Are the Canucks the unluckiest team in the league?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Never had a #1 draft pick, never won a cup, despite being one game away twice, I'd think so.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
And I hope it continues forever, I have nothing bad to say about any other franchise but I LOVE watching the Canucks fail, it is one of my favourite things about sports. Watching them draft no hockey IQ Jake Virtanen and I laughed and laughed, Joulovi or however you spell it, HA what a choke job with Tkachuk sitting there, Eriksson, Ganger LOL, thinking that pylon Gufbranson is an NHL player, getting nothing for Hamhuis, goalie chaos, riots, Sedins refusing to try to win and rather going home cupless instead of being traded to a contender, Bertuzzi going psycho when they had a shot at the cup, Dave Nonis, it’s been great. Jim Benning is icing on the cake. they ruined a great cup window with Booth, Ballard contracts. Imagine if they spent that 8+ million better.
Rich...

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Other than not getting high picks, nothing else on that list is unlucky. That’s just brutal management lol

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
The draft is a crap shoot for every team that is a part of the lottery, there's no way it'll change and it shouldn't. If anything, teams that get a 1st OA, should be banned from picking 1st OA for 3yrs to deter the same team from "winning" that lottery for sucking.

And luck has nothing to do with it, there are plenty of things that they've gotten away with too, it's just the way it is. You don't work hard enough, you don't get far enough. There's also far too many hands in the pot with ownership, etc, controlling what happens to the team.

You won't get far when Ownership is too much into the team's on ice operations and then pretends they are not.
I will agree with a comment like this until the end of time.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I don't get the whole Canucks luck thing. We all have our fair share of misfortunes. Much of Canucks current issues stems from inept management, and poor ownership directive.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Honestly the majority of those issues just smell like bad management

It's both. Bad management and bad luck for the Canucks. Bad management drafts poorly, makes poor trades, signs bad free agents, etc. And in the odd years where they do build a contender, then the bad luck takes over - Lafayette hits the post, Cloutier lets one in from center ice, untimely injuries. They really take the cake.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
You're confusing incompetent with unlucky, but we're both and we've had a history with the latter. And any team that doesn't have a cup has put up with some shit. I'm sure I could come up with a list like this for the Blues, Sabres, Leafs, Coyotes, Sharks or Flyers as well.

- The first thing that ever happened to us in franchise history was a lottery loss.
- Our top 10 pick died when he was 21.
- Another top 10 pick tracking exceedingly well developed a breathing problem that hindered his abilities significantly.
- Despite having the worst collective record in the league the past three years, we've picked 5th, 5th and 7th.
- Consistently one of the most injured teams in the league, highlighted by having no healthy defencemen and centermen in the finals.
- Having someone with a huge bias against our team dictate the absurd Aaron Rome suspension in the finals.
- 5 Times in NHL history has a goalie posted above a .940 save percentage in the postseason. Our two best teams ever encountered two of them in back to back years.
- Being given an average of 6 Penalties/Game in the San Jose playoff series in 2013 despite being pretty even at 5v5 possession.

Will probably update later.

Last edited:

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Black Tuesday. A day in 1970 that through sheer randomness, Vancouver lost three games of chance to the Buffalo Sabres, who won the 1st overall draft pick that year, the 1st selection in the Expansion draft, and waiver priority. Buffalo selected Gilbert Perrault. Vancouver took Dale Tallon. Nothing against Dale Tallon, but Gilbert Perrault was like winning the lottery for Sidney Crosby, in a sense. To rub salt on the wound, Clarence Campbell mistakenly announced Vancouver as having the 1st selection in the amateur draft before he realized his mistake.

Luc Bourdon. Taken a pick before Anze Kopitar, Bourdon was tragically killed in a motorcycle accident in 2008.

Three finals appearances. Three finals losses. I believe 0-3 has most teams beat.

Never a top pick. Despite being dogshit for most of the 70's and really, most of the 80's, (and maybe most of the late 90's) the Canucks have never had luck on their side. Even fan favorite Trevor Linden was the 2nd pick overall behind Mike Modano. Draft lottery wasn't a thing until '93, I believe.

There's more. I'm not sure if there's other teams unluckier, but the Canucks need to be up there.

ATypicalCanadian

Apr 30, 2015
Canada
Still can't believe they gave us Bonino for Brandon Sutter :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Neither can a majority of Canucks fans.. Don't forget we added a second rounder to him too..

It's not luck. It's certain people being dumb.

Yeah that about sums it up. We have had some seemingly miracle moments at times like the Burrows trade + the Pettersson & Boeser picks, but the large part of Benning and co's tenure as GM would be perfectly summarized as "people being dumb."

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
They sure are. Got Naslund and Bert in some trade luck. Rode that wave. Got the Sedins rode a second generation wave.

Most teams would kill for two time lines like that where you replenish your top line and barely skip a beat.

They had a great run for a good..what was it? 10-12 years?

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The Habs need a word... missed out on Sid, Matthews/Laine, Dahlin/Svech, got the best player out of the worst draft in history or 2nd best wtv, etc...

Unlucky my ass.

Anyone with 24 Stanley Cup championships has nothing to say here.

So many amazing players over so long a time. The Habs aren’t unlucky... it’s just someone else’s turn.

Reactions: Captain And Coke

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1