Are Russian forwards among the best in the World?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

Didn't they actually play him as a defender at times during his later years? :D Which is pretty crazy as we're talking about a guy who on his career best year offensively had 120 points (56 goals) 2nd only to Gretzky in scoring in the league... but less crazy when you take into account that while putting up those numbers he played strong enough defensive game to win the Selke. Amazing player.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Didn't they actually play him as a defender at times during his later years? :D Which is pretty crazy as we're talking about a guy who on his career best year offensively had 120 points (56 goals) 2nd only to Gretzky in scoring in the league... but less crazy when you take into account that while putting up those numbers he played strong enough defensive game to win the Selke. Amazing player.

Yeah. Sort of wish he was traded after his second Selke, ie while still in his prime, so we could see him win more awards while being "the man" on his own team. Instead he missed a year of his prime due to a contract dispute, and then was just (arguably the main) cog in Detroits powerhouse dynasty.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015

Skill wise, Fedorov was basically a pre injury Karlsson who could play anywhere on the ice and close to everywhere (at the same time lol). Karlsson's superior hockey IQ is what sets him apart and is why he'll go down as the greater player by a big margin when its all said and done.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Skill wise, Fedorov was basically a pre injury Karlsson who could play anywhere on the ice and close to everywhere (at the same time lol). Karlsson's superior hockey IQ is what sets him apart and is why he'll go down as the greater player by a big margin when its all said and done.

What does Karlsson have to do with anything?

You need to give it a rest bro.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
It is silly to stereotype by nationality. There are tenacious Russians, skilled Americans and Canadians that are not the total package.

Such a stereotype-driven approach to the game. Really simplistic. Amazing that it still exists.

The question in the op literally asks you to stereotype by nationality

Im saying on average. Would also say thats why 67% of the NHL is Canadian players. It doesnt have to be a negative thing. Just an observation of years of watching hockey.

Take Kuzy for example, I would say his skill level is off the chart but his willingness to do the little things in the corners, battles is where his game lacks.

Take Kesler for example, I would say he works as hard as any other player but his skill level would be above average for an american player but really middle of the pack for a canadian player.

also why IMO Canada leaves enough players at home every Olympics that could be put together as a team and still win the Olympics.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
They aren't among the best, they are the best.

Not a chance they are better than Canada. Not at the high end (I'll take Crosby, McDavid, Seguin, etc. over Ovi and co.), depth, or two-way play.

But yeah, they are likely 2nd.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Great scoring talents, but not necessarily winning forwards, perhaps?
Obviously hockey is a team game, but I'm not even talking about just at the NHL level. While it's not the forward's fault that Russia lacks great depth in their defense, they don't play enough of a 2-way game to help compensate and overcome their weaknesses, regardless of their pure offensive prowess.

Datsyuk? Fedorov?

Malkin has the best imo run by a forward in the playoffs since the lockout and the Pens don't win without him.

HansonBro

May 3, 2006
[MOD]There's only so many country's that compete well at the International level so of course they are...

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
That's never been in question. They've always been the closest to Canada. The biggest issue I see with the Russians is that they have too many "star" guys on offence. Too many guys that have to be "the" guy to play to their best. That makes them lesser than the sum of their parts, imo. Still though, I'm excited to see the future of Russian hockey. Hoping to spend a week in Russia in June. Unfortunately I'll get to St. Petersburg/Moscow too late to see a KHL game. I wanted to see my favourite player growing up - Kovalchuk (or all time - Fedorov [now a GM]). :cry:

Dod93Cityt

Do You Believe In Ghosts?
Aug 29, 2012
Canada
But those are brown :help:

What-to-do-with-overripe-bananas-630x472.jpg

:dunno:

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Not a chance they are better than Canada. Not at the high end (I'll take Crosby, McDavid, Seguin, etc. over Ovi and co.), depth, or two-way play.

But yeah, they are likely 2nd.
[MOD] 'Ovi and Co.' includes Malkin, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Panarin, Radulov and Kuznetsov. Not a bad group.

Last edited by a moderator:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This is such a dumb thread, but I'll bite. 'Ovi and Co.' includes Malkin, Kucherov, Tarasenko, Panarin, Radulov and Kuznetsov. Not a bad group.

At the top elite end Canada matches with: Crosby, McDavid, Seguin, Benn, etc. at the top. In the depth Canada adds players Marchand, Giroux, Bergeron, Carter. At the bottom depth Scheifele, Toews, Perry, Getzlaf, etc.

Top end through depth Canada is ahead, add in better two-way play across the board and Canada is ahead.

Not to say Russia doesn't have dynamic and explosive forwards themselves and of course they are among the best in the world, probably 2nd. However, they aren't ahead of Canada.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad