Are the oilers a small team?

fryburger

Aug 6, 2010
Ontario
I have been watching a ton TSN, listening the Radio, and other sources. Ton of these experts call the oilers a small team, but what constitutes a small team. Is it strictly average team height of forwards and defencemen?

I would consider our small guys Yaks, Eberle, Gagner, Ference and Brown. These`s guys are all 5'11"

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
They're small and they play like it. We're probably the softest team in the league.

It's not just about size though. Paajarvi and Penner are examples of bigger forwards who have played here but are just as soft as the rest of the roster.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Maybe you should name some of the big players on the Oilers who actually play a regular shift, then you will see.

Starbuds

You like muscles?
Mar 28, 2010
Maybe you should name some of the big players on the Oilers who actually play a regular shift, then you will see.

Dubnyk

NEXT

:sarcasm:

Well, the only defensemen under 6'1 on opening night will be Ference (according to Oilers website)

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Small in stature? not really.

Overloaded with players that play non-physical/non-aggressive games? Absolutely

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I have been watching a ton TSN, listening the Radio, and other sources. Ton of these experts call the oilers a small team, but what constitutes a small team. Is it strictly average team height of forwards and defencemen?

I would consider our small guys Yaks, Eberle, Gagner, Ference and Brown. These`s guys are all 5'11"

well, first of all, if Gagner is 5'11" then I'm an astronaut. 5'9" max. I'm sure you can minus an inch off Ebs as well.

but, that is beside the point. the Oilers "play" small. they never... NEVER... initiate rough play. its always reactive. when someone decks one of our small good players (which means anytime you hit any of our good players) then one our toughs (that can't play more than 8 minutes) reacts. its is such a sorry state of affairs it is absolutely embarrassing.

how did they allow themselves to build such a ridiculously imbalanced lineup. they are so screwed up they can't even correct themselves.

i'm scared for this lineup. they are going to get hurt.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
No doubt we need to see a couple wingers like Joensuu to emerge. It will also be nice to get Klefbom and Nurse on the team.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

It's a team that plays small.

NeutralZone

Oct 29, 2011
I think the best measure of size would be to take the average weight of the team, weighted by ice time. Having some 285 pound goon who only steps on the ice for 2 minutes every third game doesn't make the team big. By that measure, I suspect Edmonton is near the bottom of the league, although I haven't crunched the numbers. Edmonton's main forwards are all on the low end of average sized at best. Our D isn't too bad though, and is probably going to get bigger over the next few years.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It looks like we're working towards more size and physical play. Next season when Hemsky and Smyth are gone, hopefully we replace them with physical players. We added grit in our top six with Perron and our bottom six with Gordon and Joenusu. We also added toughness with Gadzic (Smac will probably be sent down once he's not injured). Plus we added toughness on defence with Ference and possibly Belov. Minus Gagner, Eberle and Yakupov were not that small of a team, more along the average.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Right now? Probably, yes.

But if we balance that with some really gritty players then we should be fine. Eberle/Nuge/Gagner/Perron can kill teams with speed, skill, deking, endurance, etc. They don't need size.

Taylor Hall is continuing to fill out, and if Yakupov follows in that same vein then our top 6 will be fine.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
They're small and they play like it. We're probably the softest team in the league.

It's not just about size though. Paajarvi and Penner are examples of bigger forwards who have played here but are just as soft as the rest of the roster.

Neither of those players were soft.

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Neither of those players were soft.

How often would people on here complain about Paajarvi not using his size enough or getting out-muscled too easily? Does he have a mean streak? By definition that is a soft player.

I'll give you Penner though, he was just lazy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->