Are the Jets good enough now to win the 2019 Stanley Cup

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Better goaltending and better secondary scoring would have helped this past playoffs

In short, if this is followed, then yes, there is a good chance for the Cup in 2018-19

Reactions: Tommigun

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
We need a legit backup ALL YEAR. We overplayed Hellebuyck and it showed near the end of the year and as the playoffs went on.

Health, especially on the backend will be a huge determinant as well, but I do think this team could win the Cup next year.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
No need to upgrade. Just try to avoid too much of a downgrade (hoping small improvements from the younger players, especially Roslovic, combined could offset loss of Stastny)

Jets would have been giving Washington a run for their money this year if they didn't face god mode Fleury in the WCF.

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
I like to think a better question is this- do we really believe that there are no player moves that need to be done to elevate our team play and make us a stronger contender team? Is Chevy so good at drafting/developing that he has collected the perfect mix of players ( with physical attributes/ individual skill sets and play styles that create the optimal 4 lines and D corp? To utilize words that were thrown around a year or so ago, has Chevy been so fantastically good as a "farmer gathering talent" that he needs now do absolutely nothing further to be a "hunter" and make final adjustments to the roster? I am somewhat taken aback by the vast majority on this board who create discussions (re cap management challenges: trade possibilities; and the like) which start from the premise that the objective should be to maintain the status quo... . I hope Chevy shows us all that he is more than adept at assessing where change needs to happen and skillfuly "hunting" for an improvement. :nod:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I like to think a better question is this- do we really believe that there are no player moves that need to be done to elevate our team play and make us a stronger contender team? Is Chevy so good at drafting/developing that he has collected the perfect mix of players ( with physical attributes/ individual skill sets and play styles that create the optimal 4 lines and D corp? To utilize words that were thrown around a year or so ago, has Chevy been so fantastically good as a "farmer gathering talent" that he needs now do absolutely nothing further to be a "hunter" and make final adjustments to the roster? I am somewhat taken aback by the vast majority on this board who create discussions (re cap management challenges: trade possibilities; and the like) which start from the premise that the objective should be to maintain the status quo... . I hope Chevy shows us all that he is more than adept at assessing where change needs to happen and skillfuly "hunting" for an improvement. :nod:

Where would you think one needs to be made. I have a hard time seeing a clear weakness that needs to be addressed through a blockbuster at this point. So I think the focus should be on getting our key young players signed fist and foremost. If you need to make a move after then by all means do so, but I really don't see a pressing need that requires trade action.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
At this time the Jets are easily a top 5 team in the NHL, and definitely are a Cup contender. They just need to make it through the regular season, get lucky in playoff matches, injuries, scoring chances goaltending, etc. and there could be a parade in downtown Winnipeg next June.

I think what hurt the Jets this year was the intensity of the Nashville series combined with Fleury's hotstreak during the Western Conference Final. They were too exhausted to comeback in that series and kind of gave up when they were down 2-1. I truly believe that you need to lose a Cup before you can win one, and last year the Jets lost one. They will learn from their mistakes, I think Chevy will do what he has to do when it comes to Free Agency, and the Trade Deadline, and they have an excellent shot at winning the Stanley Cup next year.

Reactions: KingBogo

ecolad

Nov 17, 2015
Where would you think one needs to be made. I have a hard time seeing a clear weakness that needs to be addressed through a blockbuster at this point. So I think the focus should be on getting our key young players signed fist and foremost. If you need to make a move after then by all means do so, but I really don't see a pressing need that requires trade action.

Sorry if I was unclear Surixon, I didn`t mean to imply that immediate trade action was a pressing need and I certainly don`t have anything specific in mind in such regard. I was attempting to provide some additional context to the question posed in this thread - namely" Are the Jets good enough now to win the 2019 Stanley Cup?" Methinks in retrospect, I should have stayed out of this topic altogether. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad