Are the oilers a small team?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Height has nothing to do with it. It is completely about the grit and toughness a team shows, in my opnion. Size can be overcome by gritiness, and this team hasn't shown enough of that. Hell, that was our calling card for years thanks guys like Grier, Torres, Moreau (pre fall-apart), etc. It looks like MacT is trying to find some of those kind of guys, not just punchers. Until we know if the new additions are enough to make a difference, yes, we are a small team.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
How often would people on here complain about Paajarvi not using his size enough or getting out-muscled too easily? Does he have a mean streak? By definition that is a soft player.

I'll give you Penner though, he was just lazy.

Penner was inconsistent. There were a lot of times when he was a prototypical power forward. It just wasn't all the time, and he was pushed out because you can't have part timers. Pajaarvi was a bit soft, but most young players are. He'll flourish in St. Louis, they will show him how to play tough.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Why there was no room for Hartikainen in the team?

There was. He decided to go play in Russia instead of competing with guys like Jones and Joensuu. Shame cause he probably would have made the team. I guess we will see what happens should he return in a season or two

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
It's a team that plays small.

I wouldn't include Hall or Nugent-Hopkins in there. Both finish their checks.

Gagner is 50/50, he's gritty though.

Smid, Petry, Ference will hit their checks. Nik Schultz just pins, doesn't really hit.

We shall see if Gordon, Jonesuu, new Eager, Acton, hits regularly or not.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I wouldn't include Hall or Nugent-Hopkins in there. Both finish their checks.

Gagner is 50/50, he's gritty though.

Smid, Petry, Ference will hit their checks. Nik Schultz just pins, doesn't really hit.

We shall see if Gordon, Jonesuu, new Eager, Acton, hits regularly or not.
I noticed you didn't mention Eberle. One of things I like most about Ebs is the consistent effort and that he always finishes his check.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
There was. He decided to go play in Russia instead of competing with guys like Jones and Joensuu. Shame cause he probably would have made the team. I guess we will see what happens should he return in a season or two

Ok, I hope he gets better offensive skills playing bigger minutes in Russia and returns to Edmonton as a beast

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Neither of those players were soft.

... what?

Both those players were very large and extremely soft.

A popular nic name for Penner pre "pancake Penner" was the stay puff marshmellow man.

MP idea of finishing a check was all too often brushing up against someone on his way by.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad