Are Sweeping Changes Coming ?

Derp Kassian

Jul 14, 2012
Vancouver
This was what I always expected but the tone from media here is changing *really* quickly over the past week.
Aqua is asking about past trades ie. Mccann apparently. What went wrong etc. to people aside from Jim.... That lets you know all you need to. He's gonna hand FA money to a guy he doesn't trust 3 months earlier?

I think the only thing preventing anything right now is they don't have anyone lined up. The Aqua's have always met with replacements prior to action.

Reactions: PM

HSD19

Feb 19, 2009
Aqua is asking about past trades ie. Mccann apparently. What went wrong etc. to people aside from Jim.... That lets you know all you need to. He's gonna hand FA money to a guy he doesn't trust 3 months earlier?

I think the only thing preventing anything right now is they don't have anyone lined up. The Aqua's have always met with replacements prior to action.
Is he? About time....where did you here this?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

If FAQ is starting to see the stories and rumours out in the media like the "I'm guessing you'll want more than just McCann" thing, and is starting try to get a sanity check from third party, I'd say things happen sooner than later. Possibly in the days after the official end of the season if we fall completely flat as per usual.

If he's asking around the doubt is sowed and it's just a matter of time IMO.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park

How do we know he is asking around?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I haven't heard anything concrete, but based on everything Botch and others have thrown out over the last week, I'd put my educated speculation on Aquilini reaching out to Ferraro in some capacity.

The media has turned in a weird way, and very quickly, which lends me to think it's a media person that Aquilini is talking to. If it was an OBC member, they'd be floating the name out.

Reactions: Son of a Dawson

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
The Canucks before this season were supposed to be a bottom 3 team. I don't think he gets fired since this is where they are exactly supposed to be right now.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
The Canucks before this season were supposed to be a bottom 3 team. I don't think he gets fired since this is where they are exactly supposed to be right now.

There has never been alignment between where Canucks ownership and management saw the team and how the rest of the hockey world viewed them. Jim has overrated his team and his acquisitions every single year.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
I haven't heard anything concrete, but based on everything Botch and others have thrown out over the last week, I'd put my educated speculation on Aquilini reaching out to Ferraro in some capacity.

The media has turned in a weird way, and very quickly, which lends me to think it's a media person that Aquilini is talking to. If it was an OBC member, they'd be floating the name out.

Why Ferraro?

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
You know what isn't money in the bank to the owners? Struggling to sell tickets and declining viewership.

This is a really strong fairweather fanbase. Tickets and overall demand for the team is super high when they're good, and virtually nonexistent in bad stretches.
All Canadian markets are above average if you want to see dismal check out cities where hockey is not even close to being number one like Phoenix or Florida.
In Canada's third largest and very hockey mad city most usa cities would love to be so popular and sell so many tickets nightly.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver

I don't think it matters what reasoning they give for replacing or otherwise changing or even adding to the management team. When both Nonis and Gillis were replaced, I was more surprised then I will be at any time in the future when Benning gets the axe.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Some of you may remember that during the off-season I kept saying January 19th as the day Benning would get fired.

I picked that specific date randomly for fun and was obviously wrong, but my thought process behind it was:

1) Due to the situation with Linden, we can surmise that ownership wanted to "go for it" and expected to be competitive this year.
2) I felt we would be out of the playoff race by mid-January and once we fell out of the playoff race, the heat would be turned up on Benning.

January 19 was too early, as due to the crumbling Western Conference the Canucks were able to "stay in it" longer than I'd anticipated, but things seem to still be playing out in this way. The team has fallen out of the race and now I think that ownership is turning up the heat and using the media to turn on Benning in the same way that the media ran Gillis out of town.

I don't see Benning losing his job during the season at this point, but after the season? I think it's very much a possibility. I do expect the draft being in Vancouver will factor into the decision however.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
1040 guys seem pretty sure Eriksson will not be on this team next season.

I wonder if they’ll try to package Juolevi with that contract to find a taker. What a f***ing waste that would be. Similar to Edmonton shackling Poolparty to Lucic’s corpse.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I think this is fairly typical of the Vancouver media. I don’t think they start to turn through in depth analysis of a body of work. Hell most media in any market don’t do that. They start to turn when they realize there might be a changing of the guard so that they can be in the next regimes good books. So they can get the scoops for the next few years. It’s only the sycophants (iMac in this case. Before it’s been others) that are in too deep that they can’t turn.

Not convinced yet this is happening but there is definitely a theme of people asking questions about management over the past couple weeks that wasn’t present before.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

I wonder if they’ll try to package Juolevi with that contract to find a taker. What a ****ing waste that would be. Similar to Edmonton shackling Poolparty to Lucic’s corpse.

It is a buyout proof contract. He is one of the worst in the NHL, it might be currently top 2 given the terms of the contract. There is no way we ever dig ourselves out of this hole, besides some kind of hail Mary lateral move for a similarly top league most horrible contracts.

lush

@jasonlush
Sep 9, 2008
Vancouver
Better to put Eriksson onto the Comets and play Juolevi in the NHL than trade them both.
Or tell Eriksson the only way to earn his salary now is to stay in Sweden faking an LTIR injury (concussion training this summer)

But more realistically is another Benning special similar to this season (Gagner/Spooner, Guddy/Pearson)
So expect Lucic on the team next year instead.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park

I wonder if they’ll try to package Juolevi with that contract to find a taker. What a ****ing waste that would be. Similar to Edmonton shackling Poolparty to Lucic’s corpse.

I really believe he will retire. He is due a big bonus on July 1. I could really see both sides agreeing to termintae the contract at that point. The mental anguish of the hatred from Canucks fans is probably not worth it for a guy with enough money for his kids to retire. That is my guess.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC

The tone over the airwaves is certainly changing which isn't a big surprise as the team usually begins it's annual rapid decent into the NHL's basement post trade deadline.

But this time around the excuses are plenty old and its obvious that the management tandem of Benning and Weisbrod haven't a clue on how to fix this broken record.

Aqualini must be realizing that his decision not to bring in a new President and let Jim and John have free reign over the club was a major mistake as neither are qualified to run an NHL team in the first place.

Elmer's foundation was flawed from the start.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
not "meant" for public consumption but kinda well known now.

If true...it’s similar to what Linden did. Talked to people and came to the conclusion that they needed to fully commit to a rebuild. Maybe ownership will ask similar questions and realize that what Linden said is the near universal view of the team. Now again that doesn’t excuse Linden and his failures nor does that excuse his extension to Benning who he for some reason still thought could lead the team through such a rebuild (if he got his way). Linden deserved his forcing out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->