Are the Montreal Canadiens a legit Stanley Cup contender?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In the PO upsets happen.

86 the Flames dumped Gretzky & the Oilers for us.

93 the Isles dumped Mario & Jagr's Pens for us.

The 14 Habs could get hot... its a possibility... especially with Vanek & the golden goalie.
Neither of those teams went on to win the cup. One thing to win a series, whole other ball of wax to win a championship.

That being said, I felt this was a good lineup (with some holes) before Vanek, now it's a lot stronger than it was. Still holes on the D but Beaulieu can fill in some of that gap.

What we really need is a new coach or for MT to go back to the system he had last year. This lineup is better than a lot of people have given it credit for. We've been outplayed not because of our roster but because of our coach. And our record doesn't reflect our play.

We absolutely DO have some elite talent now though. Price is awesome, same with Subban... and now we have Vanek. There's talent in this lineup, we just need to get the most out of it.

24rings

Sep 9, 2002
mtl
Visit site
Neither of those teams went on to win the cup. One thing to win a series, whole other ball of wax to win a championship.

That being said, I felt this was a good lineup (with some holes) before Vanek, now it's a lot stronger than it was. Still holes on the D but Beaulieu can fill in some of that gap.

What we really need is a new coach or for MT to go back to the system he had last year. This lineup is better than a lot of people have given it credit for. We've been outplayed not because of our roster but because of our coach. And our record doesn't reflect our play.

We absolutely DO have some elite talent now though. Price is awesome, same with Subban... and now we have Vanek. There's talent in this lineup, we just need to get the most out of it.

You misunderstood this guys post. He's saying maybe we can get lucky and avoid facing the top team. 86 Flames took out Oilers and we beat them in the finals to win the cup. 93 Isles knocked off the Pens and we beat the Isles to go on and win the cup that year again.

Saintpatrick*

I wouldn't have said no a few days ago but with the additions of Vanek and even Weaver I'd say we have a good a chance as any. The Pittsburgh and the Anaheim games prove that this team has alot of fight in it.

Yozzy

Feb 19, 2012
I think we are. If Price comes back and plays well, I don't see why not. Our problem was scoring. Not only does Vanek score, but it's a domino effect where we can now put people on lines where they can excel.

Here's hoping, anyways.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Boston is in first right? ...did we not beat them? so whats the problem? did we not already beat Pits, Anaheim or Chicago? Price has to be elite. Last year in the playoffs our best players were : PK, Eller before he got destroyed and Bourque! two guys from our third line! so whats the problem? I don't think anything is unrealistic if you believe you can do it.

Last edited:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I wouldn't have said no a few days ago but with the additions of Vanek and even Weaver I'd say we have a good a chance as any. The Pittsburgh and the Anaheim games prove that this team has alot of fight in it.

Weaver is a borderline NHL player, lets stop pretending we just landed Larry Robinson for Christ sakes.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Weaver is a borderline NHL player, lets stop pretending we just landed Larry Robinson for Christ sakes.

Weaver is pretty much an above average 3rd pairing guy. You're looking at the wrong blueliner if you want to use your 'barely an nhler' stamp.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Pittsburgh is a better team..........but they are incredibly self-destructive, starting with Fleury, continuing with Bylsma, and finishing with their uneven defense.

Boston is the best team in the east, no question, yet they have difficulties against us for whatever reason. And Vanek has a history of destroying them.

I can totally see Montreal overcoming them. It's the other teams like Toronto where I have less faith, ironically.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
I don't thing we are cup contenders but we can go far if things go right.

Is it troubling anyone else to have a norris winner, vezina contender, 2 40-goal scorers etc.. and yet still not be considered contenders or is it just me? On paper this team is stacked so what is the problem? Is it the coach? Is it the system? What will it take to be considered a contender?

Plante

Devils Advocate
May 12, 2010
Anahim Lake
thesoapbar.ca
Is it troubling anyone else to have a norris winner, vezina contender, 2 40-goal scorers etc.. and yet still not be considered contenders or is it just me? On paper this team is stacked so what is the problem? Is it the coach? Is it the system? What will it take to be considered a contender?

This team isn't 'stacked' on paper, :laugh:

No legit #1 centre, a #1 dman who has been struggling, terrible 5v5 production... and only 1 (2 time) 40 goal scorer.

We're noticeably weaker than Boston, Pitts, Anaheim, St louis, LA, Chicago, SJ, Colorado who are the true contenders.

