Are Russian forwards among the best in the World?

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Hopefully, they add some quality to the backline in coming years.

There are some interesting young d-men and plenty of them, but most still need work.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
At the top elite end Canada matches with: Crosby, McDavid, Seguin, Benn, etc. at the top. In the depth Canada adds players Marchand, Giroux, Bergeron, Carter. At the bottom depth Scheifele, Toews, Perry, Getzlaf, etc.

Top end through depth Canada is ahead, add in better two-way play across the board and Canada is ahead.
I was responding to 'at the top' comment, sorry I didn't make that more clear. So can you please clarify the etc. in 'Crosby, McDavid, Seguin, Benn, etc."?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I was responding to 'at the top' comment, sorry I didn't make that more clear. So can you please clarify the etc. in 'Crosby, McDavid, Seguin, Benn, etc."?

Oh I see fair enough.

Top end vs. Top end is closer than comparing depth. How do you rank the Russian players, who do you have #1-4 or 1-5?

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Oh I see fair enough.

Top end vs. Top end is closer than comparing depth. How do you rank the Russian players, who do you have #1-4 or 1-5?
The Russians don't have nearly the depth Canada has in forwards - it's not even close. But they are exceptionally strong at the top. Ovi's on a decline, but Kucherov, Tarasenko and Panarin are monstrous. My rank: 1. Kucherov (explosive 2-way forward who makes everyone around him better; Russian Crosby); 2/3 tie Tarasenko & Panarin; 4. Malkin; 5. Radulov; 6. Ovechkin (sorry Ovi, just going by this year). If I am starting a team right now, the two players I want the most are McDavid and Kucherov.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
No country compares to Canada right now. They can put out just as much skill, with more depth, and better compete level.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't normally watch European players, but when I do, I prefer Finns.

-The Most Interesting Hockey Fan in the World-

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
Nope, at least not the generation prior to the newest one. They (ovechkin, malkin, etc) did not get it done in best on best. Not even close as theyve just been repeatedly humiliated. Maybe the newer generation will be able to improve upon that (not hard)

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The Russians don't have nearly the depth Canada has in forwards - it's not even close. But they are exceptionally strong at the top. Ovi's on a decline, but Kucherov, Tarasenko and Panarin are monstrous. My rank: 1. Kucherov (explosive 2-way forward who makes everyone around him better; Russian Crosby); 2/3 tie Tarasenko & Panarin; 4. Malkin; 5. Radulov; 6. Ovechkin (sorry Ovi, just going by this year). If I am starting a team right now, the two players I want the most are McDavid and Kucherov.

I don't see how you consider those 3 better than Malkin right now. He's had a higher points per game than all 3 every season of their careers as well as this current season. I've been saying this for a while, Malkin is the best Russian player and has been since 2010 excluding stretches of goal scoring dominance by Ovechkin and when he was injured or not playing 100%.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I don't see how you consider those 3 better than Malkin right now. He's had a higher points per game than all 3 every season of their careers as well as this current season. I've been saying this for a while, Malkin is the best Russian player and has been since 2010 excluding stretches of goal scoring dominance by Ovechkin and when he was injured or not playing 100%.

So pretty much all the time?

Last edited by a moderator:

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Malkin is underrated for a number of reasons, mostly playing with/behind Crosby. However, Malkin's inability to stay healthy and play at 100% is a factor in my personal rankings. Some people may look at players, and base their evaluation purely on their peak ability and statistics. There is nothing wrong with that either.

ToastrStutzle

Feb 1, 2016
Ottawa
...................................yes they are

pretty sure that's a unanimous opinion.

what is the point of this thread?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
So pretty much all the time?

I'm referring to the few stretches where Ovechkin was scoring nearly a goal per game, and the games Malkin has missed, which would add up to less than half the time.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
In the coming years, Russia vs USA forwards will be very close with the emergence of Matthews, Eichel, Gaudreau etc..

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I feel like this thread title is a little poorly thought out. There's only like 4-5 countries you could count as major producers of NHL talent, so of course Russian forwards are among the best, Russia being one of those countries. What is actually to be discussed here?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Great scoring talents, but not necessarily winning forwards, perhaps?
Obviously hockey is a team game, but I'm not even talking about just at the NHL level. While it's not the forward's fault that Russia lacks great depth in their defense, they don't play enough of a 2-way game to help compensate and overcome their weaknesses, regardless of their pure offensive prowess.

Among current players, maybe.

But Datsyuk and Fedorov were incredible 2 way players. Russia has produced those types of forwards before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad