Are the Habs contenders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Sounds like his point is that anyone who thinks they KNOW at this point, is probably getting ahead of themselves for no reason.

I added a PS to that post you quoted.

I'll copy it for simplicity sake.

(...)
PS: You might not have noted that I never wrote that they were in the Top 5 contenders. But I can't believe the number of posters who refuse to admit that they're a good team and simply spew hate. I'm simply trying to keep people honest. I'll have to admit that I feel like the little Dutch boy who had his finger in a dike...

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
One was the MVP of the league the season before.
The other was and still is the engine that gets the team going (who believe it or not, has become on Patches level in terms of goal scoring).

Those are literally the 2 worst injuries that can happen to the team and they happened within a span of a week. A killer.

There was a third significant injury. Jeff Petry who is the team's #2 defenceman (in terms of importance, he surpassed Markov).

Add those three back, plus Radulov, plus add Shaw and Weber, remove Eller and Subban, and yes I think they are contenders.

Remember that in 2014 they were in the conference finals, in 2015 they got 110 points and lost a close series to tampa.

The aberration here is December - April last season, not everything else.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The Habs goaltending from November 27th (the day after Price's injury) to the end of last season was a .901 save percentage.

Over the full season, this would have been the 29th ranked team save percentage in the league (Calgary was the only team worse).

NHL average goaltending in 2015-16 was .917.

That's a difference of 28 goals against between the goaltending the Habs had and league average.

Let's remember that even without Carey Price, if they got league average goaltending... they would have been a playoff team. (28 goals difference... were 11 points out of playoffs).

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The Habs goaltending from November 27th (the day after Price's injury) to the end of last season was a .901 save percentage.

Over the full season, this would have been the 29th ranked team save percentage in the league (Calgary was the only team worse).

NHL average goaltending in 2015-16 was .917.

That's a difference of 28 goals against between the goaltending the Habs had and league average.

Let's remember that even without Carey Price, if they got league average goaltending... they would have been a playoff team. (28 goals difference... were 11 points out of playoffs).

Excuses. Price finished with a ,905 save% in 12-13 and despite this, habs finished top 5 in the league.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Most likely candidate to come back down to Earth...and then some. Remind me of last year's Rangers.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Excuses. Price finished with a ,905 save% in 12-13 and despite this, habs finished top 5 in the league.

Wasn't an excuse, just an illustration of exactly how bad the goaltending the Habs got last year was in comparison to league average.

Fact is the failure to have an adequate backup is something that Habs management must bear the responsibility for. It doesn't excuse them at all.

Of course this is another area the roster is improved this year. Montoya is much better than Condon/Scrivens.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Must I conclude that you believe that Montoya is no better than Condon ?

If not...

PS: You might not have noted that I never wrote that they were in the Top 5 contenders. But I can't believe the number of posters who refuse to admit that they're a good team and simply spew hate. I'm simply trying to keep people honest. I'll have to admit that I feel like the little Dutch boy who had his finger in a dike...

I'm not sure if Montoya is better than Condon or not. Condon has only played one season in the NHL, but was terrible in doing so. Maybe he can be better than what we saw last year? Need to see more from him.

As of now, Montoya is better. Montoya is the type of backup that's play seems to be inconsistent from year to year. He was horrific in the 14-15 season for the Panthers, yet was pretty good last year. There's quite a few backups like this around the league that fluctuate from year to year. Enroth, Johnson, Greiss, Reimer, probably forgetting a few others.

Kennedys

Jul 22, 2015
Saguenay
I'm a habs fan but i'm still not sure if this team is legit or not. Will need more than 9 games to get an opinion but for now i'm enjoying the ride hehe

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No they are not, when price goes down the team gets exposed for what it really is, a bottom feeder.

Hey Sherlock, any team with the worst goaltending in the league (in terms of results) will be a bottom feeder...

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If they play like they did against the Leafs on Saturday, or even against the Flyers last Monday, they aren't going anywhere.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
We need a legit 2C and a top pairing LHD to be considered a real contender. Who knows what can happen if Price plays out of his mind in the playoffs.. but we still have big holes on our roster.

Top pairing LHD is our biggest need.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
If they play like they did against the Leafs on Saturday, or even against the Flyers last Monday, they aren't going anywhere.

This is what bothers me. The team plays a poor game against the Leafs - which seems to be about the only time anyone from HFBoards bothers to watch them - and draw conclusions.

Every team has games where they don't look great. Overall, the team is very solid. And the "they're all Price" narrative is one of the biggest loads of drivel ever perpetrated on these boards.

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
The Habs are not dominating the NHL right now - they've won 5 against .500-or-less teams. Spewing nonsense? Refute me.

Having played 9 games the habs are currently first in the NHL. You cannot state that they are not dominating the league and then go on to try to justify that using other teams stats for the same amount of games. If you believe 9 games is not enough to draw a conclusion for Montreal's strength then the same must be said for the records of all other teams as well. You can't just pick and choose what you feel makes your strongest argument when it's logically invalid.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Not unless/until they get a #1 C.
They have one. The trouble is, the coach probably still doesn't really believe in him as #1C and would much rather put his beloved midget pet back there instead.

We saw this movie last year. "Hot start, OMG, Habs are legit!" Fell to pieces when they hit adversity, and it doesn't take long when things start to go south for Therrien to start actively making things worse with his pointless line blending and throwing players under his bus.

They'll make the playoffs & win a round, and unless Price steals a second one, that's as far as Therrien can take them.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You mean find a way to win games they should lose ?

Finding ways to win games that should've been losses is usually the mark of a great team, I'll give you that.

Finding ways to win games that should've been losses against non-playoffs or fringe playoffs team is an issue, however.

This is what bothers me. The team plays a poor game against the Leafs - which seems to be about the only time anyone from HFBoards bothers to watch them - and draw conclusions.

Every team has games where they don't look great. Overall, the team is very solid. And the "they're all Price" narrative is one of the biggest loads of drivel ever perpetrated on these boards.

I've seen every Habs games this season (at least, partially seen). I don't think it was your argument, but I figured I'd adress it instead.

Sometimes, teams will lose when playing a great game, and sometimes, they'll win while playing a great game, regardless of goaltending. The first never happened this season so far (the loss against the Sens was far from from a "good" game, or even an "average" game), and the second happened at least twice. I'm not saying the Leafs deserved a win on Saturday : goaltending is not an extraneous variable, and Price vs. Andersen is a terrible mismatch (Andersen wasn't even bad), but Montreal didn't play like a winning team either.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
As a Habs fan, I understand the skepticism behind the team's performance. Last season the team went 18-4-3 with Condon starting 13 games and them leading in almost every category. They may very well make the playoffs (not really a feat with Price) but until they have some legitimate playoff success, it's hard to take them seriously. Looking at the Tampas and the Rangers, they have guys who've proven to be playoff performers. Habs have no one.

They are all Price. Even management concedes this as fact, he is the face of the franchise.

Last edited:

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
As a Habs fan, I understand the skepticism behind the team's performance. Last season the team went 18-4-3 with Condon starting 13 games and them leading in almost every category. They may very well make the playoffs (not really a feat with Price) but until they have some legitimate playoff success, it's hard to take them seriously. Looking at the Tampas and the Rangers, they have guys who've proven to be playoff performers. Habs have no one.

They are all Price. Even management concedes this as fact, he is the face of the franchise.

No doubt (though I disagree with them being all Price). There's also the fact that half of Montreals D corps and goalie was in the World Cup. I'm pretty sure that helped them fly out of the gate quicker. Other teams are going to adjust to the Habs too and it will get very tough. I do think they have the team to make the playoffs though. I also like the forwards a lot more this year. Scoring seems to be more balanced throughout the forwards. Good start, we'll see how it goes from here.

But yes, ridiculously early to talk about contenders right now.

Last edited:

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
If Price (who's the best and most valuable player in the NHL in my opinion) stays healthy - yes. They are a much better team overall with a legit emergence of Galchenyak, and additions of Radulov and Webber. I love PK, but Weber brings something different to the team - and I like the quality that he adds.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Sorry that you don't like being told that the Habs have pathetic centre depth and organizational depth and that their D is slow. And when the truth hurts you try pedantics.

You'll discover that truth doesn't hurt at all once you try using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad