Are the Hockey News getting ahead of themselves a little bit?

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Mats Sundin=Auston Matthews
Doug Gilmour>>any other player on the current roster
Larry Murphy>>>>any current Leafs D in the roster and pipeline.

They combined for zero Toronto cup wins. They are on path for contending, why not leave it at that?
If it makes you feel better, sure.
Happy?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
So much bitterness in here. It's just a silly magazine cover, let's not get so riled up. GLG!

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
It has happened before in other sports. Just saying.

This cover is from 2014:

10464218_10154263320520431_6241616349984624771_n.jpg

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
They're just doing their job, which ultimately, is to profit.

What's going to sell more: "Hey Leafs might be decent for awhile" or "the Leafs are winning the Stanley Cup"? Which grabs more eyeballs?
Yup, pretty basic concept really.

Reactions: Machinehead

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Very much. Toronto has been on path many times before. Just wanted to prepare you in case you steer off the path into a ditch again.
You are a shining beacon of reason in a dark sea of turmoil that is Leafs nation. With our pale and malnourished hands, we reach out and thank you for having the sheer guts to temper our ridiculous expectations. Bless you on this great day.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
You are a shining beacon of reason in a dark sea of turmoil that is Leafs nation. With our pale and malnourished hands, we reach out and thank you for having the sheer guts to temper our ridiculous expectations. Bless you on this great day.
No problem at all. The pleasure is all mine. As you know the Oilers were on path to Dynasty just less than a year ago.
You can only imagine my shock and disbelief to learn that we aren't winning the cup this year.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
*slow clap*

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah, it's hard to see Middlestadt as a "ray of light".

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If anything that cover makes Leafs fans look bad when they say "plan the parade" because it's something fans of other teams bash Leafs fans for whenever they are winning.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
It's just a cover trying to grab attention. All mags do that. Look back over old THN issues over the years and look at their many predictions. Their track record is abysmal when it comes to predictions. Their analysis has also become very suspect and shows a complete lack of knowledge of the teams they write about in many cases. I still subscribe out of habit, but that mag has gone downhill steeply. Quite a few internet hockey bloggers have more hockey knowledge and better analysis than most of the hacks who write for THN nowadays. Hopefully THN improves at some point.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Very much. Toronto has been on path many times before. Just wanted to prepare you in case you steer off the path into a ditch again.
I've been watching this team for decades. They've never been on the right path imo. Not so say they haven't had some very good teams. But they weren't that close. Nor was it sustainable.

We have solid management that is trying to make sure we don't get too far ahead of ourselves.

Anyway, as long as you're happy, that's all that matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad