Are penalties in the playoffs different?

Grover

Jul 8, 2012
Minnesota
There'es always been the assumption that the NHL calls penalties in the playoffs differently than in the regular season...personally I think it's bullshit that a penalty call can differ between playoffs and the regular season...a penalty is a penalty period.... why do the rules change once the playoffs start?

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
These guys don't want to decide games. (And ironically they usually do by not trying to decide games.)

threeblindrefs.jpg

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
I guess you don't watch the playoffs then. Yes, the game is called differently in the post season. What would be an interference call in the regular season gets overlooked in playoff hockey. Don't know why the rulebook changes, but it does.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The idea is that as playoff hockey is more intense and players engage in constant 1 on 1 battles it would be nothing but special teams all game long if they called it as tight as in the regular season.

I don't mind it, gives the playoffs it's own flavor, but of course it leads to inconsistencies how they call it. But the refs will always be under the spotlight no matter what so meh.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
The worst part is that the rulebook changes during the game, according to the score etc. Refs have huge egos and want to be an important component of the game.

Just call it like you see it, period. It's the only way not to interfer with the game.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Just throw the rulebook in the trash if it doesn't mean anything in the playoffs. I just want consistency.

At least we don't have to watch NBA officiating. Man oh man.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
The worst part is that the rulebook changes during the game, according to the score etc. Refs have huge egos and want to be an important component of the game.

Just call it like you see it, period. It's the only way not to interfer with the game.
The rulebook changing and them calling it less in more important games/moments is the exact evidence that shows they DON'T want to be an important component of the game.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I often hear that it's better in the playoffs, because the refs just "let them play", and it makes for better hockey. I agree, but if everyone agrees that its so great, then why doesn't the NHL have the refs simply call the game that same way during the regular season?

It's really just one more way that the league tells the fans: "The regular season games don't mean much", and I think that's a weird message to send to people you're trying to get the amount of money the league is asking to enjoy their product.

And the lack of consistency throughout the year is frustrating for everyone, not just the fans.

Reactions: NYCGroundhog
Feb 24, 2017
There'es always been the assumption that the NHL calls penalties in the playoffs differently than in the regular season...personally I think it's bull**** that a penalty call can differ between playoffs and the regular season...a penalty is a penalty period.... why do the rules change once the playoffs start?
You just discovered something nobody else ever has.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The rulebook changing and them calling it less in more important games/moments is the exact evidence that shows they DON'T want to be an important component of the game.
Yup. Refs are just another set of fallible humans who are painfully aware of the heightened stakes and scrutiny of these games. In an honest attempt to be invisible guiding hands, they overcompensate and simply become invisible.

Thankless job. And that's why I've changed my mind about leaving my career and going to ref-school. You guys don't deserve me.

Reactions: dukeofjive

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I often hear that it's better in the playoffs, because the refs just "let them play", and it makes for better hockey. I agree, but if everyone agrees that its so great, then why doesn't the NHL have the refs simply call the game that same way during the regular season?

It's really just one more way that the league tells the fans: "The regular season games don't mean much", and I think that's a weird message to send to people you're trying to get the amount of money the league is asking to enjoy their product.

And the lack of consistency throughout the year is frustrating for everyone, not just the fans.

It’s because more guys would get hurt. One reason why the playoffs are so tough is because the refs put the whistles away. At least late in the playoffs they do. This isn’t good for smaller guys unless they can skate fast and aware enough to avoid guys. There would be more allowed interference like the one you saw Wilson did on March and Girardi did on Ovi. All the other things players do at this time of year that go uncalled can be dangerous.

I think a reason why it’s more exciting for me is because of what is at stake and doesn’t have much to do with the refs putting the whistles away. However I think late in the playoffs it makes sense that they put them away. I don’t think it makes sense to do it this way during the regular season. It kind of adds another thing that you’re team has to overcome. Like I think the Lightning need to add a little more size to go with their speed. They get eaten up in the playoffs when the refs put the whistles away. They just haven’t been able to get past these last stages. Good enough to get there with their skill, not tough enough to get past it.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Makes no sense to sell one product for the actual season and then have something completely different for the random tournament. More and more I believe the playoffs are a random tournment that in no way, shape or form tells us who the “best” team.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Makes no sense to sell one product for the actual season and then have something completely different for the random tournament. More and more I believe the playoffs are a random tournment that in no way, shape or form tells us who the “best” team.

I don't believe the best team wins the Cup. Didn't think the Penguins were the best team this year, and don't think the Capitals or Knights are the best this year.

Winning a Stanley Cup takes an astronomical amount of luck. It is far more luck oriented than the NBA, MLB and NFL. Players shoot the puck, hoping it goes in off someone's ass, and that can be the game winning goal of the series.

While I don't think NHL officiating is the worst amongst the four major sports, it's up there and they're incompetent to a large degree. Their calls/missed calls further amplify the magnitude of luck in the sport.

All the playoffs show is [a] which team got hot in May, which team was consistent, and [c] what team had the most luck.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
1. The regular season is used to reorient the players on the priorities of the league. No sticks into the hands of a player. Don't do or get called. By the playoffs they aren't doing that anymore.

2. The league adjusts how they call the games one game at a time. They wanted to nip that crosschecking in the bud after g1 and by the end of g2 I think they had made their point.

3. This idea that referees not calling penalities lets the players decide it is a load of crap. If one team has a dominant power play, not calling penalties is literally penalizing that team. If one team has a crappy penalty kill, not calling penalties is protecting that team.

BTW, its been my feeling that the decrease in playoff power play opportunities is why the Caps prioritized Tom Wilson. They can call the games tight and the Caps get to use their PP. If they choose to let them play, then the Caps can turn loose Wilson. The way it has turned out is that the league doesn't want Caps series to be power play battles. Instead they are almost always highlt physical series. Remember the Islanders series a couple years ago. Few PPs. Mass amounts of hitting from both teams. Wilson with the series changing hit. A ppg for the Caps would have been better but the Caps didn't make that call

Last edited:

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
im sure all the people asking for consistency would love a weak but technically a hook in game 7 of the cup late in the third of a tie game

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A player decides the game when he takes a penalty. A ref is far more likely to "decide" a game when ignoring the rule book and letting obvious infractions slide.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
There'es always been the assumption that the NHL calls penalties in the playoffs differently than in the regular season...personally I think it's bull**** that a penalty call can differ between playoffs and the regular season...a penalty is a penalty period.... why do the rules change once the playoffs start?
is water wet ?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Normally I’d say it’s the same, in that it’s inconsistent... but this year it absolutely seems significantly less consistent. And huddle ups. Sometimes they cant do it, sometimes they can. Sometimes they will, sometimes they just won’t.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
im sure all the people asking for consistency would love a weak but technically a hook in game 7 of the cup late in the third of a tie game

Yes, I would. If they called it like that in the regular season, and they called it like that from puck drop of game one of the playoffs, then players would adjust. If the player did not adjust and made a "weak" hook [if it's a hook by the rule book it should be called] that player deserves it.

Reactions: Icarium

pezpunk

May 3, 2013
yes. next question?

the NHL has a real reffing problem. i dunno if it's solvable, but it's a problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3