We're a tier below that, we could upset those teams and we defiantly have the pieces to make a run, but we have too many holes. Teams that admit to having low skill and depend on grinding are rare to get to the finals, unless its a Cinderella run.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
The team is not a contender but it's getting into the realm of 'legit' .

All the issues we talk about , media coverage, the expression on Duthie's face when the trade went down you can attribute it to a type of dismissiveness that comes with being largely irrelevant for so long .

Bergevin is changing this slowly but steadily.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
This team isn't 'stacked' on paper, :laugh:

No legit #1 centre, a #1 dman who has been struggling, terrible 5v5 production... and only 1 (2 time) 40 goal scorer.

We're noticeably weaker than Boston, Pitts, Anaheim, St louis, LA, Chicago, SJ, Colorado who are the true contenders.

We're a tier below that, we could upset those teams and we defiantly have the pieces to make a run, but we have too many holes. Teams that admit to having low skill and depend on grinding are rare to get to the finals, unless its a Cinderella run.

Put Mike Babcock as coach and this team is tops in the east.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Folks said the same in 86,89 and 93.............while I agree that we should not be planning a parade I don`t agree with "absolutely not" ..............I think there is a wee bit more of wiggle room these days........Nes Pas?

Habs were in a dogfight for the Presidents Trophy all year with the Flames in 89, it sucked that they didn't win the cup!

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
While vanek theoretically helps the team, he's not enough to have the habs join that elite group of seven. Until the habs are effective at maintaining possession in the offensive zone, I won't even consider the thought.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Not serious contenders. Vanek could help the Habs make the playoffs (the most important thing) and perhaps win a round or two before he flees to Minnesota (which will have a hefty payroll after signing him).

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Pittsburgh is a better team..........but they are incredibly self-destructive, starting with Fleury, continuing with Bylsma, and finishing with their uneven defense.

Boston is the best team in the east, no question, yet they have difficulties against us for whatever reason. And Vanek has a history of destroying them.

I can totally see Montreal overcoming them. It's the other teams like Toronto where I have less faith, ironically.

indeed. even though they should be able to beat us, ****sburgh and baaaaaawston don't scare me one bit

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
indeed. even though they should be able to beat us, ****sburgh and baaaaaawston don't scare me one bit

We are faster than Boston and Price >>> Fleury. We are very capable of beating any team in the east. Our achilles heal is Therrien and our ability to win the war of attrition.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Not serious contenders. Vanek could help the Habs make the playoffs (the most important thing) and perhaps win a round or two before he flees to Minnesota (which will have a hefty payroll after signing him).

Bolded is the problem with your hypothesis. Look at the Forbes list for 2012. http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

Minnesota is the #1 money-loser out of 30 teams on that list, at around $15M loss in 2012. Yes, Heatley's off the books, but they may want to resign Moulson. With Parise, Koivu, Suter at 5.5M to 7.5M, and quite likely Moulson coming in in that price point as well, they're going to throw another 7-7.5M at Vanek? I don't see it. Will they get rid of one of their star forwards to make it work? Don't see that either. It isn't just fitting under the cap, it's about whatever their budget is. They may not want to spend to the cap.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Bolded is the problem with your hypothesis. Look at the Forbes list for 2012. http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/

Minnesota is the #1 money-loser out of 30 teams on that list, at around $15M loss in 2012. Yes, Heatley's off the books, but they may want to resign Moulson. With Parise, Koivu, Suter at 5.5M to 7.5M, and quite likely Moulson coming in in that price point as well, they're going to throw another 7-7.5M at Vanek? I don't see it. Will they get rid of one of their star forwards to make it work? Don't see that either. It isn't just fitting under the cap, it's about whatever their budget is. They may not want to spend to the cap.
While what you say is logical but I still expect him to sign there even if he has to take a smaller salary.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
While what you say is logical but I still expect him to sign there even if he has to take a smaller salary.

If I were MB, I would launch an appeal to both hemispheres of Vanek's brain. Emphasize the emotional aspect of the fan's warm welcome, while planting seeds of doubt that Minny can come anywhere near his offer, for the reasons that I evoked. He could make it look like a choice between 7.5-ishM and 3 or 4-ishM (or even the possibility of no offer whatsoever, given their implied preference for Moulson). With that kind of stark contrast, even the missus might reconsider the Montreal option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad