check?

I would surely prefer a Josh Anderson over Nuge but we don't 'need' enforcers once Nurse/Ceci are back.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Kassian is a shitty fighter and fighting is being phased out of NHL. Really not a need for any team going forward.
His last fight you could literally see how advanced he was at fighting compared to his opponent. He bobbed and weaved all of the punches thrown at him. He popped the guy a couple times and he went down.

He has obviously trained in boxing it was actually quite impressive. Imo.

Reactions: McNuge and Biltmore

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
His last fight you could literally see how advanced he was at fighting compared to his opponent. He bobbed and weaved all of the punches thrown at him. He popped the guy a couple times and he went down.

He has obviously trained in boxing it was actually quite impressive. Imo.
Not sure if I classify that as a fight. It was more of a dance. His previous 2 fights ended up with him being concussed of sorts.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Just for fun, why not.

GifMeme 26112021003127.gif

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We already decided that there is a difference between a goon and an enforcer. A goon is a one dimensional fighter with no skills otherwise, an enforcer is a skilled player who can also crash and fight. Let's go with that for this thread.

That's not an enforcer, that's a power forward. Think Tom Wilson and Josh Anderson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad