Are the Jackets finally on the cusp of something great ?

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
I noticed many Jackets fans have Browns syndrome. For those unfamiliar with this, as a Cleveland Browns fan we’ve been waiting since Super Bowl 1 to get there with the promise of every year holding that special key. Unfortunately they keep changing the lock on us.
You've been on the "Dawgs talkers" boards?
Very similar pattern here.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Certainly things are shaping up to be great, but so much can happen it's hard to predict.

We saw that last season when pretty much all the roster players missed a lot of games. If that is different from now on, that already improves the team a lot. Natural progression of young core improves the team, and the competition internally keeps everyone working. Acquisitions made in the off season strengthen the team too.

There are a lot of really high potential prospects coming up to improve team. Not all of them will hit but we have so many that some will. The prospect pool is maybe the best in the league.

I have questions about goaltending and coaching but would like to see how this team works in this form before trying to make changes. Compared to last season, getting full time Werenski, Laine, , Jenner, Marchenko, Chinakhov etc already would change the outlook completely. Adding to that, Severson and Provorov, a full 2nd pairing.

I expect Jiricek and Fantilli to play up, hopefully they can contribute straight away but even if they don't, this team can reach playoffs. If the key guys stay healthy.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So many variables. For great to happen-which I'll define as a Stanley Cup win-these are things that I think will need to occur:

1) Fantilli must be as good as his billings

2) Gaudreau and Laine will have to-at a bare minimum-maintain their scoring rates

3) Werenski will have to play at a very high level at both ends of the ice. Pronorov will have to be very solid

3) Jiricek and Johnson will have to become players on the caliber of roughly Cale Makar (perhaps not quite this good but in the neighborhood) and Brayden Point

4) Severson will have to be worthy of an 8 year deal and be a solid second pairing guy along with Boqvist or Pronorov.

5) At least one other forward will have to become a solid 60 point producer.

6) Goaltending will have to be fixed

7) Players like Roslovic, Bemstrom, Bayreuther and Cole Sillinger (barring remarkable improvement) can't be part of a Cup-contending roster.

8) The bottom six/3rd pairing dmen can't have any glaring weak spots
If things happen the way you actually lay it out then this team would be the best team in the league

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio
I noticed many Jackets fans have Browns syndrome. For those unfamiliar with this, as a Cleveland Browns fan we’ve been waiting since Super Bowl 1 to get there with the promise of every year holding that special key. Unfortunately they keep changing the lock on us.
Honestly I only follow hockey and don’t follow any other sport maybe some college football but that is starting to get old with me (all the money and conference realignments). So Browns, Bengals, Cavaliers (especially the NBA), Reds, Guardians (stupid name change) - could all go away and I wouldn’t lose any sleep.

So any of those references are lost on me.

Reactions: thebus88

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
There are a lot of similarities between the 2 franchises. Always looking for the #1 QB/#1 C among them.

As much as I would like them in a super bowl, it is still the NFL championship with a different name. They have been in a bunch, just not in my lifetime. I have never looked at the super bowl as something different. I am also not a fan of Watson or Haslam, so I have a hard time getting excited for this team. Frankly, I have become indifferent towards them. I just want them to win for their fans more or less.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If things happen the way you actually lay it out then this team would be the best team in the league
Well the topic of the thread had to do with "greatness",didn't it?

And it wouldn't be the best team in the league even if everything came together.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
There are a lot of similarities between the 2 franchises. Always looking for the #1 QB/#1 C among them.

As much as I would like them in a super bowl, it is still the NFL championship with a different name. They have been in a bunch, just not in my lifetime. I have never looked at the super bowl as something different. I am also not a fan of Watson or Haslam, so I have a hard time getting excited for this team. Frankly, I have become indifferent towards them. I just want them to win for their fans more or less.

Agreed. I actually can say I watched the 64 Championship Game but never in my wildest imagination would I think that I would still be waiting for the next one.

Reactions: Monstershockey

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Well the topic of the thread had to do with "greatness",didn't it?

And it wouldn't be the best team in the league even if everything came together.
If Fantilli hit his top end thats a MacKinnon type player. If Johnson becomes Point thats an absolutey elite center ice depth with 2 high end 1C's. Add to that top end wingers and the offense is top notch.

Thenyou have a 1D in Werenski, Provorov back on track who has top pair ability if he finds his way again or even just a number 3 is still huge and Jiricek becoming anything close to a Norris candidate would be an absolutely stacked roster.

I know what you were getting at using names like Makar/Point but if that development somehow did happen the roster would be nuts

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If Fantilli hit his top end thats a MacKinnon type player. If Johnson becomes Point thats an absolutey elite center ice depth with 2 high end 1C's. Add to that top end wingers and the offense is top notch.

Thenyou have a 1D in Werenski, Provorov back on track who has top pair ability if he finds his way again or even just a number 3 is still huge and Jiricek becoming anything close to a Norris candidate would be an absolutely stacked roster.

I know what you were getting at using names like Makar/Point but if that development somehow did happen the roster would be nuts
It would be-if the goaltending gets fixed.

Most likely, either Fantilli or Jircek doesn't live up to projections. But maybe they do and the CBJ have a nice run for several years.

I can say that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully it's not an oncoming train;)

Last edited:
Reactions: puckgoalnet

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Still too many ifs on this roster to say they are on the cusp of anything. The way players move around these days, things could change in either direction real fast. I just hope they are in the conversation every year, anything better than that is a bonus. I just hope they get more likeable guys. Haven't been to much of a fan of our vets, minus Werenski, for obvious reason, and the new guys haven't been around long enough to know them yet. I do like Marchenko, KJ, and Jiricek so far though.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Seems to me the simple answer is that there is a strong chance that in 2-3 years this will be a very good team and with some good luck a great team

Reactions: Viqsi

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
We are missing two main pieces. 1C and 1G. Without those no one can succeed. Fantilli can maybe be 1C but not in 2years.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I had a cheeky response earlier but I figured I would make a serious post now.

I still think this franchise potential was at its highest after the Monsters won the Calder Cup and we were about to take like 3 or 4 of their guys onto the active roster and start the youth movement. That was (to date) our most successful regular season ever, and yeah it was buoyed by an unsustainable 16 game win streak, but that team was pretty good all year until the final month or so.

I don't think we're quite at that level but I do like the make up of this team right now. The biggest questions remain the same from previous years, center and goalie. But we've got lots of interesting options at center and the current guys aren't awful, just not 1C caliber. As for goalie, its a complete mystery box. Aiden Hill was barely an NHL goal this time last year and now he's a Cup champion as a starter and making around 5 million per year. Weird position. Elvis and Tarasov have talent, and the defense should be way better, but we'll see.

I'm optimistic. I do think we're headed in the right direction. The East/Metro is so wide open aside from, like, Tampa, Toronto, Carolina, and New Jersey. After that anything is game. I would not be shocked if we made it next year but I doubt it.

As far as the long term future? Yeah, I think we're looking pretty good. KJ, Sillinger, Marchenko, Fantilli, etc. That's an elite young core. Developing them properly and getting them signed long term is important. Some teams still have better long term outlooks than us in the East (namely Jersey, Buffalo, maybe Ottawa/Detroit?) But we're right there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad