Are the Habs title contenders if Carey Price gets back to 100%?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
At best reaching the ECF. They are not getting past Washington or Pittsburgh. I think they would have a tough time against the Rangers as well.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
The team is leaving him out to dry a bit, but that Coyotes game was a little concerning. Concerning that he's either not in 100% form or not giving 100% effort. I feel that no professionally-paid athlete should ever give less than 100% effort regardless of who his coach or teammates are. I know some Habs fans are on board with that if it means showing MT the door to prevent repeating history (Roy).

I would rather a player go public with his grievances than be passive with lack of effort.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
All their players are so valuable in trade threads but the team is complete trash when talking about price, it's so weird.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
Average team. Caps, pens, NYR and CBJ are better and would take them out with ease, especially caps and pens.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Or are they just an average team? With the talent and depth they have, could they make a legitimate run for the championship? Do you see them beating the likes of the Pens, Caps, Rangers, Maple Leafs (maybe), or even the Hawks in the playoffs? Or or or, they're a weak team who's goaltender saves them on a daily basis?

Edit: By 100% I mean back in-form to his MVP self, cause at the moment, he is slumping. He is not injured or hurt by any means.

Thoughts.

one of these things is not like the others

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Habs needs Duchene. Price admits the Habs don't have an identity. Whenever you thought of the Habs you thought of Price and Subban. Now it's just Price.

They badly need Duchene. Some speed should help and bringing Duchene in helps Galchenyuk play wing.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Depends what Bergevin can do in the next couple of weeks. They need another top 6 scoring forward and a top 4 D. A lot to ask for but it would change things I think.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
Price is at 100% of what he is right now. The past is the past, who knows if he can ever replicate the past but the older he gets, the less likely it will become.

He's a pretty good goaltender, the team around him has some holes, that is what needs to be fixed, it has nothing to do with the goaltending.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Habs needs Duchene. Price admits the Habs don't have an identity. Whenever you thought of the Habs you thought of Price and Subban. Now it's just Price.

They badly need Duchene. Some speed should help and bringing Duchene in helps Galchenyuk play wing.

I agree that Duchene makes too much sense for them. Package off Sergachev and whatever else and go for it now while Price and Weber are still straddling their primes. I'd keep Galchenyuk as the #2 though. In that role things should really open up for him, right now Plekanec is no offensive threat in the top 6.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
They just got exposed by the bruins, at the td garden, with Rask in net (for context to people that don't know, Rask had a 0-9-3 record against the Habs at home, the bruins have struggled massively against the Habs in general the past 3 seasons (I think we've won maybe 4 games against them in that span)
The bruins have a terrible home record the past year and a half, and they've struggled to score

Ya the coaching change has something to do with it but I think the jig is up in Le Poutineville

They'll be a first or second round out

Especially if they have to play the rangers

Their best bet honestly is falling to 2 and having to play Toronto or Boston

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
The habs are playoff contenders, not Stanley cup contenders. They just have too many hole at center, wing and D. They would need to trade all 2 or 3 good (McCarron, Julssen, Serg, {spelling off Im sure}) prospects they have to 'go for it' this year.
I still think Price is the best goalie in the world and can elevate his game, but they need more top end help to compete with Washington & Pittsburg.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Don't think there is much depth, they are weak at center. Few players expected to step up haven't done so.

An elite goaltender can only do so much, it isn't on Carey. Answer to OP, no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad