Are penalties in the playoffs different?

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Makes the league look really bad
every single hockey league from minor hockey to pro calls a looser game in the playoffs. 50/50 calls dont get called only real blatant penalties that have an obvious effect on the game

Last edited:

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
I don't believe the best team wins the Cup. Didn't think the Penguins were the best team this year, and don't think the Capitals or Knights are the best this year.

Winning a Stanley Cup takes an astronomical amount of luck. It is far more luck oriented than the NBA, MLB and NFL. Players shoot the puck, hoping it goes in off someone's ass, and that can be the game winning goal of the series.

While I don't think NHL officiating is the worst amongst the four major sports, it's up there and they're incompetent to a large degree. Their calls/missed calls further amplify the magnitude of luck in the sport.

All the playoffs show is [a] which team got hot in May, which team was consistent, and [c] what team had the most luck.

This shows you haven't watched much in this years playoffs. Both team in the finals should have won every series. Hell the caps should have beat the lightning in 5.

The caps have been the best team in the playoffs this year.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
You just discovered something nobody else ever has.
Hey, let's keep on pretending that this is OK so it keeps on happening.

Why even put the officials out there at all? Just let people murder each other and we'll get really good players out there ASAP.

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
It’s because more guys would get hurt. One reason why the playoffs are so tough is because the refs put the whistles away. At least late in the playoffs they do. This isn’t good for smaller guys unless they can skate fast and aware enough to avoid guys. There would be more allowed interference like the one you saw Wilson did on March and Girardi did on Ovi. All the other things players do at this time of year that go uncalled can be dangerous.

I think a reason why it’s more exciting for me is because of what is at stake and doesn’t have much to do with the refs putting the whistles away. However I think late in the playoffs it makes sense that they put them away. I don’t think it makes sense to do it this way during the regular season. It kind of adds another thing that you’re team has to overcome. Like I think the Lightning need to add a little more size to go with their speed. They get eaten up in the playoffs when the refs put the whistles away. They just haven’t been able to get past these last stages. Good enough to get there with their skill, not tough enough to get past it.
This is a terrible take

NYCGroundhog

Mar 22, 2015
It’s because more guys would get hurt. One reason why the playoffs are so tough is because the refs put the whistles away. At least late in the playoffs they do. This isn’t good for smaller guys unless they can skate fast and aware enough to avoid guys. There would be more allowed interference like the one you saw Wilson did on March and Girardi did on Ovi. All the other things players do at this time of year that go uncalled can be dangerous.

I think a reason why it’s more exciting for me is because of what is at stake and doesn’t have much to do with the refs putting the whistles away. However I think late in the playoffs it makes sense that they put them away. I don’t think it makes sense to do it this way during the regular season. It kind of adds another thing that you’re team has to overcome. Like I think the Lightning need to add a little more size to go with their speed. They get eaten up in the playoffs when the refs put the whistles away. They just haven’t been able to get past these last stages. Good enough to get there with their skill, not tough enough to get past it.
The Lightning needed to add players that weren't NYR burnouts.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
They don't call anything else, I'd prefer to see them ease up offsides. At least that creates more excitement. Most uncalled penalties take away from exciting opportunities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad