Are the Habs contenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
As a Habs fan, I understand the skepticism behind the team's performance. Last season the team went 18-4-3 with Condon starting 13 games and them leading in almost every category. They may very well make the playoffs (not really a feat with Price) but until they have some legitimate playoff success, it's hard to take them seriously. Looking at the Tampas and the Rangers, they have guys who've proven to be playoff performers. Habs have no one.

They are all Price. Even management concedes this as fact, he is the face of the franchise.

Price is that good. No matter who we have one the team it will always be Price. We had Norris winning PK and it's all price. We has 37 and 39 goal scoring Max and it's all price.

Now we have Weber and Radulov and it's still all price. When you have a generational talent he is going to be the franchise and center of attention for the team.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Anyone who writes with a straight face, "The Habs are not dominating the NHL right now", and then gives an artificial list of over/under .500 teams, loses all rights to accuse others of being pedantic.

By my count you've gotten one (and only one) thing right: The Habs have indeed played nine games.

Sorry that you don't like being told that the Habs have pathetic centre depth and organizational depth and that their D is slow. And when the truth hurts you try pedantics.

The fact that the Canadiens have played 9 games is not an obscure fact or detail. Thus he was not being pedantic (which is an adjective by the way, not a noun).

But carry on.

You're often good for a :laugh: .

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Their shooting percentage is a bit high so that should regress, and I doubt they'll keep a .955 team save percentage the whole year, but even if the shooting % regresses back to the norm they should be a top 4 team in the East. Can absolutely win it all

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
In what type of La-La Land are you living ?

They've been outshot in 5 games out of 9 so far.

Over these 9 games, they've been outshot by 14 shots...

Why are you misrepresenting facts that can be easily verified ?

During the Leafs game they stated that the Leafs to this point were a combined + 40 for shots over the course of the season and that Montreal was - 40 for shots over the course of the season. Not my info it was HNIC that stated it. Not misrepresenting anything. I was remarking on what was said in HNIC.

As you can see it doesn't really matter as the Leafs are outshooting teams and still losing. That being said being out shot 5 of 9 games is not anything to brag about.

And it is certainly not a testament to being a great team. Great teams play great most of the time. Not just 1 or 2 players.

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
Lol he was over .920 until the last month. You'll see how the team stumbled in the last month of that season.

It was the entire year tbh but it was a short season and when this happens, save % will be average.

2013-02-09: 6 goals against him
2013-03-02: 7
2013-03-05: 5
2013-04-15: 6
2013-04-20: 5

You can add another three games of 4 goals in that season.

On 38 starts, thats 8 games you give between 4 and 7.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Lol he was over .920 until the last month. You'll see how the team stumbled in the last month of that season.

Actually no. He was ,924 in his first 16 games spanning from the start of the season at the end of January till the end of February. He played horrific in the following 23 starts, playing close to ,900 in March which brought his average down to ,915 at the end of March, and then played under ,900 in April which brought down his average further down to ,905 to finish the season.

Subban was the reason they finished much higher than they should have.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I still question their defensive depth and botton 6. But, Price being the goalie he is can erase that deficit.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I still question their defensive depth and botton 6. But, Price being the goalie he is can erase that deficit.

Actually, the concern would be a top 2 C, and a LD to play with weber. Montreal's 4th line, and bottom pairing D are just fine. With those acquisitions, its hard to poke any holes in the team.

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
Sorry that you don't like being told that the Habs have pathetic centre depth and organizational depth and that their D is slow. And when the truth hurts you try pedantics.

They have center depth. They lack a high-end center. Desharnais, Galchenyuk and Plekanec are all 2C(except Desharnais who may even be a 3C now) with only Galchenyuk having the potential to be a 1C.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's nice to put some points in the bank early.

It's hard to draw conclusions so early in the season, but it's hard to take issue with their start.

Can't ask for a better start from Price and Weber.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
They have center depth. They lack a high-end center. Desharnais, Galchenyuk and Plekanec are all 2C(except Desharnais who may even be a 3C now) with only Galchenyuk having the potential to be a 1C.

Hmm. I disagree a bit.

Galchenyuk is a low end #1 or high end #2. I think he has the potential to be much better though

Plek is a mid range #2.

Desharnais is not a legit #2 imo. He's a guy that can fill in as #2 but shouldn't be there long. He is a #3 and a very good one at that.

fufonzo

Feb 28, 2004
During the Leafs game they stated that the Leafs to this point were a combined + 40 for shots over the course of the season and that Montreal was - 40 for shots over the course of the season. Not my info it was HNIC that stated it. Not misrepresenting anything. I was remarking on what was said in HNIC.

As you can see it doesn't really matter as the Leafs are outshooting teams and still losing. That being said being out shot 5 of 9 games is not anything to brag about.

And it is certainly not a testament to being a great team. Great teams play great most of the time. Not just 1 or 2 players.

Ya, the shot differential is perhaps a bit worrying, but I'd be curious to see how much of that is because the Habs already have a lead.

I feel like it's often the case that if a team gets the lead they sit back a little more defensively and get outshot. Therrien's system seems to rely on that a bit more than others, it seems. Generally, they do pretty well at keeping the shot quality down and Price does well at making those routine stops.

I haven't watched the Leafs game but I've caught a decent chunk of the season so far, and I haven't really felt that the Habs were completely outmatched and needed Price to 'steal' the game (to clarify: he's been our top contributor for sure, but don't think we've had one where we had no business winning).

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Ya, the shot differential is perhaps a bit worrying, but I'd be curious to see how much of that is because the Habs already have a lead.

I feel like it's often the case that if a team gets the lead they sit back a little more defensively and get outshot. Therrien's system seems to rely on that a bit more than others, it seems. Generally, they do pretty well at keeping the shot quality down and Price does well at making those routine stops.

I haven't watched the Leafs game but I've caught a decent chunk of the season so far, and I haven't really felt that the Habs were completely outmatched and needed Price to 'steal' the game (to clarify: he's been our top contributor for sure, but don't think we've had one where we had no business winning).

Habs' defence was erratic against Toronto but, to be fair, the Leafs forwards were really good. There were goalie heroics on both sides so it's hard to say what the score would've been without amazing saves by Price and Andersen. Not that a single game defines either team, but it was well-fought and close.

bogolisk

Oct 4, 2008
Ottawa
Habs needs a legit 2C. Plek and DD can be 2C in the regular season but not in the playoffs. There's no time nor space in the playoffs. Plek lacks vision and DD lacks speed/shot. Neither has size/strength.

Until they got a legit 2C, Habs are... contenders for the President trophy but not the Stanley Cup.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
They're contenders, but their reliance on Price is bad, one injury away from bottom 10 (like last season). I don't think Montoya is that good to replace Price and lift a team on his shoulders like Price does, long term, just like Condon.

Their centre depth sucks, their top 6 is thin, their AHL team is terrible and the young players that could come help the team aren't projected top 6 material. They have no top pairing LHD and after Pateryn / Barberio their depth D is terrible, untill Sergachev / Juulsen are NHL ready.

I've said for years that MB isn't good at building up an NHL team. He said he's building through the draft and have got nothing to show for it. I'm even starting to doubt Lehkonen. After a hot preseason, he's cooled down and he dosen't look like a top6 winger.

Last edited:

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
I've said for years that MB isn't good at building up an NHL team. He said he's building through the draft and have got nothing to show for it. I'm even starting to doubt Lehkonen. After a hot preseason, he's cooled down and he dosen't look like a top6 winger.

Given that the Montreal Canadiens is the first team to be managed by Bergevin, it's really hard to acknowledge any of the arguments that he's a bad GM when taking into account the success of the team since he took over :

2012-2013 ; 4th in the league // Lost in round 1
2013-2014 ; 10th in the league // ECF
2014-2015 ; 2nd in the league // Lost in round 2
2015-2016 ; 22nd in the league // Out of playoffs

Add to the fact that Montreal has been drafting low except for two years in his tenure, it's really difficult to imagine what he could have done more.

''Building through the draft'' also implies that you avoid trading your young players. Montreal's core (Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Price) have all been developped within the organization and are top players at their position.

I also find quite ironic that you argue that MB is a bad GM while mentionning that the Habs are contenders. Let's remember that Bergevin became GM just after a disastrous season where they finished 28th, just above the lowly Oilers.

I agree with some of your points though (center depth, LHD).

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014

I see Montreal in the 2nd tier of teams in the east probably 3rd or 4th in the east as far as contenders for a cup go. Doesn't mean they can't surprise or be any better but again its 9 games. I would still call Pittsburgh with a healthy Sid the pick for the east.

Either way it's going to be a far better season than last year for Habs fans.

useless

Feb 2, 2011
Seems like habs fans are tapping the glass, I don't blame them. Buuuttt, I remember these threads last year right before the collapse.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Seems like habs fans are tapping the glass, I don't blame them. Buuuttt, I remember these threads last year right before the collapse.

So do we.....trust me. I don't think many Habs fans are taking this start for granted. We are happy, but we are all holding our breath.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009

Collapse happened after Price was injured. Assuming he remains healthy then I believe they are contenders. Do they have the perfect team, no however Price can steal a series or two which makes them legit contenders.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Habs needs a legit 2C. Plek and DD can be 2C in the regular season but not in the playoffs. There's no time nor space in the playoffs. Plek lacks vision and DD lacks speed/shot. Neither has size/strength.

Until they got a legit 2C, Habs are... contenders for the President trophy but not the Stanley Cup.

Can a team win the Presidents Trophy and not be among the contenders?

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
To be honest, I think if you replaced almost any bottom teams goalie with Price and top d-man with S. Weber, even if their d-man is > Weber, it would make them at least a playoff team, potentially a contender.

Whether or not that teams current best d-man is better than Weber, Price is a franchise goalie, probably the most elite in the league currently. When you add a guy like Weber who brings a lot of elements defensively with a booming slapper for the PP, naturally it will improve pretty much any team to the point of playoff contention.

Price can steal games, and with Weber in front of him half the game it only makes it even harder to score on him. I loved having Subban, but even the biggest detractor of that trade simply cannot deny that having Weber in front of Price for 30 mins a game vs Subban makes it a lot easier for Price to steal games.

So as long as those two players are healthy, I think we will make the playoffs. So long as those two players are healthy and our better offensive forwards remain healthy too, I think we can contend for the cup. Of course it's early in the season but even if we weren't 8-0-1 and were instead 4-4-1 I do believe the games would've been really tight losses, like 2-1, 3-2 etc and Price/Montoya would still be doing okay statistically, because of having a rock in Shea Weber in front of them.

Weber out west was solid but he played against a ton of big teams night after night not very many of which were soft. On the east, he plays against a lot of soft forwards. I've seen time and time again already in this short season forwards shying away from going after pucks in corners or the front of the net simply because of his presence, where in contrast time and time again players would fight those battles against Subban.

If you gave Arizona Price instead of their #1 goalie and Weber even instead of OEL, I think they're a playoff team this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad