Are Sweden becoming worse?

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
If Sweden could turn up the heat and develop a few less depth players and a few more elite players, that would be great.

Elite Centers needed the most.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
As a swede - Yes is the growing feeling. We used to have amazing players (we still do) and way better D and G.

When I look at our best players and compare it to what it used to be - It is a big downgrade.

No, we are a good football country, not as great as Italy, Germany, Argentina, France and Brazil - but we are clearly historically and even present - a tier 2 team. Which is pretty damn good in a sport where most of the world are somewhat relevant.
What are you on about? I am a HUGE football fan and our team is shit and it has been shit for a long time.

I have lived in Sweden all my life (31 years) and we are getting worse by every year that passes by.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
As a swede - Yes is the growing feeling. We used to have amazing players (we still do) and way better D and G.

When I look at our best players and compare it to what it used to be - It is a big downgrade.

What are you on about? I am a HUGE football fan and our team is shit and it has been shit for a long time.

I have lived in Sweden all my life (31 years) and we are getting worse by every year that passes by.

We were the only team that beat France on their way to the victory i WC 2018. We sent Netherlands, Italy, Germany and Switzerland home. You clearly dont know history if you think we are a bad football nation. In your lifetime we have won Bronze at the WC. (1994)

It is however great timing to post this since we just dropped hard in the world rankings and have had our worst year in a long time. Isak and Kulusevski are still young, and then we might have a gem in Bardaghi (spelling?) in Copenhagen on the way.

People that thinks Sweden are bad at football are the same people that think the interest rates around the globe are high atm. Lack of memory. We were great as recent as 92-94 and 02-04.

Fact is that Sweden have more medals at the World Cup than England and Spain together.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
SWE-FIN DRAFTS 2012-2021

SWE 23 (2 x 1st rnd+4 x 2nd rnd=6)
FIN 9 (2+1=3)

TOP5
385 SWE Filip Forsberg
304 FIN Teuvo Teräväinen
200 SWE Hampus Lindholm
131 SWE Erik Gustafsson
128 FIN Olli Määttä

SWE 25 (3+6=9)
FIN 12 (2+1=3)

TOP5
465 FIN Aleksander Barkov
367 SWE Elias Lindholm
245 FIN Rasmus Ristolainen
234 SWE Andre Burakovsky
230 SWE Aleksander Wennberg

SWE 28 (2+3=5)
FIN 9 (2+1=3)

TOP5
263 SWE William Nylander
239 SWE Viktor Arvidsson
137 SWE Adrian Kempe
120 FIN Kasperi Kapanen
78 SWE Victor Olofsson

SWE 20 (3+4=7)
FIN 13 (1+3=4)

TOP5
320 FIN Sebastian Aho
316 FIN Mikko Rantanen
98 FIN Roope Hintz
96 SWE Joel Eriksson Ek
70 FIN Markus Nutivaara

SWE 25 (1+4=5)
FIN 15 (4+2=6)

TOP5
271 FIN Patrik Laine
130 SWE Jesper Bratt
62 FIN Jesse Puljujärvi
32 SWE Alexander Nylander
25 FIN Janne Kuokkanen

SWE 27 (4+4=8)
FIN 23 (6+6=12)

TOP5
153 SWE Elias Pettersson
95 FIN Miro Heiskanen
35 FIN Henri Jokiharju
25 SWE Emil Bemström
24 FIN Eeli Tolvanen

SWE 30 (6+8=14)
FIN 16 (2+1=3)

TOP5
107 SWE Rasmus Dahlin
62 FIN Jesperi Kotkaniemi
29 SWE Adam Boqvist
15 SWE Isac Lundeström
12 SWE Rasmus Sandin

SWE 26 (4+5=9)
FIN 22 (3+1=4)

TOP5
40 FIN Kaapo Kakko
27 SWE Nils Höglander
6 SWE Tobias Björnfot
5 FIN Ville Heinola
2 SWE Victor Söderström

SWE 32 (2+7=9)
FIN 17 (1+3)

SWE 23 (6+1=7)
FIN 16 (0+6=6)

2012-2021
SWE 259 (33+46=79)
FIN 152 (23+25=48)
This needs an update. My quick look shows that Sweden almost doubled the Finn's this draft... 4 first rounders vs 2 and 27 guys vs 14.

Last edited:

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
We were the only team that beat France on their way to the victory i WC 2018. We sent Netherlands, Italy, Germany and Switzerland home. You clearly dont know history if you think we are a bad football nation. In your lifetime we have won Bronze at the WC. (1994)

It is however great timing to post this since we just dropped hard in the world rankings and have had our worst year in a long time. Isak and Kulusevski are still young, and then we might have a gem in Bardaghi (spelling?) in Copenhagen on the way.

People that thinks Sweden are bad at football are the same people that think the interest rates around the globe are high atm. Lack of memory. We were great as recent as 92-94 and 02-04.

Fact is that Sweden have more medals at the World Cup than England and Spain together.

A statistic that means nothing. Uruguay too. Two of the three medals were won in the 1950s. Since 1962 Sweden has only reached the quarter-finals of the World Cup twice. Spain won 3 Euro, only one world medal but it was Gold. And these are especially much more recent performances.

Reactions: ICanMotteBelieveIt

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013

That is in the past. We have like 9 games without a win now.

And we are not a great football nation. We had a great collective, but we overperformed. And if we were so good, then we would've went far in the big tournaments since 1994.

Edit: Greece won the 2004 Euros, are they also a big football nation? They won something better than we've ever done.

Last edited:

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
That is in the past. We have like 9 games without a win now.

And we are not a great football nation. We had a great collective, but we overperformed. And if we were so good, then we would've went far in the big tournaments since 1994.

Edit: Greece won the 2004 Euros, are they also a big football nation? They won something better than we've ever done.

QF last World Cup, knocking out Germany, Netherlands, Italy and Switzerland...

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
A statistic that means nothing. Uruguay too. Two of the three medals were won in the 1950s. Since 1962 Sweden has only reached the quarter-finals of the World Cup twice. Spain won 3 Euro, only one world medal but it was Gold. And these are especially much more recent performances.

Everything is in the past and forgotten if you have the memory of a gold fish

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
Everything is in the past and forgotten if you have the memory of a gold fish

Yeah finally if you take into account the EURO, the European cups and the players who have marked the history of football, Sweden is very far behind Spain and England.

Taking just one statistic is biased knowing that in all other countries Spain and England are ahead.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Yeah finally if you take into account the EURO, the European cups and the players who have marked the history of football, Sweden is very far behind Spain and England.

Taking just one statistic is biased knowing that in all other countries Spain and England are ahead.

England have 1 more medal than us in the EUROs. We have 2 more than them in World Cup.

Individual players doesnt really matter when comparing strengths as a team.

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
England have 1 more medal than us in the EUROs. We have 2 more than them in World Cup.

Individual players doesnt really matter when comparing strengths as a team.
Yes Sweden has more World Cup medals. But in football culture, the Bronze medal doesn't matter much. Very often, teams line up substitutes. Besides, there is no Bronze medal at the EURO.

England has a qualification in 1/2 final of the World Cup of less. But 1 title that Sweden will never have. 8 eliminations in 1/4. Only 3 for Sweden.

So already, if you change the statistic by talking about victory or 1/4 final, the statistic is favorable to England.

EURO: 1 final for England, 0 for Sweden, 3 1/2 final for England, 1 for Sweden, 9 1/4 final for England, 3 1/4 final for Sweden. In addition, better results in the Nations League. FIFA ranking: England systematically ahead of Sweden since 1996 (ranking introduced in 1993) European Cups: England (31 wins, 24 finals) - Sweden (0 wins, 1 final) - even removing the Bosman stoppage (even if several victories after were with a mainly English team after) - the gap is clear .

Bye Bye Bye. Debate closed. England is a bigger soccer nation than Sweden.

• Haha
Reactions: Goodman68

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Yes Sweden has more World Cup medals. But in football culture, the Bronze medal doesn't matter much. Very often, teams line up substitutes. Besides, there is no Bronze medal at the EURO.

England has a qualification in 1/2 final of the World Cup of less. But 1 title that Sweden will never have. 8 eliminations in 1/4. Only 3 for Sweden.

So already, if you change the statistic by talking about victory or 1/4 final, the statistic is favorable to England.

EURO: 1 final for England, 0 for Sweden, 3 1/2 final for England, 1 for Sweden, 9 1/4 final for England, 3 1/4 final for Sweden. In addition, better results in the Nations League. FIFA ranking: England systematically ahead of Sweden since 1996 (ranking introduced in 1993) European Cups: England (31 wins, 24 finals) - Sweden (0 wins, 1 final) - even removing the Bosman stoppage (even if several victories after were with a mainly English team after) - the gap is clear .

This is a hockey forum after all and Sweden is MUCH bigger hockey nation than England/Uk. Claiming otherwise is pure trolling.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009

Lol, you start your first sentence with two lies and tbh your post is so ill-written that I cant even keep up. Just count the medals.

Belloco

Aug 14, 2022
Lol, you start your first sentence with two lies and tbh your post is so ill-written that I cant even keep up. Just count the medals.
England is far superior to Sweden.

Your statistics mean nothing, especially since a medal ranking takes into account above all the number of gold medals.

I forgot another stat h to h:

England 12 W Sweden 7 W 9 D England 67 goals Sweden 34 goals

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
This is a hockey forum after all and Sweden is MUCH bigger hockey nation than England/Uk. Claiming otherwise is pure trolling.
Only thing Sweden is good at is Lucas Raymond and meatballs i can´t think of any other things and i am trying really, really hard.

erikhamren

May 7, 2021
Sweden
Im not worried at all. Our 07 age group looks like it Will be elite in the future if they keeps improving. I think our 07’s now can win agaisnt any nations 03 outside of the Big 6

ranchand

Nov 5, 2022
Sweden having a hard time with developing elite scorers? Couple junior aged players i can think of that never developed like we thought; Collberg, A. nylander, lias andersson off the top of my head.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Sweden having a hard time with developing elite scorers? Couple junior aged players i can think of that never developed like we thought; Collberg, A. nylander, lias andersson off the top of my head.
Definitely a few bumps but no more than any other nation as far as 'busts' go. Eg. Finn's have JP, Juolevi and Honka that have not become elite. Czechs have Zadina, Kaut and Zboril. Canada has Hayton. I'm still waiting for Rob Schremp to tear it up for my Oil.haha Or Yakupov. That coudl be an Oil thing though.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006

Kravtsov, Denisenko, Yakupov, Grigorenko, Goldobin, Sherbak, Y.Svechnikov
Juolevi, Honka, Puljujarvi, Vesalainen, Markus Granlund, Rajala
Hayton, Glass, Jost, Steenbergen, G.Reinhart, D.Pouliot, Gormley, Anthony etc

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Kravtsov, Denisenko, Yakupov, Grigorenko, Goldobin, Sherbak, Y.Svechnikov
Juolevi, Honka, Puljujarvi, Vesalainen, Markus Granlund, Rajala
Hayton, Glass, Jost, Steenbergen, G.Reinhart, D.Pouliot, Gormley, Anthony etc
It's really a shame for the Finn's because IF Juolevi and Honka had become legit 1D NHL options than the Finn's would be off the chart as their D doesn't match Canada, USA and Sweden today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad