Are Russian forwards among the best in the World?

Aug 3, 2010
Great scoring talents, but not necessarily winning forwards, perhaps?
Obviously hockey is a team game, but I'm not even talking about just at the NHL level. While it's not the forward's fault that Russia lacks great depth in their defense, they don't play enough of a 2-way game to help compensate and overcome their weaknesses, regardless of their pure offensive prowess.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Obviously. On a good day they can fight even Canada in scoring power.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Great scoring talents, but not necessarily winning forwards, perhaps?
Obviously hockey is a team game, but I'm not even talking about just at the NHL level. While it's not the forward's fault that Russia lacks great depth in their defense, they don't play enough of a 2-way game to help compensate and overcome their weaknesses, regardless of their pure offensive prowess.

The two best two-way forwards of the last 25 years have been Russian.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
They have among the best combination of speed, skill, shooting, and power of any players

but they lack the two way play, defensive awareness, and board play and hard work of the canadian boys even if they dont have the talent they outwork and outsmart them

canadians are stoic and poised and russians tend to be tempermental

in the world juniors the systems arent as strong so the russian teams are sick i must say they dominate in these types of games

McBaevid

Lottery Dynasty
Oct 3, 2010
Edmonton, AB
They've always had some of the best offensive players in the world, their problem has always come from having their forwards weaker on the defensive side and their defence/goaltending being weak

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
"Among the best in the World" is covering a bit too much in the world of hockey.

Are they still second best?

Without having reflected much about it the Americans might soon be in a position to say they got better forwards than the Russians. Not sure if that has happened before.

As of today I would say second best. Followed by USA and Sweden. A bit surprised that quite a few of the Swedish fairly young forwards, slowly and without much attention, have established themselves as solid forwards - if not superstars yet. Finland and Czech Republic struggling at the moment having close to no depth behind the top 2-3 players.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
This is just my opinion but have thought this for a while.

Russians: All the skill in the world, more so then Canadians in some ways but not enough
ferocity to their game.

US: Lower on the skill level then Canadians and Russians but lots of ferocity and heart

Candians: Total package.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Russians: All the skill in the world, more so then Canadians in some ways but not enough
ferocity to their game.

US: Lower on the skill level then Canadians and Russians but lots of ferocity and heart

It is silly to stereotype by nationality. There are tenacious Russians, skilled Americans and Canadians that are not the total package.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC

ferocity to their game.

Such a stereotype-driven approach to the game. Really simplistic. Amazing that it still exists.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I don't know, but what I do know is that Radulov is a total beast, and we are goddamn happy to have him in Montreal

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
They have among the best combination of speed, skill, shooting, and power of any players

but they lack the two way play, defensive awareness, and board play and hard work of the canadian boys even if they dont have the talent they outwork and outsmart them

canadians are stoic and poised and russians tend to be tempermental

in the world juniors the systems arent as strong so the russian teams are sick i must say they dominate in these types of games

I think this is fairly outdated. The Canadians are now the most talented teams. This is evident from this past World Cup as Canada DOMINATED their opponents and the North American team showed the immense skill Canada will have to offer for years to come from people like MacKinnon, McDavid, etc. The old Soviet teams with BOATLOADS of skill are a thing of the past. Whereas the soviet teams played a style of puck possession until they generated a Grade-A scoring chance, Russian teams now shoot from wherever and play with next to no flow or style.

As well, I think there are many Russians in contemporary times who do play a very gritty, blue collar two-way style. Look no further than Artem Anisimov of the Chicago Blackhawks. As well, there is Lyubimov and Kulemin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad