Are the Jets good enough now to win the 2019 Stanley Cup

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
... or do they need to upgrade?

They are vulnerable in goal in Hellebuyck goes down or has an off season. Then, there's the whole thing with Myers playing on the third pairing at his salary. If you feel the need to move Myers for draft picks, then your defense has just gotten worse than it was last year.

But... Schiefele, Ehlers, Laine, Morrissey and Trouba (if he signs) are all a year older and better - conceivably. And you have to hope that Ehlers and Laine produce far better in the playoffs next year.

And what happens with Statsney?

So, do the Jets stand pat and regress or do they need to be bold and make some big trades?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
the team was a top 5, 110 pt paced team prior to Stastny's acquisition and Little having his worst year in recent memory. There is no glaring weaknesses imo. Just like any team, they need some luck and bounces and imo they will be a deep playoff contender again.

At the TDL they can acquire another C if need be, but I would not look to sign Stastny on a multi year deal going into his 33 year old year.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Possible, depends on if Hellebuyck can be the real deal for another season. If Little can go back to his old form or Roslovic can play 2C and be the player we thought he could potentially be in addition to Hellebuycks 2nd season of success than we are the favourite for next season IMO.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
This is hard to answer until we know the off season signings and movements.
My key player in all this is Trouba and how quickly or not his contract status changes and what we attempt to do for a LHD....
That could actually factor in to the Trouba question.
Will Mason be healthy enough to lighten the load for Helle?
Will Helle’s agent be reasonable?
Do we make room for Stastny and if so at who’s expense?

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I think the Jets were good enough to win the Cup in 2017-2018 and they'll be good enough to win the Cup in 2018-2019 since even in a worst case scenario the roster won't be gutted. As with all the contenders, we'll need some bounces, some good performances, etc., but I do think we're legit contenders for the following reasons (non-exhaustive list):

- Laine and Ehlers won't get worse, they'll get better IMO
- Connor may have a sophmore slump but he'll still be good
- I expect Little to bounce back
- Scheif will still be elite
- Lowry will hopefully be healed and return to beast mode
- Trouba is still RFA so even if he wants more $ and to play on a team in the south, we can bridge him again or surely he'd bring a good haul in trade
- Morrissey will still be great
- Hellebuyck will still be solid
- Mason can't possibly have worse luck than this year and I think he has a semi-bounce-back year and is able to take much more of the load from Helle, making Helle better and more durable in the post season
- The Vegas spell will be broken and I predict they won't even make the playoffs

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
I think they will be serious contenders for the next 3-5 years at least. If any of the Jets prospects break out they will be good for a long time.

I know every fan overrates their prospects, but these are the ones I’m looking forward to:
Niku
Vesalainen
Appleton
Samberg
Berdin (I just wanna see his celebrations)

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
... or do they need to upgrade?

They are vulnerable in goal in Hellebuyck goes down or has an off season. Then, there's the whole thing with Myers playing on the third pairing at his salary. If you feel the need to move Myers for draft picks, then your defense has just gotten worse than it was last year.

But... Schiefele, Ehlers, Laine, Morrissey and Trouba (if he signs) are all a year older and better - conceivably. And you have to hope that Ehlers and Laine produce far better in the playoffs next year.

And what happens with Statsney?

So, do the Jets stand pat and regress or do they need to be bold and make some big trades?

Just following the natural progression of draft & develop and of asset management and we are top 4 in the league with a chance of winning it all that is equal to the other 3.

That is except for some uncertainty in goal. And not much of that. Bucky faded late. I think he was just a little overworked. But he needs to have another season like last year and Mason needs to be a good backup to give Bucky more rest.

If we get the goaltending we definitely have the horses to win it.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
As long as Bucky stays in form and the contract situations play out favorably we should be competing for top spot in the central division and western conference.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I honestly don’t think there is such a thing as being good enough - it’s pretty much a crapshoot of luck in the playoffs, especially in the later rounds. That’s why every single opportunity must be seized. And this is why it was such a shame we couldn’t advance to the finals this year, there’s no guarantees of us making it this deep again.

Jets, Capitals, Lightning, Vegas, Nashville etc. were all “good enough” to win the cup. But only one team can win, often with the narrowest of margins. It isn’t really about how good you are imho.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
This thread is interesting....really good

I think the Jets arrived ahead of schedule this year, going much further than what I or most others expected.

There is a strong argument to be made for standing pat. Many young players have huge room to grow.

So much depends on that and if anyone can emerge from the group of Petan, Appleton, Niku and Vesalainen.

You get an entry level contract contributing it can change a lot of things.

Chevy using his usual patience will most likely re assess at the deadline.

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
We have to win the Stanley Cup next year in order to fulfill the following prediction:

6819_FWJets-400.jpg

:jets

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
They definitely can, although they're not the favourites
Need some luck here and there

Moon Man

Oct 3, 2015
I don’t think we were good enough to win the cup this last year (barring some serious luck). Vegas was just too strong against us. Much more skilled, especially with their hand-eye stickwork and solid defensive play. We could hardly get any meaningful play past them. I think the grit of Reaves got to some of our players as well. Their speed was unreal as well.

This next year, so many things could go well for our chances:
1) Our young guns take the next big step in development
2) We get a nice surprise out of training camp/preseason/injury relief (K Vas/Apples/Lemieux/Niku/Poolman/Lipon)
3) We make some smart moves in the draft/offseason that benefit us (does anyone know of any good euro guys we could sign to a 1 year cheap ELC? Maybe a centre or left defenseman?)
4) Great trade deadline acquisitions like Stastny and Morrow
5) More luck

If we can get some of these going for us, particularly our young guns taking the next big step, then there’s no question, we will have a legitimate chance at the cup.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Roster wise, we will need to see what happens over the summer. There could be some significant gaps in the lineup depending on what happens to guys like Trouba and Stastny. Coaching wise, I have to believe that Maurice and team learned something from the adjustments that the Capitals made to throw Vegas and MAF off of their game - mitigate their strengths. Although unlikely, we may see Vegas again in the post season.

Nov 24, 2006
If they move Myers yes.

Not to be rude, but you think Myers leaving helps our chances?!

Myers gets far too much shit on this board.

The only way I think it "helps" is if they need that salary elsewhere to address a serious need, which I don't think they actually have.

Yes, he's paid a lot relative to his role, but so is Kulikov.

And our D was a good part of the reason we were the second best team in the NHL last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad