Are the Montreal Canadiens a legit Stanley Cup contender?

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
We're definitely not a legit top contender. We're still weak at center compared to the top teams. DD might be playing but good teams will shut him down easy come playoff time and we he can't produce offense he's pretty much useless. For some reason teams like Leafs, Flyers, Wings scare me much more than Pens or Bruins.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I have mixed feelings. I still think that we are easily outcoached. However we have very good depth, particularly on defense, good team speed, and one of the top goalies worldwide if healthy. If Vanek gels with his linemates and has an impact, we can compete with any team, because of this depth and elite goaltending. Winning a Cup is always a little about luck, though, as well as playing through injuries.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
This year is the first year (since 93) that I'm not sure. We could very well surprise in the playoffs imho.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Not a lot of Eastern Conference teams have two elite snipers, one star defenceman, and a superstar goalie.That is enough to at least make it round Two this time around.And then, you never know.

Bergevin gave his coach the ammo. Now he needs to use it wisely. Or Bergevin will know. The Vanek trade is the kiss of death fir the coach. He has the tools to win at least one round. No question in my mind.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Contenders For Dummies:

- Don't overuse Markov.

- Don't underuse Tinordi or Beaulieu. Their potential upside outweighs the inevitable rookie mistakes. I assume one will be on the roster post-season.

- Do work on Eller. Don't let the guy slip into a permanent funk. We need the two-way depth he can bring.

- Do work on the PP. Habs have become predictable. They did a little changing-up of plays a month ago, but they'll need to go back to the drawing board for the playoffs.

- Health

- Health

- Frikkin Health

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Not a lot of Eastern Conference teams have two elite snipers, one star defenceman, and a superstar goalie.That is enough to at least make it round Two this time around.And then, you never know.

I would call PK a star d-man also.:sarcasm:. Iknow, I know you meant Subban but you're overlooking Markov. So that's 2 star d-men.

I think the Habs should come out of the East. Two excellent scorers, two star d-men and a star goalie.

And also they have excellent depth. Come the playoffs they'll have Weise, Bourque, Bournival, Parros, Tinordi, Beaulieu and Bouillon in the press box. That's not a bad looking reserve group.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad